A Challenge for the Expert Reactor Designer

• Here's the challenge: Design a reactor that meets the following requirements:

-Must be at most a MK2
    -Can have external water cooling
    -Can not be a CASUC
    -Efficiency 3 or more
    -Cooldown must be below 30 seconds
    -Must be HV or EV

Try to get AS CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to the requirements.
    That's it. Get to work! :P

EDIT: Ok, I've had my fun seeing how close you guys get, but since this challenge is practically impossible, I'm not going to check back on this thread. Also, if a Moderator comes across this thread, please lock it. Thanks to everyone who posted, and goodbye.

COMING !SOON: Melumpkins, the Addon!

• That's a tall order.

I'd suggest putting priorities on which of those is most important to you, because you aren't going to find all that in a single reactor. I responded to a much less ambitious request that also was unfortunately not possible with proof here http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=42434#post42434.

I'll pull out some highlights, and link them up to your requests.

I generally assume this, it is factored in to remaining designs.

-Can NOT be a CASUC
    This allows for 6 chambers, and eliminates SUC as even a stack of ice is inferior to a cooling cell.

-MUST be AT MOST a MK2
    128 heat generated is over the maximum for mark II. At that heat and above, parts melt before cycle completion

-Cooldown MUST be below 30 seconds
    73 heat generated is over the maximum for mark I (30s cooldown is approaching mark I). Above that and parts need time to cool down

-Must be HV or EV
    this design constraint is confusing. HV is 512 eu/p. Reactors put out whatever eu/p they generate, a factor of 10. You may not need to make this a design constraint if you have a transformer on the reactor output it will just convert power to the voltage of your choice. If you need to make the reactor spit out 512 eu packets, it ain't gonna happen. Have it spit whatever sized packets into and HV/EV transformer and you get 512/2048 eu packets out.

-Efficiency 3 or more
    4u in a square is the smallest config of u that generates energy efficiency 3. Surrounded by appropriate cooling, that is 96 heat generated. This exceeds your mark I requirement (or Mark II - e). 6u in a rectangle is the minimum u config to get > 3 energy efficiency @ 3.33 efficiency. It generates 176 heat, and thus cannot even be a mark II.
    Duezman's efficiency 3 mark II is the best (lowest cooldown, highest eff eu/t).
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…4k87s7mw1b5s3rmkfdlebhmv5
    Efficiency 3 will absolutely require a cool down period. Greater than 3 efficiency will require you to bust out your redstone skills on setting up a timer.

With current available parts limiting mark I designs to well below the heat required for efficiency 3 uranium consumption, you have to pick between more uranium consumed or more time & risk taken to get the same energy. Of course it's easy to demand both, but design forces a trade off.

Thanks for Giving drill access to miners!

• simple put, imposible.

eff 3+ generates to much heat to cool, it wil melt before it finishes an cycle.

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Lol. I love how people are saying that this is impossible! I MEANT for this to be impossible! What this challenge was meant to be was something for someone to do in their spare time. I already know the constraints of Reactors, and I was REALLY bored when I made this challenge.

What this really is, is an experiment to see how people would react (lol, reactor pun!) to an impossible challenge! So far, I'm loving the results!

PS: Edited the OP to make it a LITTLE more possible!

• Lol. I love how people are saying that this is impossible! I MEANT for this to be impossible! What this challenge was meant to be was something for someone to do in their spare time. I already know the constraints of Reactors, and I was REALLY bored when I made this challenge.

What this really is, is an experiment to see how people would react (lol, reactor pun!) to an impossible challenge! So far, I'm loving the results!

PS: Edited the OP to make it a LITTLE more possible!

There have been 20 ppl before you asking the same they all got as answer its impossible with current components. Most ppl who are actively reading this forum know its impossible.

• But the difference is I'm not asking for it, I'm making a joke.

i can apreciate an joke ;) dont worry, no offence taken haha. was also my wish to create an 3 eff+ reactor :P

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• challenge fulfilled
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…807o86gbqrpiroenlsh82x8hs

-Must be at most a MK2

MK1

has external water cooling

-Can not be a CASUC

no SUC

-Efficiency 3 or more

eff 3

-Cooldown must be below 30 seconds

12 sec cool down

-Must be HV or EV

either say 5 out of 6 isn't bad or build 50 of them.

I know this design is impractical and possibly inaccurate and cheating but the OP didn't specify practicality, accuracy, or no cheating :D

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• He asked for a reactor thats a breeder :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

And yep planner still sucks at calculating efficiency in breeders

• so stick a few depleted isotope cells in there and it no longer counts as a reactor?

well I feel like a big noob now :whistling:

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• He asked for a reactor thats a breeder :cursing: :cursing: :cursing: :cursing:

And yep planner still sucks at calculating efficiency in breeders

What? When did I say it has to be a breeder? Or, for that matter, anything about breeders? Anyway, Congrats, PassingLurker, for finding a loophole in my challenge!

• well apparently there was a bug in the reactor planner to get the 3 eff and that is now fixed so now i need to cook up something else.

EDIT: done
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…rjfhop57cmlpr6o5yx58en6tc
    quick and dirty.
    its a regular icebox SUC design
    to get HV or EV build more than one of them
    should fill all requirements

• Would be perfect, but I said no SUC designs, as that would be too easy. Other then that, it seems to be good!

• you said no CASUC(Continuously Applied Single Use Coolants)
    this is just SUC all of the ice you are going to use for the duration of the cycle is in the reactor already
    I had another quick and dirty design with no SUC but you would need to build and cycle over 180 of them to fill the cooldown requirement.

this is just SUC all of the ice you are going to use for the duration of the cycle is in the reactor already
    I had another quick and dirty design with no SUC but you would need to build and cycle over 180 of them to fill the cooldown requirement.

Again, loopholes! :D

Fact: Its a CASUC....How else can the reactor planner say its a mk1 that can run endless cycles. I smell another bug in the planner.