[SUGGESTION] Flashlight/electric lantern + finite torches?

• Two suggestions I'd like to make. First, possibly a directional light source (or nondirectional if needed be) that is held by a player and lights up their surroundings powered by electricity? (obviously already made in other mods, but it'll be more HAYOish because it's industrial and electrical!)
    And for two, perhaps there could be a way to make vanilla torches deplete slowly over time, become gradually lower powered before dying out and perhaps drop as ashes? (just as a placeholder, I'm not sure what IC would use ashes for but it maybe be emergent with time) This may make industrial lighting be a bit more relevant in gameplay. Obviously config-able because of the people who will obviously complain about such a change.

And for last, config options for luminators to change energy consumption and storage pwease? :3

• the devs said luminators are already slated for an overhaul. the devs also don't like adding items with out the item being useful(so no placeholders). if you ask me finite torches sound like a pointless nerf there are lots of other ways to make the game harder for yourself but there is no point forcing that desire on others.

directional lighting i believe is limited by the minecraft engine so that is also unlikely to happen

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• if you ask me finite torches sound like a pointless nerf there are lots of other ways to make the game harder for yourself but there is no point forcing that desire on others.

I wouldn't EXACTLY call it useless or forced, as it'll make luminators more useful and desirable and as well as be configable hopefully?
    And perhaps to make it simpler on torches is that they don't drop when they burn out, but become innactive torches, which it'll be easier to 'recharge' by right clicking it with a coal or charcoal?

• I wouldn't EXACTLY call it useless or forced, as it'll make luminators more useful and desirable and as well as be configable hopefully?
    And perhaps to make it simpler on torches is that they don't drop when they burn out, but become innactive torches, which it'll be easier to 'recharge' by right clicking it with a coal or charcoal?

Modifying vainilla items are usually frowned upon, unless you have a real god damn reason to do so. They are fine the way there are no need to nerf them, after all this is a industrial mod not a illumination mod.

And yeah moveable light sources are a pain in the butt, use dynamic lights (Made by Atomik Striker in the Minecraft Forums) if you want to carry a torch to light your path.

• a nerf is still a nerf. if you want finite lighting so you can challenge yourself with furnaces, and flint and steel. then come back tell us how much fun you had and if you still want this idea to move forward.

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• "Modifying vainilla items are usually frowned upon, unless you have a real god damn reason to do so. They are fine the way there are no need to nerf them, after all this is a industrial mod not a illumination mod" That's why I said that it should be configable, so that the people who want their luminators to be any more useful than torches can get that at least. :/

"And yeah moveable light sources are a pain in the butt, use dynamic lights (Made by Atomik Striker in the Minecraft Forums) if you want to carry a torch to light your path."
    The difference is that it would be a DEPLETABLE moving light source, as to make some use of the many EUs you've been getting rather than having an infinite + 1 nightstick just because you put a bit of coal and a torch together.
    Edit: Everything in classic "" in this post because I keep messing up quotes.

• AGAIN its not possible its a limitation of the minecraft engine

and you haven't given us a good reason why this should happen (to encourage lumintator use is not a good reason they are laggy when set up wrong)

• Not every first world problem can be solved with Config file, so drop that dammit.

And like the post above me said, MOVEABLE LIGHT SOURCES ARENT POSSIBLE IN IC2.

Fuck i got mad.

And now that i see the post above, hes right. Luminators could become the next Solar panel regarding SMP lag. (And this time around you can't build 512 Luminators in one block)

• the lag i was refering to wasn't the EUnet its when your whole system is power starved the flickering effect you get can even bring you down in ssp

• And now that i see the post above, hes right. Luminators could become the next Solar panel regarding SMP lag. (And this time around you can't build 512 Luminators in one block)

Compact Spot light (compact luminators), 1HV transformer+512 Luminators lights up a 64 radius area and only takes up one block? /trololol

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG