Suggestion: Overworld underground continuation using nether/end dimension.

• Official Post

Make IC², vanilla and new ores [Silver, other suggested ores] spawn at nether/end, making players explore more the new dimensions.
    This making the nether/end not a fantasy dimension, but a continuation of overworld underground , "never" explored by man.
    Only thing is that nether/end generation would have to be altered highly, is this possible to code?

Actually my idea is to make only layers 128- 258 (above nether bedrock) generation altered to make a continuation for overworld underground.
    Or the whole end dimension [and removing the enderdragon, SMP servers would use a converter tool to remove enderdragon?]

To reach deep underground you would have to fall into void in the overworld (and bedrock would have to be changed into obsidian or something like)
    deep underground stones would have an increased hardness [about 3-4 times harder],
    ore veins would be bigger and more common,
    lava would be even more common,
    players drowns (loses air) in this dimension due lack of (good)air, [unless protected with Anti-hazard suit]
    players take heat damage every X second due earth heat. [same as above]

Common Antihazard suit (rubber) lasts for 15 minutes before deterioration, this needing to be replaced.
    Advanced Antihazard suit (quantum suit) lasts for 1h before energy depletes, this needing to be recharged.

IC² stuff behavior would have to be altered due higher temperature as:
    Nuclear reactor heats instead of cooling inside deep underground.
    Geothermal generator and generator efficiency gets increased by X%

New item: Iridium drill
    _I_
    IDI
    ILI

I = Iridium plates
    D = Diamond drill
    L = lapotron crystal

Iridium drill works about 1.5x times faster than diamond drill

• The end can also be lumped into that.

true but it appears he is trying to make an tempt at turning the magical realm of the nether into scientific realm by mixing it with logic and turning it into a sort of final frontier type thing

EDIT: DOH! ninja'ed again

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• i like it, but it would be more CPU stressing for the PC/Servers...

imagine, loading the nether/overworld together into one chunk, including the mobs.

how would we prevent the Ghasts finding their way to the overworld? (making them unable to pas throu obsidian?)

the suits, sounds good. exploring there un protected kills you, duo to heat and lack of air..

only the lack of air - air is everywhere, deeper into the ground air pressure is higher then on the surface duo to...(click the link inserted in the spoiler)
    so the protection suit would protect against extreme air pressure's

but i must say, i think this alters base files of mc, and thus wil not be coded by alblaka becouse he doesnt want to edit these sensetive files....
    the overal idea if fantastic! but i doubt it wil be implemented...

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• Official Post

My idea is not to load both dimensions at one chunk, but when player reaches -5 Y at overworld (void) he gets "teleported" to 257/258 Y deep underground dimension

It would change only map generation (except for heat/air pressure)

using the end is not bad, player goes to 100000+ far away from where enderdragon spawns (50,y,50)

if player goes to Y -5 at X 100 and Z 100, he teleports to Y257 X100100 Z100100

• here is an idea we still do the world gen thing above layer128 and call it the "pressure zone"(more techy name than limbo) then we wrap nether portals in some techno bable and combine them them with telepoters to make worm hole generators which will let the user generate a portal tile that is linked with the wormhole generator any where the player wishes in the pressure zone or the end(other areas lack the unique temporal properties to form and stabilize a wormhole on the other end with out hardware so if you tried to wormhole to someplace else in the overworld you would be spaghettifide) that way we don't need to actually link the dimensions and we have a scifi-ish realm to explore. the big problem is the limbo space that the preasure zone will occupy may only be temporary and mojang may eventually extend the nether up there

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.

• ah, i see now.

use the end, to generate an nether like biome (if i can call it like that)

harder rock as you proceed deeper and deeper (% per layer down?)
    until the density of the rock is THAT high that even with an mining laser, an full powered long range shot would only break 1 block of stone.
    and at that density, the bedrock forms.

i love the idea, its realistic, and posible. i hope anybody is up to the chalenge...

right, time to get serious...
    i wil be offline for weeks and possibly months at an time. if you have anything to add to an post i made, and would like me to know. you are welcome to pm me, and i wil reply as soon as i am able to do so.

• unfortunately i think new dimensions have been shot down in the past by alblaka so this maybe limited to the realm of addons

• its the same sort of suggestion the only difference is instead of building a new shack and filling it with boxes of coolstuff you want to clear out an existing shack.

• i think it's a great idea but unlikely to be added due to it not being their "cup of tea" and it requiring ALOT of coding.

"the more people i kill, the better the chances are that i got the right one" ~Goblin Assassin: MtG

• Deep underground could be a good way (even hard to code) to add new ores to ic². Even those that doesn't have much utilities (also adding more ores gives people new ideas)

Adding more ores without any ideas to use those ores for its a useless endevour, see the "Another Silver Idea" thread for more info.

• Official Post

Adding more ores without any ideas to use those ores for its a useless endevour, see the "Another Silver Idea" thread for more info.

There were a few ideas for new ores. Few, but valid.
    Those new ores could get more uses as time goes.

An example is Tungsten ore from RP2, it is nearly useless now, later it may have some, or lots of uses.

• There were a few ideas for new ores. Few, but valid.
    Those new ores could get more uses as time goes.

An example is Tungsten ore from RP2, it is nearly useless now, later it may have some, or lots of uses.

I knew you would use that example, let me break your cloud in there:

Eloraam have planned every single feature that it will come from this PR4 to the official release, that includes the uses for the 3 gems, silver, tugnsten and similars. She decided to add those ores earlier so people didnt had to make new worlds with the official release.

So no, she did not simply say "Oh im gonna add this useless ore, and maybe with some time a few uses will come to me", she must have said something along the lines of "Im gonna add this ore right now because i know what im going to use it for in the future".

The IC2 dev team DOESN'T need new ores ideas, they need new machines and similar ideas and if necessary new ores could be made to make the recipes of those new machine on similar ideas.

• Official Post

New ores will fit into new machines, as people suggests machines and other stuff.
    And into some recipes as a substitute
    so why not adding them now, than never?
    deep underground is an idea to add more caves,ores, and a unknown world full of surprises to explore. Encouraging hand mining
    (quarries and other stuff are not possible at deep underground since it is a different dimension)

And, really, I could never read a positive reply from you FenixR. You are really an asshole :P

• New ores will fit into new machines, as people suggests machines and other stuff.
    And into some recipes as a substitute
    so why not adding them now, than never?
    deep underground is an idea to add more caves,ores, and a unknown world full of surprises to explore.

And, really, I could never read a positive reply from you FenixR. You are really an asshole :P

You got the chain of development wrong, first you devise the uses of the ore, then you insert it. "It might be useful" isnt a valid reason to add something new.

And i didnt get that title for nothing, and being a asshole or a saint doesnt change my logic, only the way i decide to dress it.