Suggestion: Magnetic Propulsion Plating

• Taking a look at the "Pneumatic Tubes" suggestion I liked the concept of having a system that carries you from place to place, but felt it could be executed in a much more simple fashion. As we already have Poles and Magnetizers for veritcal movement, how about something for the horizontal? Enter the idea for Magnetic Propulsion Plating.

Propulsion plating is powered like poles by a magnetizer hooked up to one side. When stepping onto the plating while wearing metal boots you would accelerate to incredibly fast speeds in the direction you were facing, eating some amount of stored EU like the Pole, until stepping back onto another surface.

An additional idea is that by powering it with sufficient EU current from below using cables you could create an electrically charged floor that damages player and mobs like high voltage.

Magnetic Propulsion Plating would be a full block and borrow heavily from the coding used in Poles, and HC voltage if the second idea were also implemented, giving a relatively simple method of making IndustrialCraft players masters of both the vertical and the horizontal.

Possible recipe ideas could include:

MinecraftSquid MinecraftSquid MinecraftSquid | MinecraftSquid = Electric Fence
    MinecraftSpider :cursing: MinecraftSpider | MinecraftSpider = Wires (of an appropriate type) :cursing: = BatBox, Integ-Circuit, or something of the sort.
    MinecraftWolf MinecraftWolf MinecraftWolf | MinecraftWolf = Reinforced Iron or some kind of Metal if the floor can be charged into an electric death floor or Rubber if not (for insulation).

Recipe subject to whatever Alblaka or the rest of the team thinks in fair. Would probably provide several blocks worth though for easy creation of magnetic propulsion lanes and stations or mob death-trap rooms.

• i like the idea of the horizontal movement, but not the other idea ... to overpowered

I added the shock floor option for 2 main reasons:

1. Since you're already channeling negative ions at a low rate to reduce friction, increasing the flow too high could reach lethal levels.

2. You could coat the floor of a room in HV cables to essentially get the same effect, This would just be a much more pleasant looking alternative.

As for the whole idea, the best reason to add it .

• oh ... wait ... shouldn´t have a youtube video in the background and read this thread
    i just found out that it has nothing to do with mob traps :D
    overall a very good idea ;)

• No, not a monorail, as Alblaka is already adding electric minecarts. I'm talking about something that can be used on foot like "roads" only with more of a traditional IC flavor.

• I like it, would be interesting.

I5 2500K | 4GB Cosair Vengence | Radeon 6850 | Rosewill 600w PSU | GigaByte Z68MA | CM Elite 311 | Dell 19" 720p (upgrading soon!)| Hitachi 500 GB 7200 HDD | LG 24X |Windows 7 (Genuine!)
    Alblaka in a Lightning Rod suggestion thread...[/size]