Is it safe to mess around with crops yet?

• This was about 1 month ago.

Long story short. I had a huge base which had lasted for over a month without any problems. Then I started playing around with the IC crops. Spent about 10 hours growing and breeding crops. Then the entire region where I was growing crops became corrupted. If a player came to within about 250 blocks of the area I was growing crops on then that player would go down to about 1 FPS and the entire server would start lagging for everyone. As soon as the player got out of the area the server lag would stop. This had never happened before in the servers history and it started a few hours after making the crop plantation. It was a tekkit server but the only devices used in the base was IC machines.

I nuked the entire base to destroy every crop but the laggy region still remained and even today if anyone goes near that area their screen freezes the whole server lags.

For this reason I haven't dared touch the IC crops again because I'd really prefer not to lose another base.

• Which version were you on, and what other mods did you have? If you had railcraft, that could of been part of the problem. Railcraft includes an old version of the API that clashes with the crops, and tends to crash clients/servers. In newer versions(1.71+) I haven't had any issues with crops, other than 1.81's cropnalyzer being broken, but oh well.

• Maybe it wasn't the crops, maybe there is a huge amount of entities in that region? I think there is an unofficial build for McEdit that works with 1.2. You can use that to check if there are entities there, just go to options and make sure "Show Entities" is checked, and look for red cubes.

• I did indeed have railcraft at the time but I didn't use any of its items if that makes a difference. This base was located on an ocean platform so the entities were very few. I know that running too many IC devices and having power travel through too much wire can cause severe lag but if this was the case then it should all have been cleared up when the whole base was nuked and not a single machine or object remained.

• Having any railcraft objects doesn't matter. Open up the railcraft mod, and delete the "ic2" folder inside it. That should fix any railcraft related problems. That could have done the initial corruption, but if a chunk is corrupted the only real fix is to remove it. If you know the exact chunk(s) you could use an NBT editor and delete them manually, though with a nuclear hole there, you'll probably have a huge area to remove :P

• I'll trust that it has been patched by now. The nuclear crater and just leaving the area will be enough of a fix since no one else has access to that area anyway. Thanks for the advice though, it really cleared things up.