[Suggestion] Lower wind mill EU at which they break

• First of all: please don't mix in other mods in this discussion. Yes I know many ppl use RP out there but in the end fixing things by adding another mod does not fix the initial problem it just hides it.

Wind: Pros: Good energy gen if placed right, cheap. Cons: Breaks, takes lots of cable to bring to ground

A well placed wind mill does not break and outputs around 1.5 EU average (even more if you build higher). You need about 150 cables to wire the stuff down, which is about 38 iron (not that much) and 450 rubber (which is much but a renewable resource). So the con breaks down to: you need lots of rubber.
    On the other comment: I don't think you can count in player death in this one, as for once it is the player's own fault not to press the shift button and for second you don't really loose any resources through dieing unless you do something stupid, in which case it is the player's fault again. I as well don't find it very complicated to place the wire, all you need is jumping and repeatedly pressing the left mouse button.

Quote from Nanomanz

Solar: Pros: Easy to place and use, unlimited. Cons: Stops working at night and rain, needs view of sky

A solar generator outputs about 0.5 EU/t on average, actually slightly less if you calculate the rain time into that.

Quote from Nanomanz

Unmanned Water: Pros: Unlimited. Cons: Lowest energy gen of any generator

Beside that they are currently broken and therefore sometimes just won't work at all, they output 0.5 EU/t (considering that you get 2). Compared to the additional iron cost for wind generators, you get for the cost of a wind mill about 0.75 EU/t through water generators.

In general that means that the wind mill currently has the least disadvantages (you need lots of rubber) while having the highest average EU output (twice as much as water, 3 times as much as solar). If all those green generators are supposed to be about equal, wind mill energy needs to be cut in half.

• Official Post

After all you still have to know about wind mill mechanics or you can fail place [Wind mills are not easy to place as solars]. Wind mill special requirements are different [9x7x9], and not so obvious than solar or water generators.

If you want to mass wind mills using towers, EV is not the best thing to do. [You would need one HV transformer for each tower. Instead you would have to use glass fiber cables which increases cost ALOT]

Another con of wind mills is that you CAN'T hide it anyway. Solar can be hidden using RP covers [underground]. Water can be built anywhere. Fuel generators too.

And, why you want to nerf it? You can config its Eu output by yourself.
    Default generation value is ok in my opinion.

Another con of wind mills is that you CAN'T hide it anyway.

Well, you can still by-pass this aspect by using Buildcraft + Teleporter pipes + Transformers in which you can convert EU's to MJ's and then 'teleport' the BC power to a new point in which to receive it. Yeah, it requires another mod and add-on's but is still doable...

I still disagree with the argument over the default value.. Just use your config. file or find a new server ffs...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• Well, you can still by-pass this aspect by using Buildcraft + Teleporter pipes + Transformers in which you can convert EU's to MJ's and then 'teleport' the BC power to a new point in which to receive it. Yeah, it requires another mod and add-on's but is still doable...

I still disagree with the argument over the default value.. Just use your config. file or find a new server ffs...

indeed so much more is possible when extra mods and addons are thrown in for example you can rig up any generator to out perform wind and solar farms

fuel generator: cobble gen fueled scrap factory with redpower2
    geo generator: buildcraft pumps in the nether
    nuclear reactor: casucs with redpower2 or build craft
    watermill: bucket power with redpower2
    thaumic generator: crop farming/harvesting seals work on ic2 crops so how much vis are nether warts worth?
    for more possibilities just tag "with EE" on the end of all of these

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Official Post

I have not used Capslock. Capslock is for Noobs. :D

• I have not used Capslock. Capslock is for Noobs. :D

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

• Here are some comments:

Thanks for adding all that stuff SpwnX, I couldn't think of that much when I posted it.

HAHAHHAHAHAHHA. It's funny because you only replied to half my post :p

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• If you want to mass wind mills using towers, EV is not the best thing to do. [You would need one HV transformer for each tower. Instead you would have to use glass fiber cables which increases cost ALOT]

You still haven't explained to me why HV is better than EV. Mind doing that?

• You still haven't explained to me why HV is better than EV. Mind doing that?

I suppose it's because glass fibre cables can't transport EV, only HV or lower.

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.

• On solars and RP covers, we use the vanilla Minecraft method (skylight at the block) to detect the line of sight to the sky. Writing our own iterator will make the already bad CPU issues with solars even worse.

• On solars and RP covers, we use the vanilla Minecraft method (skylight at the block) to detect the line of sight to the sky. Writing our own iterator will make the already bad CPU issues with solars even worse.

Do you use the on block update or do you check periodically?