[suggestion] Redesing distance loss in cables

• I still cant stand how the energy loss in cables today. Longing for the old industrialcraft .... when we low-voltage for short distances and hi voltage for long distances.
    This is not practical for IC ².
    Or you only use fiber optics for everything, or we made a chian of lv transformers. Using high voltage is a disadvantage, should be an advantage.
    I suggest:
    It would be possible to decrease the resistance of "best" cables (gold and hv cables), but ONLY for voltages suitable for them? For example, should be possible to send a HV package by 50 blocks in a HV cable without loss. This is because the HV cable is made for it. (50 is a random number. could be 40 or 64, BUT NOT 2)
    On the other hand, if you use the wrong cable, you should have a lot of loss. for example, if send a LV packet through a cable of gold, it would have lost every one or two blocks, But a MV packet would be able to walk 20 blocks with out issues.
    That way, would be useful we have 5 tiers of voltages!

• hv cables already do this just in a different way. if your sending 32 LV packets (that's 32 eu per packet) over iron cable then you losing 32 eu every block(1 eu per packet), BUT if you send 1 EV packet(thats 1024 EU per packet) then you only lose 1 eu per block

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

Longing for the old industrialcraft .... when we low-voltage for short distances and hi voltage for long distances.

You also don't recall how broken it was to allow such feature, as when MV was later introduced, it was virtually useless due to how cables worked then (ya, I remember it actually)...

Plus, there are many work-arounds with other mods that you can use if you are clever enough to discover them. Some examples..

1. Buildcraft + Teleport Pipes + Transformers Add-on = Teleport power anywhere within your chunks. Use it to power your Miners today!

2. Ender storage = Two chests, Two EU storage blocks, several batteries and Crystals... Need power somewhere? Place the Chests where you need them and open away!

3. vanilla Minecraft = Hey, look, mine carts with chests! How about we put rails up (Since they are cheap as piss with bronze) and push carts around full of batteries!

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• a modern wise man once said "never underestimate the bandwidth of a data-tape laden station wagon speeding down the highway" the same can be said of storage carts full of batteries (or Electrolyzed Water Cells )

true balance is impossible in video games the best one can hope for is to make it really hard to guess which of 2 choices are better.
    and remember kids "NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF JOKES!"

"never underestimate the bandwidth of a data-tape laden station wagon speeding down the highway"

Sounds like a server owner problem and not a player one :P

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• EV has the lowest EU lost per block, by percent. Nuff said.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Official Post

Good point. Same with Tin, I guess.

Tin can't be used for long distance transportation like glass fiber.
    (HV transformers every 37-39 glass fiber cables, depending on how much energy per tick you want to transfer at a time)

• Tin can't be used for long distance transportation like glass fiber.
    (HV transformers every 37-39 glass fiber cables, depending on how much energy per tick you want to transfer at a time)

Yes, but Tin has the same percentage loss as Glass Fiber up to (40?) blocks... Anyway, I meant the standard cables, (Copper, Gold, HV) because I consider the Glass Fiber to be somewhat of a special case. (It's really expensive for semi-long lines)

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Copper or Gold HV cables IRL have tiny amounts of evergy loss. The only reason they lose so much is because of the huge Wattage going through them. So maby a rethink where enegy loss is dependant on the 4 variables:

Resistance
    EU/t
    Lenght
    Insuluation (Reducing loss via heat)

Ive also always wanted a better use of HV cables, Fiber optics are just to OP (Even if expencive)