Reactor Calculator App Questions

• ...alright. I'll add in the option to toggle between the two methods in the Menu.

Not quite what I meant. I mean to make sure the code is easy to change to the other equation in the case of it being the equation alblaka used, so that when he answers this thread to say which method it uses, you can change it easily.

• Two questions and two suggestions:

Can you build in support for command-line arguments? Specifically it would be nice to be able to call "Java -jar Sim.jar -info somereactor.sav" or somesuch and have it not start up the GUI at all, but just print out the info and exit...

The other thing is: what is the format of your save files?

Also, for the reactor info, you could build a "fast" switch in. Basicially it would run the sim for one step, and the extrapolate from there. It would work only if the reactor doesn't have water, lava, or ice (as those are the only things where their temperature contribution is temperature-dependent), and doesn't break components during operation. Basically you'd take the maximum increase in heat of any component (including the reactor itself), and extrapolate from there.

Finally, could you color-code the background of a) the cells and b) the reactor area, toggable from more red == higher heat to red = heat excess and blue = heat deficit? That would be useful for optimising reactors...

I'm considering building a reactor brute-forcer/random reactor generator (with some simple optimisations) - I have the logic flow planned but not the actual program written, but I won't be able to unless this happens (and the sim comes out:P)

• That's not a bad idea, just a couple "here's one that keeps itself cool with coolant cells, here's a sample of using a disperser" sorts of basic tutorial reactors. The same designs could be handy to have on the wiki, too.

Instead of just premade designs. why not a way to save/load designs.. so a repository of designs cand be kept.. and people can submit or download designs.

This way it's user choice, and for those willing to do so they can create tutorial designs for people to download.

• Instead of just premade designs. why not a way to save/load designs.. so a repository of designs cand be kept.. and people can submit or download designs.

This way it's user choice, and for those willing to do so they can create tutorial designs for people to download.

Well, assuming you had save/load support, It would be quite easy to include some save files, which ARE the premade designs. They are actual save files, rather than, say, buttons you can press to load the designs (although technically you would load them with buttons anyway..)

• Is this available for download?
    Also, why would you think that it needs to be written in java? Any language can do the job fine, some more easily than others, however java would not be one of the easier languages.

• As far as the breeding pulse amounts go, Alblaka mentioned on another thread that it was a staircase method just like that, and would also not go higher than 9k

EDIT: Also, sorry for overquote, didnt really want to take the time to delete this huge mess :P

• Official Post

If would be useful if you could show the final heat value and how long it would take to cool before it could run again without exploding. Also, possibly have the ability to set the heat value of components, it's not always optimum to assume you will be starting with all items containing 0 heat.