Efficient City Storage/Distribution System

• Hello, I run a small modded server where we have a need for a central energy storage facility.

We had 1 nuclear generator tied to a series of MFSU's which act as a battery system for our city. Our 1 nuclear generator was not quite enough for us, so we added a second as well as add a small solar farm for generation when no one is running the reactors. Our reactors put out about 1800 eu/t.

What is the best way to wire in all of that juice to one single battery farm? Also, our battery station is about 100 blocks from our nuclear reactors.

Below is what I tried, but it only accepts inputs from ONE of the reactors at a time for some reason. If both are on, I only get readings from one of the input legs.

:Energy Crystal: means redstone torch is powering it.

( :Energy Crystal: ) means the redstone torch is under the unit to the left
    . used as spacing

.......................................:Energy Crystal:
    Input Line 1 :Reactor: :Coal Chunk: :HV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :HV-Transformer: :HV-Transformer: .....:Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre:
    ............................................:Glass Fibre:.... :Glass Fibre:...................... :Glass Fibre:
    ........................................:Energy Crystal: :HV-Transformer: :Coal Chunk: :HV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :HV-Transformer: ( :Energy Crystal: ) :HV-Transformer: OUTPUTS
    .......................................:Energy Crystal: :Glass Fibre: .....:Glass Fibre:..................... :Glass Fibre:
    Input Line 2 :Reactor: :Coal Chunk: :HV-Transformer: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :HV-Transformer::HV-Transformer: ....:Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre:
    .......................................:Glass Fibre:
    .......................................:Glass Fibre: :Solar Panel: : Solar Input Line

• If this works good then more power to you but! if you are using build craft and or red power i suggest a set up shown similar to this lets play series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWuTNBybEfc&feature=relmfu

Skip to about 7Mins in as they are really derpy.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• i have rebuild your system in small scale with some geothermal generators and LV-transformers and i think i see the problem. the LV-transformer can only take a maximum input of 128EU/t. every generator which would produce more than that is idle. since your nuclear generators are already pumping around 1800EU/t it's possible that the same happens in your system cause of the solar plant since your HV-transformer can only take 2048EU/t.
    if that's the case the easiest solution would be to double the amount of HV-transformer at the connection between the two inputs and storage, since that is the bottleneck in your system, making it capable of handling 4096EU/t.

• What i would recommend doing is having an MFSU on each input line so if it dosen't get to the main storage system the energy dosen't get lost

GENERATION 28: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the
    generation. Social experiment.

Reactor Mk1 40 EU/t design (Needs water cooling)
    :Empty Cell: :Coolant Cell: :Empty Cell:
    :Coolant Cell: :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: :Coolant Cell:
    :Coolant Cell: :Uranium Cell: :Intergrated Heat Dispenser:
    :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: :Uranium Cell: :Coolant Cell:
    :Coolant Cell: :Intergrated Heat Dispenser: :Coolant Cell:
    :Empty Cell: :Coolant Cell: :Empty Cell:

• What i would recommend doing is having an MFSU on each input line so if it dosen't get to the main storage system the energy dosen't get lost

actually a good idea, they could do the same with a detector cable but that would lead to EU loss. set the MFSU to half full signal and let it disable the reactor, but you would need at least two MFSU per line since one can't handle a 900EU/t output.

• actually a good idea, they could do the same with a detector cable but that would lead to EU loss. set the MFSU to half full signal and let it disable the reactor, but you would need at least two MFSU per line since one can't handle a 900EU/t output.

If one MFSU go offline for a moment (because fully filled, for example), then other will be blown by 900 eu/t current. Just putting HVT is simpler and cheaper.
    Also, there is no "emit if half full" setting, sadly. Only useless " if partially filled"

• If one MFSU go offline for a moment (because fully filled, for example), then other will be blown by 900 eu/t current. Just putting HVT is simpler and cheaper.
    Also, there is no "emit if half full" setting, sadly. Only useless " if partially filled"

An MFSU (or any storage, really) can handle whatever EU/t you can throw at it until it fills up, so long as no individual EU packet is larger than its tier. You don't have to worry about blowing an MFSU if one in parallel with it fills up.

What I normally do for my main energy storage is have 4 series ranks of MFSUs wired in parallel, with crossovers every so often for balance.

Don't have a pic right now, but basically:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre: :MFS-Unit: :Glass Fibre:
    :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre:
    :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre: :Intergrated Plating: :Glass Fibre:

Power flows from left to right. You can adjust number of groups in the middle, and the number of MFSUs in the groups to suit your capacity needs. This has 2048 EU/t throughput, and the crossovers help ensure that the last rank of MFSUs stays more balanced so it can consistently output 2048. I usually won't put more than 4 MFSUs between crossovers. If you have times when you need even more than 2048 EU/t, you can make the last (or last few) ranks wider.

The crossovers are important, otherwise the game tends to pick one series to drain, which can limit your input it some fill completely, and output if some empty completely.

• [quote='baturinsky','index.php?page=Thread&postID=69519#post69519'][quote='Gaxx',index.php?page=Thread&postID=69495#post69495][An MFSU (or any storage, really) can handle whatever EU/t you can throw at it until it fills up, so long as no individual EU packet is larger than its tier. You don't have to worry about blowing an MFSU if one in parallel with it fills up.

Ah, yes, of cause, I meant 900 EU packets, not 900 EU/t. When there are many targets for packets, they do not alternate, they split several ways, resulting in smaller packets. So, if you feed output of stack of 900 eu/t reactors into two parallel MFSU they will be able to take it regardless of number of reactors. It useful with microcycle plant (i.e. reactors run 1-ish seconds on/50-ish seconds off on timer), so MFSU's can unload in off-cycle.