A different overclocker recipe

• with the new reactor changes the coolant cell got a new recipe, containing a water cell surrounded by 4 tin.
    now I noticed when crafting an overclocker that the overclocker recipe uses the new coolant cell. but that means you need 12 tin total to craft 1 overclocker...
    IMHO that's really expensive for just 1 overclocker, so I was hoping the coolant cells in the overclocker recipe could be changed to something else instead...

now I noticed when crafting an overclocker that the overclocker recipe uses the new coolant cell. but that means you need 12 tin total to craft 1 overclocker...

12 tin? Seriously?
    Even in original IC2, without additional mods, its VERY common.

• 12 tin? Seriously?
    Even in original IC2, without additional mods, its VERY common.

common yes, but that doesn't mean it's not expensive. it might be cheap in end game, but early on it's still quite expensive.
    it'd be nice if for example the overclocker would now only need 1 coolant cell instead of 3

common yes, but that doesn't mean it's not expensive. it might be cheap in end game, but early on it's still quite expensive.
    it'd be nice if for example the overclocker would now only need 1 coolant cell instead of 3

Why would you need an overclocker in early game?
    They were made as an late-game upgrades for your machines, instead of implementing some addon.

• Why would you need an overclocker in early game?
    They were made as an late-game upgrades for your machines, instead of implementing some addon.

because machines are not exactly fast without upgrades. I don't feel like waiting a long time to process all my items.
    and I do not believe upgrades are late-game items, since a batbox can provide enough energy to a machine with 4 overclockers.

• TARGET THE NUKES! WE'VE GOT A TINPINTCHER OVER HERE!
    Seriously though, what do you need that twelve tin for? It makes the reactor and overclockers more balanced, IMO. Also, the extra tin is about what? 48 cells? Use those to power a geothermal, and have that power multiple machines if you need too. Overclockers are not as efficient as multiple machines, as I'm SURE you already know, and usually require other upgrades too. Why bother? Put all your stuff in 10 different Macerators, and your problem is solved. And no, twelve tin is not much, it's probably about a vein of it, even without maceration. [/rant]

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• Having two machines performing operations vs. one machine performing 2x the operations is still the same amount of operations. If there is in fact any difference at all, it would be negligible.

Rendering 48 macerators and all it's cables, pipes, filters against six, making sounds, routing electricity and materials forth and back is not negligible, i think.

On the other hand, you need ridiculous amount of overclockers only if you have ridiculous amount of resources/electricity that need to be processed, so some more tin is not that much a problem.

TARGET THE NUKES! WE'VE GOT A TINPINTCHER OVER HERE!

Meh, according to "tinpintcher" definition i am a tinpintcher too, because i would better build a house out of tin than waste it for cells.

Rendering 48 macerators and all it's cables, pipes, filters against six, making sounds, routing electricity and materials forth and back is not negligible, i think.

If counting ONLY macerators, yes, perfomance is better, but apply cabels and pipes for that, and they become almost equal.

Actually no, because 10 macerators need more rendering, 5 macerators with overclockers needs faster rendering, so they are equal probably.

• Meh, according to "tinpintcher" definition i am a tinpintcher too, because i would better build a house out of tin than waste it for cells.

The way I use tinpintcher, at least, is someone who complains about using any sort of Tin whatsoever, and will do anything to avoid it. Example: Tinpintchers don't use biofuel, because it EATS THE CELLS! OH NO! THINK OF THE 1/4 OF A TIN INGOT WASTED WITH THAT CELL! You, in my book, aren't a "Tinpintcher", but a dragon (metal hoarder) or someone who uses practical solutions to Tin usage.
    [ontopic] I honestly think that the increase is not much, and Overclockers are getting a rework? Cool. Wonder how that will be.

Haikus are poems

They don't always make sense

Potato

• it's nice to hear that overclockers are getting a change, I'm interested what will change :)
    I guess there's not really a use to complain about the new recipe and suggesting another recipe.

and I must be honest, I did kind of whine about the tin :whistling:
    usually I have about 4 overclockers in each machine type before moving towards advanced ones, but I put 8 overclockers in one machine and it sucked up the EU like madness.
    I always used a watermill setup to supply EU, but since redpower hasn't been updated yet I haven't made one, so now I acutally saw how much EU a machine with 8 overclockers uses...