What is the perfect chunk of renewable generator ?

• Hi,

I'm currently playing on a server which allow us to buy 32x32 area where we can do whatever we want to do and I was thinking about making a huge renewable generation of energy to produce UUM but I want the more productive possible area so I need to share the height ( BedRock to 255) between solar panels, wind mills and water mills.

The first solution I see is this :

Layer - Generator

254 to 255 - Solar Panels
    h2 to 253 - Water Mills
    h1 to (h2 - 1) - Wind Mills
    Bedrock to (h1 - 1) - Water Mills

Could you help me to choise h1 and h2 in order to have a the better production and a low chance of breaking a windmill ?

Thanks you for your reading.

• ..Does the server happen to have compact solars?

If so, a 32x32 of HVs would cover your UU needs~

If not, try the windmill design on gregorius's lagfree base post.

• Official Post

My windmill design can work pretty good on tight spaces like yours.
    You can use both setups (compact and normal ones) which needs Heights 234 and 181 [With a small variation of 4 up and 20 down]
    And you can use solar panels above wind mills if you need to.

If you don't have Compact solars, link them into wind towers.
    If you do, use corners to wire them.

• Hi,

There isn't compact solars on my server, Me and the administrator think that this addon is a little cheat on our server because for us the space available also represente the capacity to produce energy and to be clear I'm not in lack of resources, I only want to produce the more energy in one area.

SpwnX : I've already saw your windmill design and I like it, it's very usefull.

So if I clearly understand to have the best and safest production on my area I should do this :

254 to 255 - Solar Panels
    235 to 253 - Water Mills
    181 to 234 - Wind Mills
    Bedrock to 180 - Water Mills

And like I don't care about the cost I'll make a compact version :)

• Official Post

For wind mills you would needs Heights 161 to 239
    First setup designed by me uses lower height (Highest wind mill is at Y 181) , second setup is a compactier one but requires higher height (Highest wind mill is at Y 234).
    About water mills there is a map with a compact setup designed by me : WatermillSetup

• For wind mills you would needs Heights 161 to 239
    First setup designed by me uses lower height (Highest wind mill is at Y 181) , second setup is a compactier one but requires higher height (Highest wind mill is at Y 234).
    About water mills there is a map with a compact setup designed by me : WatermillSetup

Ok thanks you, but for the water mills I think I'll make classic water tower with 4 columns of water mills per cable instead of 2 per cable like your map and I have counted a maximum of 49 water towers per area (32*32 with walls become 30*30 and we need 5 blocks for the first water tower then 4 for next water towers so I can have a 29*29 water towers area so they'll be two free lines, I think to use them to put output cables).

And I've seen that you use MV-transformer on your map to serve as a relay but I still don't understand how exactly it works, for example with two packets of 1 EU/t will it send two packets of 128EU/t every 6,4 seconds or send only one packet every 3,2 seconds ? If it's the first case I think I can use LV-transformer even if it's less boring to craft a MV-transformer.

• And I've seen that you use MV-transformer on your map to serve as a relay but I still don't understand how exactly it works, for example with two packets of 1 EU/t will it send two packets of 128EU/t every 6,4 seconds or send only one packet every 3,2 seconds ? If it's the first case I think I can use LV-transformer even if it's less boring to craft a MV-transformer.

a transformer collects incoming EU until it has enough to send out at least one package of it's spezific size, e.g. 128EU for a MW-transformer. the maximum output per t of a transformer is the higher EU value, 512EU/t for a MW-transformer via 4*128EU packages per tick. so if you're producing 140EU/t, the transformer will send out 1 package per t most of the time and somtimes 2 packages, as it stores the surplus 12EU/t until it has a second package to send.

• Official Post

a transformer collects incoming EU until it has enough to send out at least one package of it's spezific size, e.g. 128EU for a MW-transformer. the maximum output per t of a transformer is the higher EU value, 512EU/t for a MW-transformer via 4*128EU packages per tick. so if you're producing 140EU/t, the transformer will send out 1 package per t most of the time and somtimes 2 packages, as it stores the surplus 12EU/t until it has a second package to send.

I do use MV-Transformers as relays, but not that way.
    I revert them, so the 3 dot side will output HV packets (512EU) making distance loss minimal (Using glass fiber cables of course).

• Hi i've started it,

First making a hole :

Then I install tin cable (1911 cables)

And I've started to set up Water Mills

There are 157 WM per tower and each tower produces 23EU/t so 23 tower produce 550EU/t but when it'll be complete (up to the layer 169 before Wind mills) the production will raise 4500 EU/t :)

For the moment My friends and i need to mine because it's very costly :s

I'll give you some news later ;)

• Official Post

Your setup can be improved, by making each tower have only 2 water mills. Then more watermills can be fit inside. Want me to show?

• Official Post

I've discovered that my design fits the same number of watermills [with some free space, you will see on map i will upload], but my design watermills has a higher production than yours.
    Each watermill tower has 64 watermills for aesthetic, math and convenience reasons. [Same reason that windmill towers are 32 high]
    Map : WaterMap (Mass scale)

I can add windmills later to the map if you desire.

• ok,

I understand why your design is better but why on a sign in your map you're saying that a WM produces 13,06 EU/t if I count the number of block of water around a water mill in the middle of a tower there is 21 blocks and according to the wiki a WM
    will produces at least 0.21EU/t.

I can add windmills later to the map if you desire.

This map is sufficient to help me to undestand, thanks you.

I've discovered that my design fits the same number of watermills [with some free space, you will see on map i will upload], but my design watermills has a higher production than yours.
    Each watermill tower has 64 watermills for aesthetic, math and convenience reasons. [Same reason that windmill towers are 32 high]
    Map : WaterMap (Mass scale)

Why 64 ? If I put a cable with a length of 39 doesn't it better ? and also can I use MFE(up to 128EU/t) and MFSU (up to 512EU/t) instead of MV-transformer to transfer energy to economize space between each section and make a huge tower with nospace of water mills ervery 40 blocks (if I put 39 cables between each relay).

• Official Post

Each Water Mill tower produces 13,06 EU/t (64 water mills). MV transformers are cheaper and when reverted sends HV packets (512 EU/packet). Extra space used is very little compared to the costs of a HV transformer to achieve same effect as a reverted MV transformer.
    Convenience and math is due 64 is being one stack and i just have to get stacks of stuff to make watermills/windmills, instead of getting stacks + 5/8 stack for example.

• I hope this time I did the thing in the good way because it took us 3 hours to completely rebuild our installation.

The EU reader display 2032EU/t but I think it's a bug with the HV transformer because without it and with theory I obtain 900EU/t (instead of 655EU/t with my old design).

• Official Post

Don't measure transformer directly, measure the cable directly connected to it (waiting some seconds to increase average time) and you will get the right value.
    Are you using MV transformers or HV transformers?

Reverted MV transformer (redstoned, 3 dot side connected to cable) = HV transformer (not redstoned, 1 dot side connected to cable) if they are being used as a energy relay

• Do transformers have a limit of number of packet ? because I always thought that with an HV-transformer It limited to a total of 2048EU/t and with and reverted MV-transformer to a total of 512EU/t.