Suggestion: API hook for the debug item - IDebuggable

• Name: ic2.api.IDebuggable

Description:

It would be useful to have an IDebuggable interface available that would allow mods using the IC2 API to output their own message to the player when the debug item is clicked on their block(s).

Implementation on a mod's own tile entities would follow the same approach as any other interface in the ic2.api package.

Recipe: ;)

The interface:

This could be implemented in ItemDebug's right-click function with this:
    (the sendChat function is obviously just for demonstration)

Code
    TileEntity te = world.getBlockTileEntity(x, y, z);
    if ((te instanceof IDebuggable))
    {
    	IDebuggable dbg = (IDebuggable)te;
    	if (dbg.isDebuggable()) {
    		sendChat(player, dbg.getDebugText());
    	}
    }

• I would implement something like this to allow much more flexible CustomDebug method.

If block lack CustomDebug interface, we can list EVERY field also we can do this with method invocation without use of API or interface, but at cost of speed.

• it actually already implemented as interface, just hardcoded into base class.

The internal code checks for very specific interfaces and TE classes and outputs very specific data dependant upon what it finds. There is no "generic debug interface," as such, which is why this suggestion exists. : )

Btw, How did you got the Codetags working?

The code tags seem to be extremely particular about the line-endings that are pasted into the block, especially if you're using "Editor" mode. I switched to the "Source code" tab, to edit my text directly, and no longer had a problem.

I would implement something like this to allow much more flexible CustomDebug method.

The check for a non-null TE should be done within IC2's internal debugItem method and is beyond the scope of my Suggestion. That check would (should?) be done long before it even gets to the small block of test code that I supplied - if the TE was null, the code would complain at the first of its own checks. : )

That aside: the point of the IDebuggable interface was to make it so that the *block* could decide if and when it wanted to return a status message - if it wanted to, at all; if your block is inactive and has no status - isDebuggable() would return false and the process ends; if the block is active, it returns true and getDebugText() is polled for a string to send to the player using the debugItem.

If you always want to return a status, it's as simple as always returning true from isDebuggable().

Some people may not want their blocks to return a debug status at all times. Your method, unfortunately, lacks that functionality... and your method name isn't exactly clear as to its purpose.

If block lack CustomDebug interface, we can list EVERY field also we can do this with method invocation without use of API or interface, but at cost of speed.

Actually, you can shift-click use the debugItem and it switches to a different mode that does exactly that, when used on a block (displays all of the block's interfaces, fields and TE fields) - it's useful but exceptionally verbose X( and not very useful for a one- or two-line status message as it currently works on existing IC2 blocks.

• *we* can do anything, there is no limits, two possible methods exist:

add debug code into TE code
    add debug code into Debug code
    add eventhandler and register debuggers inside it, on execution enumerate every registered debug handler

3rd method is best, since you may register debug code for one class into other class, ever inside addons, without any need to edit original TE code.

If you always want to return a status, it's as simple as always returning true from isDebuggable().

without interface method class implementing interface WONT COMPILE and wont return INSTANCEOF

there is COMPLETELY no reason to check isDebuggable after checking instanceof

ps will wait for 107 or possibly other stable version to develop anything larger then 100 lines.

• *we* can do anything, there is no limits, two possible methods exist:
    add debug code into TE code
    add debug code into Debug code

I fail to see what either of those have to do with this interface and its use with the debugItem. If I want to dump info to the console, I can already do that in a multitude of ways. This interface is very specifically for allowing the "debugItem" (the little purple-squares thing) in IC2 to output a "chat string" to the item-user, in exactly the same way that it already does for existing IC2 blocks (that are hard-coded into the debugItem, in various ways).

For example: not every op or admin user on a server is going to have access to the console or logfiles and, therefore, it can't be guaranteed that those people will be able to check for your "console debug messages." This makes the debugItem the perfect tool for providing 'status debug messages' to them.

Extra example: when you're developing an IC2-reliant mod, being able to just click your item and get a status message right there and then, instead of having to "do stuff in the client" while simultaneously watching the console like a hawk, is exceptionally useful. As is having a helper/tester do something to a block WHILE you're clicking it with the debug item, right there in the client/world.

add eventhandler and register debuggers inside it, on execution enumerate every registered debug handler

That's complete overkill for something as simple as "showing a text string when you click a specific item on your block." You're overcomplicating things and suggesting an idea that could add significant overhead to using a single item on a single block.

3rd method is best, since you may register debug code for one class into other class, ever inside addons, without any need to edit original TE code.

This has nothing to do with addon or class debug and everything to do with a block relaying its immediate "status" when clicked on by a specific IC2 item. Again, you're massively overcomplicating something that's meant to be exceptionally simple to implement (as two interface method definitions).

without interface method class implementing interface WONT COMPILE and wont return INSTANCEOF

That's why they're abstract: you MUST define them. Are you being deliberately obtuse?

there is COMPLETELY no reason to check isDebuggable after checking instanceof

You're completely wrong: implementation of the interface simply informs the debugItem (IF it's clicked on the block) that "the block it just clicked MAY have a status message". The debugItem then tests the isDebuggable() method return and, if it's true, gets and prints the status message; if it's false, it can safely ignore it and continue on its merry way (for that click).

The isDebuggable() method exists so that the BLOCK can choose when IT WANTS to pass a status message to the debugItem, dependant entirely on its own internal state. Sometimes, it may want to provide a message; sometimes, it may not. Whether it does or not, may depend upon a config entry for the mod; it may depend on the status of something else, in the mod, entirely. The point is that such a decision has NO place in the debugItem's code itself and is best left to the mod implementing the interface: which is exactly as it should be.

I fail to understand how any of this is anything but clear. If you still don't get it, I'm just going to assume you're trolling.

I'm just going to assume you're trolling.

just do what you want, none trolling here (this thread).

Case 1: you dont know how block works and does not have source, so you not able to implement anything inside it's class, but want to debug this block:
    А) You code something generic and execute it, this possibly will reveal data you want.
    B) You hardcode params you need from block into your debugger and debug. (CURRENTLY IN IC2)
    C) You implement your own "interface" and allow user to map data into it via config or runtime. (HOW BUKKIT AND FORGE WORKS)

That's complete overkill

This way how forge and bukkit works, it may be overkill but this "industrial" (IRL) standart of software development

nothing to do with console here actually.

The debugItem then tests the isDebuggable() method return and, if it's true, gets and prints the status message; if it's false, it can safely ignore it and continue on its merry way (for that click).

useless code bloat, single method than return status message on demand, no additional calls, no additional checks request>answer, you going to execute method to check other method output and then again execute other method and again get it's output...

block can choose anything inside status request handler...

debugItem's code itself and is best left to the mod implementing the interface: which is exactly as it should be

you just completely ignore option to debug blocks that naturally does not support debugger, with your suggested implementation only blocks coded with interface will be debuggable and NONE will download and install your interface if everything that allowed by it is single method with already known name.

• just do what you want, none trolling here (this thread).

I love the "this thread" bit... heh. ; )

Case 1: you dont know how block works and does not have source, so you not able to implement anything inside it's class, but want to debug this block:
    А) You code something generic and execute it, this possibly will reveal data you want.
    B) You hardcode params you need from block into your debugger and debug. (CURRENTLY IN IC2)
    C) You implement your own "interface" and allow user to map data into it via config or runtime. (HOW BUKKIT AND FORGE WORKS)

I'm well aware of how forge works (though, I'll admit, I've completely avoided bukkit), but I think I now see what you're actually getting at and the functionality you're seeking (and why).

What you're suggesting could (would?), indeed, be useful but that's totally not what I'm looking to achieve with this Suggestion. : )

I'm seeking a very simple interface that's very specifically useful "for the block you're developing within your own mod." This interface shouldn't care about other blocks or other mods; it's purely for accessing a status/debug message in a test environment. It's as simple as it is because that's all it has to do. The "extraneous boolean test" is actually exceptionally useful, as it allows *your code* to choose *at any point*, whether you want a message (or not) for your block, and no-one else's.

That last, italicized part is the most important: this interface is not to allow hooks into other blocks or code! It is purely and simply to allow one item (the debugItem) to show a message when it's clicked on the block the interface is implemented on. That's it. Nothing more. It's that simple. There is not meant to be any mechanism for hooking into anything.

Regarding the boolean method: I suppose it would be just as easy to signal "no message," at any time, simply by returning a null or an empty string from the getDebugText() method (and the debugItem's code would ignore both) but I like to be explicit in my usage tests and it makes the supporting code look much cleaner (in my opinion).

The support/functionality you're looking for would, I think, deserve its own Suggestion, entirely, as the scope for that is much larger and would require significantly deeper hooks into IC2.

Mine is deliberately designed to be as simple as it looks: easy to implement on both the IC2dev and mod-maker sides.
    I suppose it could just as easily be called IDebugItem since that's all it's designed to be: an interface into that item. : )

Apologies for being so harsh by way of response - we were definitely looking at entirely different "levels" of debugging support. ; )