Decentralized Distribution of Steam (DDoS)

• NEW AND IMPROVED!

With the latest in advances in cooling tower technology, ShneekeyCraft Inc. has introduced a new line of reactors which takes full advantage of the C00ld0wn® REV.2d-6///628/104.3 unit.

First, we have our DDoS 6QUv2.0 Pocket Edition.
    EU/t: 720
    Eff: 6
    Micro-cycle time: 200 seconds
    Total EU output per full cycle: 144 Million
    Number of C00ld0wn® REV.2d-6///628/104.3 units required: 3

While it produces less EU/t than the typical, it takes full advantage of the 575 cooling cycle time of the REV.2d. It is advised to pause between micro-cycles to give the other components time to cool down before restarting. And it only needs three cooling towers.

However, if that isn't enough for your needs, we have something a little... larger.

DDoS 12QUv2.0
    EU/t: 1440
    Eff: 6
    Micro-cycle time: 197 Seconds
    Total EU output per cycle: 288 Million
    Number of C00ld0wn® REV.2d-6///628/104.3 units required: 6

As you can see, it cuts the safety margin a little closer to the bone, but you've still got a five second leeway. Double your EU output, double your number of C00ld0wn towers you need. However, the energy output is certainly impressive.

Now, for those with access to GregTech components, there are some interesting options available.

Replacing the Quad Uranium with Quad Plutonium Cells outputs 2880 EU/t for a total of 1,152,000,000 EU per cycle. Yes, that's right, over one BILLION EU per cycle! Of course, with an 84 second micro-cycle time, you'll be needing 14 REV.2d reactors to keep up with the heat. Replacing with 360k cooling cells unfortunately hits the melting point of the heat exchangers, thus actually ends up in needing two more cooling towers.

Using quad thorium cells has an interesting reaction. On the one hand, the micro-cycle time exceeds the cooldown time, meaning you only need two towers to handle all 12 cooling cells. However, at 288 EU/t, there are probably more cost-effective methods of generating this energy level output. Still, 288 Million EU out of a total cycle isn't a bad deal.

The pocket plant is scaled as you might expect. You'll need 7 REV.2d cooling towers for the Plutonium variant, which produces 1440 EU/t.

• Replacing with 360k cooling cells unfortunately hits the melting point of the heat exchangers, thus actually ends up in needing two more cooling towers.

Wouldn't you still be better off with the 360k cooling cells though, since you'd have longer micro-cycles, meaning less down time for the reactor, meaning higher effective eu/t?

• Wouldn't you still be better off with the 360k cooling cells though, since you'd have longer micro-cycles, meaning less down time for the reactor, meaning higher effective eu/t?

Yes. Because the vents and heat exchangers are heating up, you'll have to have a cool down period every micro-cycle, so the fewer micro-cycles, the better it is. However, you will need an extra two cooling towers, which are kinda pricey, so it's up to the individual to determine if it is cost effective for them.

• If you *really* want to be safe, you can use an in-line Item Detector attached to the Retriever pulling items into the reactor. This, in turn, is hooked up to a counter. As items go through the Item Detector, it pulses the Counter. Once all of the cooling cells have passed through, the counter lights up the AND gate to turn the reactor back on. That way, no matter how slow they take, it won't turn on until all the cooling cells are in the reactor.

Don't mean to spam, but I asked on the previous page what such a setup would look like (with the counter attached to the item detector + everything). I repeat it here because i've tried a few setups but none of them seem to work.

• Don't mean to spam, but I asked on the previous page what such a setup would look like (with the counter attached to the item detector + everything). I repeat it here because i've tried a few setups but none of them seem to work.

Ahh, right.

The easiest way is via ComputerCraft. The rp.setBundledOutput comand can be used to turn on and off different channels.

Then you run bundled cabling, with one color going to the generator-reactor. One color runs to the generator-reactor. The other color goes to the retriever and filter.

With the latest generation reactor, which has more than nine cooling cells, you have one cell that has no damage bar in the retriever and one that has a damage bar. Then you pulse that color a number of times equal to the number of cells in the reactor. Then a brief pause to ensure that all of the cells are transferred and none of the components have any residual heat, then the cycle starts over again.

The downside to this is a) knowledge of LUA (which really isn't that difficult), and b) when the game resets, so do the computers. There is a way to make it reset-resistant, involving the startup command.

The other way is to use RP2 logic circuits. It's immune to resets, but isn't as compact.

Either way, this is not a build intended for new users to play with, because there are many potential fault-points. I would strongly suggest a typical Mk I reactor until you are more familiar with RP2 logic gates and machines.

• you will need 7 of the new C00ld0wn® REV.2e-6///568/95
    to cool DDoS 12QUv2.0
    and 3.4 C00ld0wn® REV.2e-6///568/95
    for this DDoS 6QUv2.0 Pocket Edition.

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• you will need 7 of the new C00ld0wn® REV.2e-6///568/95
    to cool DDoS 12QUv2.0
    and 3.4 C00ld0wn® REV.2e-6///568/95
    for this DDoS 6QUv2.0 Pocket Edition.

Ahh, that was the problem! Oh well, at least the crater exposed a vein of Copper.

Currently, I'm working on improved heat dissipation within the generator-reactor itself. Unfortunately, that seems to be limited to the component heat vent's maximum capacity, which is rather disappointing. I've gotten my micro-cycle time to 200 seconds, but I fear more inventive re-engineering is going to be necessary to push that any further.

I have some ideas, but they are still in the designing stages.

DDoS-2.1 4QU/357 (Pocket Reactor)

DDoS-2.1 4UQ-NR/228

DDoS-2.1 6QU-NR/200

DDoS-2.1 6QU-NR/648

• I would just like to mention I tried building one of these myself, following the guide in the video on page 2. It worked perfectly, except when it came to putting the cells back in the reactor. Using the redstone setup in the video, the reactor came back on before all the fresh cells had been replaced in the reactor (i.e. they were still travelling through the pipes when the reactor came on). How can I make it so there is a longer delay before the reactor turns back on?

My design in the early video relies on the fact that there's an "invisible" 9-item buffer in between the reactor and the relay, which slots the cells in pretty much instantaneously. It relies on you have an extra 9 cells always in the 'circuit', obviously (ie. in the whole pipe system). The downside is it limits you to reactor designs needing no more than 9 cells. So the minute you need 10, you cannot rely on that relay holding enough in it's "buffer" to allow instant swapins - you will need to delay the reactor startup sufficiently enough for the additional cells to come down the pipes. The suggest of a counter linked to an item detector is the safest bet.

Best o'luck!

• Better design:

DDoS-2.1 6QU-NR/648

Change the scheme, alter the mood. Electrify the boys and girls if you'd be so kind.

[b][i][u][url=' [url='http://forum.industrial-craft.net/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=7745']HAYO CORP: Nuclear Power (FREE: Reactor Blueprints)

• Ok, i think i unlocked gregtech based CRCS systems. Rather than try for hybrid balance, split up the plutonium and thorium.

You'll want to use this for the plutonium (can be expanded of course).

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…zutgr3pjgd11m4n0myc40v5z4

With two of these for the thorium:

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…4qoju1aj4jredydzu7wn2y2o0

While the cost to set all that up would be insane, the combined efficiency comes to a whopping 24.

Incidentally, how many cooling towers would you need for all this?

• Ok, i think i unlocked gregtech based CRCS systems. Rather than try for hybrid balance, split up the plutonium and thorium.

You'll want to use this for the plutonium (can be expanded of course).

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…zutgr3pjgd11m4n0myc40v5z4

Slightly improved. Two more Quad-Plutonium and two more cooling cells. Same micro-cycle time (80s), more EU output, same efficiency, and only one NR per quad cell rather than two. Also filled up the other slots to make transfer easier.

Unfortunately, the cooling cycle for one of the most efficient 4 cell cooling towers is around 640s, that means you would need 8 cooling towers to keep it running.

Since we doubled the amount of Plutonium, we can also double the amount of Thorium here. Also, the problem with this setup is there are a LOT of blank spaces here. They will need to be filled up with plates, or you would have trouble transferring the cooling cells. However, if you need a 5:1 ratio, you're going to have to do it like that, because you can only fit four at a time up and down. If you were wanting a Thorium-positive system, you could set it up opposite something like this or a pair of the single-chamber versions.

• Slightly improved. Two more Quad-Plutonium and two more cooling cells. Same micro-cycle time (80s), more EU output, same efficiency, and only one NR per quad cell rather than two. Also filled up the other slots to make transfer easier.

Unfortunately, the cooling cycle for one of the most efficient 4 cell cooling towers is around 640s, that means you would need 8 cooling towers to keep it running.

Since we doubled the amount of Plutonium, we can also double the amount of Thorium here. Also, the problem with this setup is there are a LOT of blank spaces here. They will need to be filled up with plates, or you would have trouble transferring the cooling cells. However, if you need a 5:1 ratio, you're going to have to do it like that, because you can only fit four at a time up and down. If you were wanting a Thorium-positive system, you could set it up opposite something like this or a pair of the single-chamber versions.

Now, the cycle-time is greater than the cooldown time, so you'd need a 1:1 ratio. Which, for the single-chamber, is a pair of cooling towers, so four for the double-reactor.

• My earlier designs were 8 plutonium quad cells actually, but the thought of building 5 full sized reactors (for the thorium) and however many dozens of cooling towers suggested i should clamp down on it and build it minimum size.

As for empty space, shouldn't be an issue. You have to have automation that can put stuff in specific slots (which gregtech provides) regardless of the amount of empty slots, or you'll be boned the first time there's an empty isotope and cooling slot at the same time.

• My earlier designs were 8 plutonium quad cells actually, but the thought of building 5 full sized reactors (for the thorium) and however many dozens of cooling towers suggested i should clamp down on it and build it minimum size.

It would take 16 cooling towers to deal with that setup, since it has twice as many cooling cells, but the same micro-cycle time. Each thorium reactor would need a pair of them. So that would be a total of 26 cooling towers.

Actually... I almost wonder... hmmm, I'm going to crunch a few numbers and get back to you on that.

As for empty space, shouldn't be an issue. You have to have automation that can put stuff in specific slots (which gregtech provides) regardless of the amount of empty slots, or you'll be boned the first time there's an empty isotope and cooling slot at the same time.

Mmm... true.

• Well, I just tried building a DDOS reactor, but I noticed a problem. I have a filter pulling hot coolant cells out of the reactor, with hot collant cells in the filter's inventory. However, I noticed it now pulls out ALL coolant cells, regardless of whether or not they have a damage value. This definitely wasn't happening before, where only cells with damage values were pulled out. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

EDIT: By the way, can I just ask: how do you calculate the number of cooling chambers necessary for each reactor? Do you just divide the excess heat by the cooling per chamber? Or do you have to take into account the micro-cycle time as well? I asked because I want to use the 5440eu/t design on the 1st page, but I am unsure how many coolers I need. It produces 16416 excess heat, which should mean 16416/568 = 29 coolers required. Or is there more to it then that? (In case you're wondering about my fascination with that particular design, I decided I wanted this ridiculous energy setup to be as HAYO-ish as possible).

Edited once, last by Shakie666: Had more to say but didn't want to double post. ().

• Well, I just tried building a DDOS reactor, but I noticed a problem. I have a filter pulling hot coolant cells out of the reactor, with hot collant cells in the filter's inventory. However, I noticed it now pulls out ALL coolant cells, regardless of whether or not they have a damage value. This definitely wasn't happening before, where only cells with damage values were pulled out. Does anyone know what i'm doing wrong?

EDIT: By the way, can I just ask: how do you calculate the number of cooling chambers necessary for each reactor? Do you just divide the excess heat by the cooling per chamber? Or do you have to take into account the micro-cycle time as well? I asked because I want to use the 5440eu/t design on the 1st page, but I am unsure how many coolers I need. It produces 16416 excess heat, which should mean 16416/568 = 29 coolers required. Or is there more to it then that? (In case you're wondering about my fascination with that particular design, I decided I wanted this ridiculous energy setup to be as HAYO-ish as possible).

Well, here's the thing. I don't know what you are talking about with a 5440 EU/t design, because I certainly don't have any reactors capable of that. The most I can manage is 3840 EU/t and that's with GregTech components. However, you're looking at the wrong numbers, and some obsolete designs.

You might want to head over to the CRCS For Newbies discussion, which will give you some pointers. The big numbers you are looking for are a) micro-cycle time (how long before components start melting), and b) cooling-cycle time (how long it takes to cool a cell). Current cooling towers can only hold six cells at a time, but provide 95 cooling per tick.

For example, the linked reactor has a micro-cycle time of 80 seconds and contains sixteen cells. Therefore, the cooling cycle per cell comes out to about 632 seconds, meaning you're going to need 8 micro-cycles per cooling cycle. Which means you need 8 * (16/6) = 22 cooling towers to be effecitve. However, do keep in mind that with an 80 second micro-cycle time, you're going to be loosing a fair amount of effective EU/t output with constant downtimes. Using GregTech cooling components will significantly increase both micro-cycle and cooldown times, but will overall reduce the number of transfers necessary by a factor of six.

If you are wanting a particularly HAYOish setup, you may wish to consider multiple reactors in tandem. For example, the Pocket Reactor only needs a single chamber, produces a respectable 720 EU/t, and can be set up in serial. The important thing about this pocket reactor is that it only has six cooling cells in it, meaning one cooling tower has enough capacity to handle all the cells it provides.

So, it's got a micro-cycle time of 179, the C00ld0wn tower again has 632, which means 4 towers ought to keep each one going. You can either build them as independent units, or you can make them share cooling towers, either way works out well as long as you have enough cooling towers to keep all of your reactors running optimally.

Also, did your filter have damaged or undamaged cells? If you had both, then it will pull both out. The filter pulling the cells out of the reactor needs to have damaged cells in it, and the retriever pulling clean cells into the reactor must have only undamaged cells.

• The filter only has damaged cells in it. Granted, I think they're only
    1% damaged, since I made them solely for the filter, but the exact
    damage value shouldn't matter.

The 5440 eu/t reactor I was on about is this.
    Not the most efficient, but 5.67 isn't bad, and HAYO-ish. Even though
    it uses 360k cooling cells, the the number of micro-cycles per cooling
    cycle is the same - 8. It takes 24 cells, so I should need 8*(24/6) = 32
    towers. 3 more than I thought, but I should be able to squeeze them
    into the range of my chunk loader.

The other thing I was thinking is, neutron reflectors aren't exactly cheap, I think i'd only bother with them once I get iridium ones.

• There are sooo many reasons why that reactor is a bad idea.

To start with, you'd need to breed centrifuge and rebreed an entire stack of uranium to power it for a single cycle.

And probably more importantly, if it melts down it will put a hole in multiple layers of warded stone.

• Apparently I'm wrong on that second point, a blast power of over 400 does not destroy warded stone, there must be something in the code besides its blast resistance.