Pollution

• IC2 is a tech mod. It may be unrealistic. However, where does all of the byproducts of machine use go? Are they sent into the dimension of cake? Are they warped into chili cheese fries? Energy CANNOT be destroyed! That is why I am suggesting Pollution!

PART 1. SMOKE:
    The standard coal-powered generator is the most basic of the 6 power generators. It burns coal with out producing smoke. My basic suggestion for this is smoke. Smoke is released into the air when coal is burned in generators. 5 smoke particles are produced every minute a generator is constantly on. !hen smoke builds up and is released into the sky, the sky starts changing color. After 1000 particles worth of smoke release, the sky begins to turn slightly gray in the chunk you are in. After 10000 particles worth of smoke release, clouds become gray, and the sky is a lot more ominous. After 100000 particles are released, acid rain begins to fall. Acid rain is yellowish, and turns leaf blocks the color of desert leaves when hit. These leaves will no longer drop saplings. Eventually, the acid rain will began to start breaking leaf blocks. Finally, after 1 million particles are released, all plants except for cactus will refuse to grow. It should be noted that releasing smoke inside of a confined space will cause a fog effect inside of that space that builds up over time. Eventually, that fog will cause suffocation damage. This also applies to furnaces, and iron furnaces. However, because smoke is flammable too, generators have 5% more fuel efficiency

PART 2. AIR TANKS:
    To prevent this smoke spam, smoke can be placed into a new item called an AIR TANK. An air tank is a block, that when placed on top of a generator, absorbs up to 95% of the smoke particles released by it.When it fills up with 100 particles, you must connect it to a compressor via a new block called a VENTILATION TUBE. This block transports any smoke it is fed from a air tank directly to a compressor.
    An entire air tank's worth of smoke is worth 1 coal dust in the compressor. How this works, is that the air tanks has a block inside of it. In the air tank's GUI, you can see a gauge fill up. When this gauge is full, the block is coded to release particles into the tube. When the particles reach the destination, they turn into a SMOKE BLOCK. This block is unobtainable and when placed, releases 100 smoke particles into the air. Then, a piece of coal dust appears in the compressor.

PART 3. GEOTHERMAL HEAT POLLUTION:
    Lava be hot. That is the first rule of minecraft. But WHY don't geothermal generators have ANY drawbacks? I have 326 of them in my base powering mass fabs and they don't do anything but make power. My suggestion for this is heat. Heat in geothermal generators can build up over time. After approximately an hour of being fed lava without any breaks, the geothermal generator begins to produce smoke at a much higher rate then a generator. After it is overheating for a long time, it WILL explode with the force of a creeper explosion. The generator explodes with a huge blast of smoke, almost 100 particles.
    More to come.

• Already been suggested, many times before, official word is that if IndustrialCraft ever gets a complete rework (IC3) then pollution will most likely be included.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Official Post

Already been suggested, many times before, official word is that if IndustrialCraft ever gets a complete rework (IC3) then pollution will most likely be included.

Don't have anything to add, except i would like if i had to care about pollution like i do with thaumcraft vis/taint.

• If this ever gets added, I hope there'll be a config option for it. I, personally, don't like it, and would probably stop playing IC if it was added.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!

• Feedback on the idea itself?

I would like it IF it comes with a buff of what can pollute. For 2 reasons:
    1- Green gen are already OP if you use it during a VERY long time. I'm not against using 10-20 Solar Pannels to power machines (even if I think using Geogen is smarter at the beggining ^^), but using 100-2000 Solar Pannels to Power MassFabs ... that become annoying. So adding a pollution would make generator even worst because it would reinforce the "finite" aspects of those one. And as generator that could pollute are actually UP (I think about Generator, without Scaffold Glitch and without Adv Gen/ Gregtech addons :D), they would become totally useless.
    2- Generally, players (and I also) dislike when something is nerfed. So it would need being nerfed (pollution) and buffed (Output, cost, energy value of fuels) at the same time.

I guess something like pollution could be implemented if something that makes generator very useful also is implemented, i.e. way of using fuel without wasting ressources (I mean using Coal in generator is quite stupid because you could also use Coal to get Carbon Plate/Carbon Dust). Alblaka already said that he will maybe implement a Gas-block later (and device for pumping it (and I hope device for refining, allowing higher energy profit), I guess it could go with Pollution.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• I would like it IF it comes with a buff of what can pollute. For 2 reasons:
    1- Green gen are already OP if you use it during a VERY long time. I'm not against using 10-20 Solar Pannels to power machines (even if I think using Geogen is smarter at the beggining ^^), but using 100-2000 Solar Pannels to Power MassFabs ... that become annoying. So adding a pollution would make generator even worst because it would reinforce the "finite" aspects of those one. And as generator that could pollute are actually UP (I think about Generator, without Scaffold Glitch and without Adv Gen/ Gregtech addons :D), they would become totally useless.
    2- Generally, players (and I also) dislike when something is nerfed. So it would need being nerfed (pollution) and buffed (Output, cost, energy value of fuels) at the same time.

I guess something like pollution could be implemented if something that makes generator very useful also is implemented, i.e. way of using fuel without wasting ressources (I mean using Coal in generator is quite stupid because you could also use Coal to get Carbon Plate/Carbon Dust). Alblaka already said that he will maybe implement a Gas-block later (and device for pumping it (and I hope device for refining, allowing higher energy profit), I guess it could go with Pollution.

Just made Geogens less OP.

• Just made Geogens less OP.

What ? You ... didn't understand what I said ... the problem is that GreenGen are already OP (if they are not, could you tell me please why solar pannels are so used ? you can answer "because there is many people thinking it's hard to deal with nuclear reactor ... but in my mind, this precise fact makes it UP. Windmills are OP if you compare EU-generation and cost to Solar Pannels, but setting up a windmill plant is just annoying, because you've to put it very high, so you need scaffold/cobble pillar while building, you've to use cable in the good way ...). Adding pollution would in this case buff greengen and nerf Fuel-based one, and even if Nuclear Reactors are currently not so much UP, basic Generator are. So I guess adding pollution would need buffing Nuclear (very little), Geogen (the same) and Generator (much more).

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• if IndustrialCraft ever gets a complete rework (IC3) then pollution will most likely be included.

Actually, it's planned for IC² 2.0!

The forum won't let me specify my gender accurately, so I'll just use my signature to say that I go by they/them pronouns.