[Addon-Idea]: Balanced system of pollution.

• Chemical Pollution
    Description: Is produced when a generator(or a furnace) burns Coal, Fuel or others.
    Effects: When burning, each fuel add a different value depending on wich one you're using to the CO2-Jauge.

CO2 Jauge effect: Between 0 and basic value of it, you'll get bonus as if you were using beacon. Between basic value and "maximum recommended value" (^^) it does nothing particullary. If this value is overpassed, you'll get malus: Hunger, no healings when you've the hunger bar full, mining is a bit slower etc ...

Things interfering with CO2-Jauge
    -Burning somethings ... (+)
    -When a tree grow, CO2 Jauge is immediatly decreased by a little value (has to be balanced not to see wood as a way of making energy profits AND reducing CO2 Jauge)
    -Using "Air Terraformer" or "Air Filter". (One out of 2. The Air Filter could have slot for generating CoalDust by reducing CO2-Jauge --> Ratio 2 times better than using UUM). Those have to consume a lot of energy (and could be overclocked)
    -Using Micro-alguae in order to produce Hydrogen (same as the one from Gregtech) and to reduce CO2-Jauge without consuming energy. Micro-Alguae would however need to be "researched" (a whole researching system has not to be implemented, it can be discovered in dungeon loots)
    The Jauge will by itself tend to the basic value, which seems: 1) if you don't use any Fuels for a long time, you'll see your basic value back. To get a 0% value (or a value under the basic one), you'll need system continuously sucking CO2 from the air.

(re-)Balancing Fuels:
    -Increase Coal EU-value (as an example, 12 000 EU), and also increase this value for CoalFuel, and all renewable forms of fuels.
    -Add Tar/Gas Block (wich is on the TO-DO list) that could be refined to get even more Fuel (and Plastic --> Rubber!)
    -Add an Oil-based generator, producing up to 30 EU/t (also on the TO-DO list) and not consuming Raw Fuel (Wood, sapplings, wodden items, coal, charcoal ...)
    -Add a special Machine-Generator to be placed next to a generator to directly collect and burn unburned gasses --> way of upgrading efficienty.

Nuclear Pollution:
    Only one: nuclear waste.
    The point is, Nuclear waste are hard to implement because there is no really lack of space in Minecraft, and as you can easily get rid of any items by throwing it into the Lava.
    To avoid it, the idea would be to make something a little expensive wich would "collect radioactivity", then people wouldn't get rid of it and would try to get it back.
    The only way of getting an empty one would be to "discharge" the full one using a radioactivity generator: this one would be crafted with 1 Reinforced Chamber (8 Integrated reactor plating) + 1 Circuit + 1 generator + 6 copper. Once placed, it would have 3 slots: one for battery-like items, one for "radioactivity collector" and one for Depleted Isotope cells. For one Radioactivity collector, you would get 10 000 000 EU at ... 0.5EU/t. A depleted isotope cells would need 8 radioactivity collector to be entirely refueled.
    Radioactivity collector couldn"t be stored in something else than Nuclear Reactor, Radioactivity Generator and Inventory. (Or pipes ^^)
    Radioactivity Collector would entirely be filled with 1 cycle of one Ura (has just to be in the Reactor). So 4 Quad-cells would mean you would filled 16 Radioactivity Collector.
    Radioactivity generator would also increase mobs spawning in a small area. (Would it exist a way to make them looting nothing ? Or to destroy what they loot without any lag ?)

Why should you use the radioactivity collector ? Because if you don't ... there will be an increasing probability of seing your reactor blowing up, and cooling wouldn't matter.
    With that system, Nuclear Reactor should also be buffed. Maybe just back to 10EU/t/Ura.

That's all. These are just ideas for implementing pollution, it's not balanced yet.

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

Edited 2 times, last by MatLaPatate ().

• Sounds cool! Are you planning on making this yourself, or is this a suggestion?

Ephesians 4:29
    Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up,
    as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

• I would love to see this, after Thaumcraft 2, i beleve alot of industrial mods should have a polution aspect to it, e.g Combustion Engines from BC, if they are inside with little air "ventilation" the room's air becomes hard to breath and you slowly die of the gasses, I do believe that Alblaka might be working on polution, but don't quote me on that

• I personally like the idea of reactors outputting cells.

I think the idea should be that nuclear waste has to be stored in reinforced cells (advanced alloy surrounded by cells) and you have to store them in a special chest that is designed to store nuclear waste (probably a chest surrounded by alloy or iridium plate) and nuclear waste isn't stackable.

Now, that would actually make even mark 1 reactors dangerous for the first time. If you don't have enough cells to contain the nuclear waste, heat builds up and BOOM!!!

• a special chest that is designed to store nuclear waste (probably a chest surrounded by alloy or iridium plate) and nuclear waste isn't stackable.

It could be, but I still prefer my Idea because:
    - it balance this problem by allowing you (at the cost of ressources) to refuel cells and to produce energy at a very low rate, while decreasing.
    - More important, it takes space, because you can only put 1 "Reinforced Cell" (I think the Idea is good) per generator. A Reinforced Chest should exist, allowing you to store up to 4 Items, but without any EU back/refueling any cells.

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• It could be, but I still prefer my Idea because:
    - it balance this problem by allowing you (at the cost of ressources) to refuel cells and to produce energy at a very low rate, while decreasing.
    - More important, it takes space, because you can only put 1 "Reinforced Cell" (I think the Idea is good) per generator. A Reinforced Chest should exist, allowing you to store up to 4 Items, but without any EU back/refueling any cells.

Since when was uranium usage in reactors renewable?
    In my vision, you CAN stack reinforced cells and while nuclear waste is outputted, it stacks in the other slot but once you take it out, then it unstacks and can't be stacked.

Also, I COULD have said that you had to craft nuclear waste blocks and place it in water or pollution will occur but I thought the chest was better.

• Since when was uranium usage in reactors renewable?

Since Depleted Uranium Cells are provided from Ura-cells entirely consumed and since you can build breeders. Also, my way wouldn't make it so renewable, because if you plan to wait 10 000 000 EU at 0.5 EU/t i.e. 1 000 000 sec per cells refueld, you'll need a lot of Radioactivity Generator to power all your Nuclear Reactors with! ^^

In my vision, you CAN stack reinforced cells and while nuclear waste is outputted, it stacks in the other slot but once you take it out, then it unstacks and can't be stacked.

I also meanted it can be stacked in the storage device.

Also, I COULD have said that you had to craft nuclear waste blocks and place it in water or pollution will occur but I thought the chest was better.

Why not. I like in my way and in the yoursthe fact you'll need space to store your Nuclear Waste. People could say "but space is infinite in MC" ... I would answer them: depend on how you're playing (just think to PvP servers with limited space in your base ^^)
    AND, I added a thing about Nuclear Waste: they would increase mobs spawning. (And would exist a way to make them looting nothing, so it can't be used as a mob generator ? ^^)

NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• on the topic of nuclear waste: since IC2 reactors appear to be fast reactors (ie no neutron moderator) they would produce a much much smaller amount of waste than the inefficient reactors used in most RL plants. What would happen though is the reactor chamber and stuff near the reactor would get radioactive over time (due to neutron radiation).

Maybe have it so that anything that is near a nuclear reactor for too long becomes radioactive and results in radiation poisoning if approached without proper protection. Also have the blocks maintain the radioactivity if moved from the reactor, but slowly lose it over time. Also have some block type that absorbs the neutrons (thereby becoming very radioactive) and stops blocks on the other side of them from getting irradiated. This way it would make more sense to build a containment vessel around your reactor, not for explosion reasons (Nuclear reactors cannot go boom like a nuke, it is not possible for them to get to the supercritical mass needed), but for blocking the neutron radiation.

Have nukes irradiate any blocks near the blast, but have this irradiation drop over time as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fast_reactor

Note that on the above page it mentions that this type of reactor can use most of the contents of the current nuclear waste, by transmuting the waste into more fuel, just like the IC2 breeder reactors.

also note under the disadvantages it states that control is done via neutron reflectors, rather similar to the ic2 ones

• so would generate too much lag to, over 1000-2000 ticks, update every block in a 5 block radius of the reactor (less than 1000 blocks)? This can be done in shells, so first do every block 1 away, then 2 away, then 3 away, with increasing time delays between to reduce the number of calculations per tick.

unless i am misunderstanding something, it should generate about as much lag as detonating a couple tnt every 20-30s

• I'm not a coder ^^
    I just say that was the issue pointed out by devteam when radiation has been suggested.

i could write a turtle program to apply the radiation in a realistic time if the blocks exisited (i do something similar for my shell mining turtle program, so getting the game to do it shouldn't generate that much lag

• Just because you don't have lag issues with TNT (every 30 s) doesn't mean that no one else does.
    TNT lagged out my old computer like crazy, even without mods. Therefore, if radiation had been implemented as you suggested I couldn't have used any form of nuclear power.

Also, even receiving tick events can cause lag in large numbers, say with 20 reactors on a home server, because of the overhead required to manage the events

• Just because you don't have lag issues with TNT (every 30 s) doesn't mean that no one else does.
    TNT lagged out my old computer like crazy, even without mods. Therefore, if radiation had been implemented as you suggested I couldn't have used any form of nuclear power.

Also, even receiving tick events can cause lag in large numbers, say with 20 reactors on a home server, because of the overhead required to manage the events

a computer unable to handle what i mentioned would not be able to handle the E-net system either, so would not be able to use IC2 at all, so is not really relevant to the discussion. The 20 reactors you mentioned would cause much much more lag due to the number of ticks for the fuel updating than for the radiation implemented the way i mentioned.