linux server issues

• my friend and i have been trying to host a server using industrialcraft-2_1.109.113-lf. everything works just fine when my friend hosts the server on his windows machine, but when i host it on my ubuntu linux server he cant place or craft ic2 items and things get rather buggy. we literally do nothing different, yet the server works fine when he joins his own local server but not the server i host from either my ubuntu desktop on my laptop or my headless ubuntu server. the regular minecraft server, bukkit server, and tekkit server all work flawlessy under ubuntu. we had been stumped for days until he hosted it himself and was able to place items. i even copied his server on to the ubuntu system and still he cant craft or place ic2 blocks (mining lasers work).
    any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

UPDATE:both servers use the same java version : java 7 update 9

UPDATE: seems to be another mod conflicting. i would have found this sooner but i didnt understand why the same server files worked on windows but not ubuntu.
    UPDATE: ubuntu server works when ic2 and nei/codechickencore are the only two mods, were assuming its loading the mods in a different order depending which platform hosts the server

UPDATE: LINUX AND WINDOWS LOAD THE MODS IN A DIFFERENT ORDER. i renamed each mod to start with a number, made sure ic2 had the largest number and loaded last, made sure client and servers mod folder were the same, and it seems to be working fine with only a few id conflicts

UPDATE: well this is getting really annoying now the linux server and windows client are getting along, but my linux client is having the problems the windows one had.
    linux and windows clients are assigning block ids in opposite fashions

• i just had to copy the servers config folder to the clients

Oh.

A word of warning. Ubuntu like all Linux based OSes loads things in date order, not by alphabetical order. This means that mods don't load how you would expect them to having played on Windows. This is fine until you get dependent mods (like IC2 addons) which need to be loaded after their dependencies (which is why the zip for Zeldo's pipes (for example) starts with a "z", so it loads last on Windows). The easiest solution seems to be to get it working on Windows and then upload the files using FileZilla all at once.

• Official Post

Oh.

A word of warning. Ubuntu like all Linux based OSes loads things in date order, not by alphabetical order. This means that mods don't load how you would expect them to having played on Windows. This is fine until you get dependent mods (like IC2 addons) which need to be loaded after their dependencies (which is why the zip for Zeldo's pipes (for example) starts with a "z", so it loads last on Windows). The easiest solution seems to be to get it working on Windows and then upload the files using FileZilla all at once.

Thats depricated Information. One can specify inside the Code, that a mod has to be loaded after another, or needs another Mod to be played.

• Linux based OSes [load] things in date order, not by alphabetical order

If only it were as simple as that! The default order for reading the files in a directory is something like inode number, or some other purely internal order (do 'ls -U' to see it). If it were dates, it'd be simple to just change the timestamp of each file to make it work correctly, that's what touch(1) is for.

On the other hand, as Greg has said, there are ways for mods to explicitly request that they be loaded before or after other mods, so the order Forge finds them in should never matter unless a mod author is being forgetful.