Just a few mod ideas I've come up with

• Hey everyone,

I've come up with a few mod ideas over the past couple weeks, and one of the guys over at the Minecraft form said that since some of them would require interfacing with IC2, well, why not ask the IC2 guys if they want to do it...so here I am.

EDIT: Wow, forgot to add a link: Sync.in: pKRWyI0QN7

All I can say is watch that list carefully, I add to it every now and then...put little notes in there all you want, just sign it with your username and forum. You guys won't be the only ones doing that, so that's why I ask that.

Anyway, thanks a lot!
    -Nate

• "That list", huh? I might've looked at it, but all I have to go on is this "Nate" screen name, and the keywords "mod idea", of which there are thousands. You're not standing out from the crowd any. Hell, you're not even on my radar.

• Your point? I've provided my opinion, people see it, that's good enough for me.

Shouldn't you have posted your ideas here? If anyone wants to see what he's talking about http://paste.ubuntu.com/1481403/ but you basically just told people to go to the Minecraft Forums to find the thread with a link to your ideas, it would have been much easier just to post a link.

Is the answer to this question no?

Hey don't take it so hard. Ignorance is part of this generation it seems. -the wise words of XFmax-o-l

• Alright, yes, I forgot the link. I've got it posted up now, though.

My point is, that's all he had to say, is that I forgot the link. That's all.

• Aye, sorry, I got a little too roundabout in saying that -- should've just said "That list where?" and left it at that. I'll go have a look and work out some feedback.

Edit: Right, I wish I hadn't promised any feedback. There are a few interesting ideas, as well as several that are just completely impossible. Overall, I'm not sure that any of these things are particularly needed or interesting to play with. This is just my opinion, of course.

• Oh, I know none of them are needed, and I figured a few would be impossible to do, but I figured you guys might at least like to see them.

• I did enjoy the read, thank you, and I imagine one or two of the aspects of things you've mentioned might get stuck in my head and come back around and whack me as "inspiration" later.

If there's one thing I would think most important to bring to your attention, it's the lighting parts -- the way light works in Minecraft, it's literally impossible to have colored lighting or light levels greater than 15, which is the light level inside a glowstone block. Anyone trying to implement anything above that is going to have to fight uphill -- and I won't say they're not going to be able to do it, but it'll certainly be less robust to begin with. That's the one thing I'd consider most important to keep in mind.

• I did enjoy the read, thank you, and I imagine one or two of the aspects of things you've mentioned might get stuck in my head and come back around and whack me as "inspiration" later.

If there's one thing I would think most important to bring to your attention, it's the lighting parts -- the way light works in Minecraft, it's literally impossible to have colored lighting or light levels greater than 15, which is the light level inside a glowstone block. Anyone trying to implement anything above that is going to have to fight uphill -- and I won't say they're not going to be able to do it, but it'll certainly be less robust to begin with. That's the one thing I'd consider most important to keep in mind.

Factorization wrath-lamps?

And I'm not sure about this, but what about using sunlight instead of block light?

• Factorization wrath-lamps?

Are fighting uphill, like I said. If memory serves, they make fake light blocks to add more lighting around them. I also seem to recall some bugs tend to result, e.g. the lights not actually disappearing when the wrath lamp is broken.

And I'm not sure about this, but what about using sunlight instead of block light?

Sunlight and block light have the same limits: light level 15. Sunlight is special because it automatically travels down to the floor, dropping light-15 behind it. It's also special because it gets visually reduced to light level 4 at night.

There are ways to fake lighting altogether, including its effect on mob spawning -- FunnyMan3595's Wustendorf does this to entire hunks (not chunks!) of the world at a time, cuboidal regions reaching from the top to the bottom of the world in the affected areas. Makes for an interesting transition, going from light level 15 to 0 in the span of one block. The unfortunate side-effect of that is it completely disables normal lighting in the affected region. So if you set a light level of, say, 0, your torches will not make any light at all inside the box (I don't recall what happens to sunlight, but I think it's unaffected). You can see how this would just not work as a general-purpose solution.

• Well, when I said colored lights, I meant like RP2 does. The block glows a certain color, but outputs a standard white light. I'll admit I should have done a little research on the lighting system of Minecraft, though. I suppose rather than a brighter light, could make one that reaches out farther if that would be any easier.

• Some of the ideas are really interesting. Especially the cooling towers, alarms & fire detection things. Those I'd use in a heartbeat. Some, as previously said, are dicey at best. Lighting & multi-block machines. As previously stated in more words: minecraft's lighting system needs a lot of work. And if you want multi-blocks in an add-on, talk to Greg, he uses those in his add-on extensively. Odds are, this won't become core IC2, but might make it to add-on. Admittedly the possible cross-compatibility sounds intriguing with how it is proposed. Hmm... Well thought out. Just difficult to add as a whole. (From what I know about modding & Java that is.)

:Nuke TNT: = Answer to all problems. Including that creeper camping right outside the door of your glass house.