How much energy does the induction furnace need when it has 0% heat??

• I changed my electro furnace for an induction furnace, but I had problems starting it. I tried these things, adding each one to the input of the furnace.

- First I tried with my 6 solar pannels. I supposed that it will take a long time but I waited. However the furnace didn't build heat or anything.

- I added a red torch next to the furnace, hoping that the red power will start the heating proccess. It didn't work (how many torches you need to start heating the furnace??)

- Then I started the auxiliar generator.

After seeing that all this things couldn't start the furnace, I tried to load a RE battery and plug it in the lower slot of the furnace, and it worked. It started to build heat and it reached the 9% (the other energy sources were online meanwhile to try to get it to 100%), but then, it began to drop until it reached 0% (the last digits, 3,2,1... were falling very quickly)

So, how much energy you need to start this furnace from 0? Do I need a nuclear plant or what?

PS Also, the lightning icon was depleted all the time. It seems that it depletes at the same time that it loses heat. It shouldn't be that way. The power consumption must go down when the heat is getting higher, but at 0% heat, the power consumption should be fixed, that way you can operate the machine with very little energy (though you'll need a lot of time to make it work and the heat won't be higher than 0% [because the heat built is less than the heat dissipated]) It seems a bug to me.

• It needs a constant 16 EU/t to cook stuff :P
    When you apply redstone power it only needs 1 EU/t to heat up. The problem is probaly that you just put a redstone torch next to it... Try putting a lever on top of it or add some restone wire between the furnace and the torch :)

• It needs a constant 16 EU/t to cook stuff :P
    When you apply redstone power it only needs 1 EU/t to heat up. The problem is probaly that you just put a redstone torch next to it... Try putting a lever on top of it or add some restone wire between the furnace and the torch :)

This is the same problem this thread talks about. The devices only work when strongly powered, rather that weakly powered.

• I tried to put a redstone wire in straight line to the machine, and it wasn't affected by the red torch.

I have the suspicion that the machine confuses the heat dissipation with power dissipation. I mean, if the heat dissipation is higher than the power that feeds the machine, the lightning icon depletes faster than it is filled, so you can't power it with just 1 solar pannel. If you use only 1 solar pannel it should work, very slowly but the dissipation always drops the heat to 0%, so it won't heat even if it's working (but at least it works)

• I did a small test. At 0% heat, a single item takes around 6000 energy to process. You really are better off pre-heating it with a redstone signal.

• Official Post

Think I found a fix. Turns out it wasn't the heat after all, but a small change should be able to make it work the way I think it was intended. That is to say, useless at 1EU/t (because simply maintaining the heat requires 1EU/t), and depressingly slow but functional at 2EU/t. Then its speed scales up as more energy becomes available, just like the electric furnace, up to the cost and speed it's always had. I'll propose the fix I came up with.