Help on Nuclear Steam

• This is still proof of concept stage, but some screenshots are attached.

Three reactors inputting into the top valves of a 9x9x4 iron tank. There are liquiducts all around and below the tank (you shouldn't need this many, one valve per 50 EU/t) in active extraction mode to get the steam. These compress down into one long liquiduct (a liquiduct can only transfer 160 mb/t into or outof itself per face, but it can transfer 5000 mb/t through itself, this is why there's just the one pipe going to the turbines) and powering 15 turbines. I'm getting 1444 EU/t off the turbines, 8 less than expected, but the loss is tolerable.

(note, you want power converters if you intend to build on this scale, I haven't installed it yet. This would take over 5000 steel for the turbines, plus a maintenance cost of even more steel every 62 hours)

• This is still proof of concept stage, but some screenshots are attached.

Three reactors inputting into the top valves of a 9x9x4 iron tank. There are liquiducts all around and below the tank (you shouldn't need this many, one valve per 50 EU/t) in active extraction mode to get the steam. These compress down into one long liquiduct (a liquiduct can only transfer 160 mb/t into or outof itself per face, but it can transfer 5000 mb/t through itself, this is why there's just the one pipe going to the turbines) and powering 15 turbines. I'm getting 1444 EU/t off the turbines, 8 less than expected, but the loss is tolerable.

(note, you want power converters if you intend to build on this scale, I haven't installed it yet. This would take over 5000 steel for the turbines, plus a maintenance cost of even more steel every 62 hours)

Wow. Thanks, never thought a single pipe would be better than more. 5000 steel does sound prohibitive (it there any chance to reduce the number of turbines? :P ) How much of them would 2 reactors need?

And a proof of concept that raycasting based explosions means you can pipe shit to/from multiple reactors without worry about them destroying each other if something goes wrong.

That is cool, tough i'm planning making my reactors stable and not willing to risk a boum

. But what is that power converters mod about? Converting power between several electricity grids, or does it add something very usefull for the design?

The Viper will hide in the shadows... unseen... unheard... and when you least expect, she strikes.

• Official Post

How much of them would 2 reactors need?

Steam produced depends on EU/t it would produce. Higher output reactors will produce more steam, which means more turbines.
    I seriously don't know EU-Steam convertion rate but i suppose it is 2.5 EU = 1 MJ = 5 mB steam so, 1 EU/t = 2 mB/t Steam.

But what is that power converters mod about? Converting power between several electricity grids, or does it add something very usefull for the design?

It converts power between mods : Railcraft Steam (mB), Factorization Charge (CG), Industrialcraft² Energy unit (EU), BuildCraft Minecraft Joule (MJ), Universal Electricity Joule (J).

It works with an energy bridge, with two (or more) module blocks. You can have up to 6 modules. All mods have an energy consumer and producer (Input/output).
    For example you can connect a steam consumer to reactor and any other mod producer to get any mod energy like this :

:Reactor::Uranium Ore::Copper Ore::Tin Ore: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre: :Glass Fibre:

:Uranium Ore: Steam Consumer
    :Copper Ore: Energy Bridge
    :Tin Ore: "Mod energy you want" Producer
    :Glass Fibre: "Mod energy you want wire/cable/conduct"

• Official Post

I dont tend to use the Power converters mod due to OP'ness and Unrealism.
    If only someone made a large multiblock Dynamo for BC to EU, and an Electromagnetic Current converter for Blu to EU.

• Its 320 mB Steam to 100 EU. So for every 100 EU the reactors would produce you want 1 steam turbine, maybe less if you want dedicated MJ out of it too.

• My thought on power converters is, I can turn off everything except MJ to EU, using steam to run engines that make electricity is more realistic, and since railcrafts conversion rate is pretty low, (64 MJ for 100 EU) it clamps down on the overpoweredness.

It even makes it less efficient to turn mechanical power into electricity than back into mechanical power via electrical engines.