Project Fork

• Good morning IC2 Dev-Team,

Long time lurker, new account for first post:

I've heard many rumors and some posts on other sites which I can't verify in regards to the IC2 mod. First is, I've heard that the main author of the IndustrialCraft 2 mod is no longer participating in mod development and that a few members of the Dev-Team are mostly working on compatibility, etc... but next to no new creative work is being done.

My question is this (moot if the rumors are totally unfounded, despite the latest "stable" build being for 1.4.5), how might I be able to get permission to Fork this project to continue proper development and give it the attention that it deserves within the Minecraft community?

Thanks,
    Lloyd

• Hello Lloyd,
    From my substantial amount of time on the forums I have come to learn a few things that i will gladly share with you.
    1.) Currently [Alblaka] is on extended leave trying to deal with personal things and find more inspiration for industrialcraft. (Not too different from our beloved Notch.)
    2.) IC2 is loved by its players and developers alike, if and only if the entire development team abandoned the project would it become open source.
    3.) In the event that IC2 was fully abandoned I would bet that [GregoriusT] would be the first non IC2 developer to be able to take over the mod.

Alblaka says:

"People using their intellect in attempts to discuss other people into the ground could be considered less intellectual then people using their intellect for something beneficial :3"

• Hello Lloyd,
    From my substantial amount of time on the forums I have come to learn a few things that i will gladly share with you.
    1.) Currently [Alblaka] is on extended leave trying to deal with personal things and find more inspiration for industrialcraft. (Not too different from our beloved Notch.)
    2.) IC2 is loved by its players and developers alike, if and only if the entire development team abandoned the project would it become open source.
    3.) In the event that IC2 was fully abandoned I would bet that [GregoriusT] would be the first non IC2 developer to be able to take over the mod.

I wasn't asking to take over the mod, but to fork it. It's a subtle difference, but a significant one in terms of the project itself.

• Here's an idea for you Lloyd that won't require a fork, talk to RichardG or Player and see if you can get yourself on the IC2 team (you might have to prove yourself though), then you can talk to them about new creative content and all of you can work together to bring IC2 out of the so-called creative slump it has unfortunately found itself in.