Luminator suggestions & possible rework

• Hi everyone.
    Sorry if this has been posted but the only thread is a thread which died and is 3 months old, so I'm not going to necropost...

Let's start with the Description.
    I have in my server a big power grid with distribution to every home, and luminator lighting of the streets.
    In my home (off power grid) I have lighting also made by CF-embedded luminators.
    The problem is the capacity which is too large. I know that somebody suggested it was for lag issues, but I think it adds more lag than without internal capacitor. When I power up the luminators they all instantly try to draw the power from the 4 batboxes and the generators, leaving machines without power, constantly flickering AND causing lag issues!

So, we should add a tiny capacity (enough to bridge a 10-20sec brownout), with a "resistor" limiting the power draw and possibly an algorythm which checks and prevent the luminator from flickering if there's not enough power avalaible. Say, after 4-5 "flickers" it will burn out waiting 20-30sec and then will reattempt to restart. This should prevent lag issues.
    Also, there (ideally) should be a GUI with a battery holder thingy and an ON-off switch which could (and should) also be toggled with redstone.
    Finally, CF-embedded luminators should look like the small versions of the battery-powered ones!

Let me know if you like it! :thumbup:

• Would love an option for permanent-on + no-energy-consumption/no-redstone.
    Like torches...

This would bee too much OP... Use Glowstone then...
    The main advantage would be if they could be toggled on and off, and burn mobs (as they do now).

• Its just a light source and gettin destroyed on breaking.
    Maybe increase the production costs.

Anyway howver you'll design it, i'll set it to 0 EU anway.
    By making an option in the config just makes the life easier AND everyone can define what is balanced in his opinion.

• OK for the config, but why don't you use vanilla torches or Glowstone or Redstone-lanterns then? Luminator advantage is that it burns mobs, and it needs some energy in order to do it. Anyway 0.25EU/t is OK, considering that the Induction furnace needs 1EU/t to remain hot (like 1kW IRL) then the Luminator only takes 250W IRL (ridiculous) I don't understand the point of making it not consuming anything, since 1 solar panel could easily power 4 in daytime if there weren't the stupid internal capacitor.
    And last but not least it will definitely need to not be destroyed on removal. You (normally) don't wreck a lamp if you remove it IRL except when using a pickaxe/hammer. Maybe do like machines (wrench only otherwise nothing).

• Ok, some more explanation here.
    The problem is not that the luminator needs 1/4 EU, its the problem for the loss on the cable.

I'll love to build industrial type building and THEN fit my tech into it. So in an industrial park/factory i have long hallways which needs to be lighted, so i have to use atleast 40-60 luminators.
    You're comparision to the induction furnace can NOT fit here, since you need maybe 3 induction furnace but like types 50 more luminator - i'll let the math to you here.

Easy setup now: Many solar panels, tin cable, luminator -> disco dance blink blink show while they load up. Server runs, disco show again.
    A friend on the server runs the whole thing with copper cable + lumnitor which causes when he logs in on the next day, that all 5 MFSU are empty bc the freakin lights ate all the energy + loss over the cable.
    Thats SUPER annoying. Glowstone isn't an option for me, because they look like crap and use a full block instead of the neat optic of the luminator that looks like a cover.

That the lumintor kills stuff is new to me and totally uninteresting.
    And please don't start a comparision on RL stuff...

• Well I misunderstood your post, cyprus2056. I thought that your problem was the consumption (in eu/t) but if there wasn't the stupid internal capacity there you wouldn't need 400 MFSUs... Anyway I wrote in the first post the same thing, 4x nuclear reactor (2060 eu/t) And blinkblink :D
    I started a comparison on RL stuff because I thought your problem was the EU/T consumption, not the capacitor :D