Posts by IC_Pandemonium

Well, you shold build an efficient reactor, but with the normal average output, and use the scrap generator. Yes, may be efficiency (aka "matter multiplier") will be less than using crazy Mk.V + breeders, but one "matter cycle" will be much shorter...

It seems more realistic... just because more effort is needed. Also I cant help but feel that the scrapbox system will get completely revamped at some point, mostly because it already feels grossly imba.

Automatic coloring?
    If you place a cable to a side of another cable, that has for example red color, then the placed cable will have red color too.
    Simple and effective. In the source code this will be two or three lines of code. Or more if you wants to test if the player has a painter with right color and damaging the painter after placing the cable.

and then you place a cable between a red and a blue cable *aaaaahhh!*

By my calculations, without any scrap input needed, this will produce enough UUM in a full cycle to create 40 uranium, as well as leaving about 18 depleted cells. A good breeder can turn that into significantly more than the original 54 uranium cells, even if you factor in the cost of UUM-made tin and coal, and running the macerator for the coal dust. The tattered remains of the laws of thermodynamics throw up their metaphorical hands in disgust and leave the world of Minecraft forever. We've successfully turned time into energy. 8|

Loving it!

Am I the only one not seeing a difference between the 2 recipes?

If you're going to keep an extra slot occupied with an additional tool just for specific block mining, why not just keep another batpack handy for when you run out of energy?

I do this and eventually have so many stacks of cobblestone, dirt, and gravel in my inventory that I just throw it away in lieu of collecting more ore.

you, sir, have used "in lieu" correctly. Have a cookie.

Also, agreed.

Alright how do i make it into LV i've gotten it down to MV but when i put it into the LV Trans is stays at 128EU/t the batbox can withstand MV but i would still rather loop the power back into my power grid instead of storing into the batbox, i dont want to use the batbox to convert the current into LV i want my LV Trans to do that

have you oriented your points correctly? also no redstone should be applied to LV, check for nearby switches torches etc.

Indeed. And by making a group you only need to have one control circuit. Also the extreme high voltage they deliver makes it easy to set them up far from our bases.

Pics of my test configuration

http://imgur.com/a/vrvqZ#TYlQM

would you send them through a transformer first, to increase package size to 2k? I secluded nuclear islands with unfortunate operators to keep the chunk loaded controlling the various circuits. Do you think one could replace the redstone circuitry with the control block alblaka's about to implement? I hope it isnt too slow to react, it would make things even simpler.

Confirmed it works.

I had to use two timers and a toggle latch for it to work though, one is set at 82 seconds and the other one to one second. The first one turns the reactor + the second timer on and the second timer turns the reactor and itself off. I am using Redpower mod for the timers and toggle latch.

Output was 24.064 EU per cycle as expected ( = 293/sec = 14,6/tick)

I think for end-game production a few dozens of these are probably the way to go. Combined with breeders and mass fabricators of course. As an engineer I always value efficiency above all else :).

Yes, it would be nice, but it seems like Alblaka doesnt' like to make the same tool with the different tiers... We already have a lot of mining tools - Drills, Laser, Miner, Dynamite (it's a very fun "tool" ^__^). I don't think, that we well see another laser...

dynamite mining ftw! Still waiting on the artificial fertilizer recipes for industrial TNT.

I'm quite tired of blowing up my machines by accidentally crossing wires and sending high current through my machines and also burning up my immense wiring system. A trip breaker could prevent these mistakes. It could resemble a batbox or a low voltage transformer. When too much current goes through, it could go into an off state, and requires a redstone trigger to turn back on.

hmmm... I like this idea, not sure whether I like your way of implementing it though. Maybe a more elegant solution would be a cable that disappears when too much current goes... oh wait. (ref: copper cable). Use whatever high insulating cable you have for all your wiring needs and then put in one block of ragged copper cable (or other cable types for other types of fuses). I'm pretty sure the packet that burns the wire doesnt actually travel through it prior to breaking it.

output of this reactor is 1200EU/t*20 = 24000EU/second as it can run only one second per 81 seconds so 24000/81 = average 296EU/s which is only 14EU/t which is quite low. so if you don't target high efectivity (over 4) you can easily make Mark I reactor with higher constant output.

The whole point of this is to target really high efficiency. If run correctly in tandem with a mass fabricator and a good breeder this would prove to be a massively self-regenerating energy resource. Highly volatile, but highly awesome. I like it.

It is indeed possible to hook to the dispenser code via ModLoader, so we could do it that way. Now, personally I prefer opening them myself (it's fun spam-clicking a stack of them and watching the goodies fly), but I can see the appeal of building them into automation.

yeah, you could build a scrapbox factory with a sorting table behind it, funneling anything that you dont want back into recyclers... *mouth waters* the possibilities...

Clay? Heck, you only find clay on surface. Unless you place a miner on top of clay (which is stupid, because you could just shovel it), that would be useless.
    Glowstone isn't exactly something to be found underground either :/

Afaik only detecting ores (and lava if connected to a pump) is fine as it is. Ntm you can write addons to add more ores to the Scanner-list already... which will cause the miner to detect them as well.

1. Place miner in SMP on top of others hideout
    2. Switch on miner
    3. Profit.

seriously though, I agree, clay and glowstone are things not usually resourced through miners. Would be pretty thickheaded to waste precious alblakas (new unit for time spent coding) on this.

It sounds really good, I have previously been using different kinds of blocks for these things (things that dont appear underground: sand, wool, planks, etc.). Maybe use differently coloured RS-torches? You could "dye" a stack of torches using lapis, cactus dye etc. I think using redstone torches for this would balance cost/benefit quite nicely.

we might need one of the coders to answer this.
    but i think that the EU loss will be calculated like adding the block EU loss together so if you have a 100 block long cable with 50 gold and 50 glass fiber
    the EU loss will be 50*0.4+ 50*0.05=22.5 EU loss after 100 block with 50% gold 50% glass fiber.
    and it will not change by placing 1 gold - 1 fiber -1 gold and so on

my thought exactly.

Uh, no. Destruction is always easier than construction. In any case, the fact that the wrenches have a chance to destroy a valuable machine IS annoying.

Destruction, yes. Deconstruction, no. It is annoying, but I find it a good balancing feature. Before release there were quite a few suggestions for electric wrenches and the like and it has been confirmed that a method of picking up a machine without fear of loss *is* in development. So I'd say that wraps this sidebar up.