Suggestion: Artificial Fertilizer

• Ever got tired of killing skeletons just to feed your children? Always believed in Mob-rights too much to build a disturbingly large grinder? The solution is here: FERTILIZER. Created with nothing but energy, air, an iron catalyst and the genius of Fritz Haber the power of ammonia is yours.

recipes:

Iron catalyst Dust:
    [ID][RS][ID]
    [RS][ID][RS]
    [ID][RS][ID]

ID=Iron Dust
    RS=Redstone dust (to increase number of free electrons :D)

Iron catalyst: Smelt the Dust.

Haber-Machine:

[code=c][?][code=c]
    [C][M][C]
    [Fu][?][Fu]

c=cable
    C=compressor (we need of the order 160 bar)
    Fu=Furnace (no need to make this too expensive)
    M=Machine
    ?=piping? not really sure anything should go here, but crafting table looks empty ;P

The process will create 32/64 (balancing was never my forté) units of artificial fertilizer per catalyst used, using medium amounts of EUs (more than basic machines, less than mass fabricators), which can be either directly used to grow wheat/trees (same as bone meal) OR....

new alternative recipe for ITNT:

[ F ][CD][ F ]
    [CD][ F ][CD]
    [ F ][CD][ F ]

CD=Coal Dust
    F=Fertilizer

Start your underground explosives labs now!

EDIT: might be better to make gunpowder out of it instead, á la CD x 3 + F = Gunpowder. More options, less hassle.

• Official Post

I will for sure not create a new Compression machine for this single use, but the general idea isn't bad. Probably i will do something similar of this idea. Like the ITNT thingy, too ^^ There's way too less explosive mining!

• Yeah, I thought single use machines were a bit unweildy. I suppose you could just chuck the catalyst into a compressor and go from there. I was worried about resource use, the process should use a not insignificant amount of energy (*realism waves hello*), while not using the catalyst too much; simulating a gradual wear of the catalyst rather than an actual consumption of it.

Thanks for considering :)

• Or use a bin where you put dirt in. Over long time, this turns into fertilizer.

Buildcraft – spilling items.™

I dont want to make cowdung. I want to make ammonia to blow shit up.

:thumbup:

Cool suggestion, I like it :)
    Why wouldn’t you use the already existing compressor? Too expensive? One instead of two would be ok, since 4000 Gibbl should be far enough.

• :thumbup:

Cool suggestion, I like it :)
    Why wouldn’t you use the already existing compressor? Too expensive? One instead of two would be ok, since 4000 Gibbl should be far enough.

4000 Gibbl does sound pretty impressive. I think thats the way it will work out, in the original pitch I was going for the whole "pressure+heat" thing, but that probably wont happen, just not worth it.

• Well technically since Industrial Diamonds need pressure+heat and Carbon Fiber is mostly derived from heat treatments rather than pressure, I think we can safely assume that the compressor also provides heat.

• Well technically since Industrial Diamonds need pressure+heat and Carbon Fiber is mostly derived from heat treatments rather than pressure, I think we can safely assume that the compressor also provides heat.

Yeah, I guess the final form of the suggestion would be to make an expensive iron catalyst you can craft, chuck into a compressor and (dont know if you can do this) make the compressor take a bit longer, i.e. significant input of energy, and produce, say, half a stack of fertiliser per catalyst.