Posts by baturinsky

I have my base underground at 16 height now, but want it to be on the surface. And I'm too lazy to move all of my stuff 50 meters up, so I decided that surface should come to me:) So, it's vital for me to know how I can do that with least amount of uranium and walls. Also, I need to know how many walls,distance should be between me and reactors.

So, I conducted some experiments. I found following:

1. In some small radius (around 5-6 cells) nuke kills, regardless of coverage.
    2. Scenery is overall more sturdy than people. Chests, machines, torches, even redstone can survive in blast from 5 cells behind two layers of reinforced stone, but you will die.
    3. Blast is very random. If one layer of RS (reinforced stone) can hold one blast, it can be breached by another exactly same one. EDIT: this seems to be result of melting. Reactor can melt virtually anything, including RS. So, if RS wall is too close to reactor, it can melt off some holes on one layer of it and then breach that weak points with explosion.
    4. One layer of RS can protect things at 5meters and people at 10 meters.
    5. Two RS layers can sometimes be breached at one or two places, but blast will be significantly weakened
    6. Reactor blast seems to be a little weaker, but much more uneven than bomb blasts. For example bomb removes exactly one layer of RS, and is very weakened after it, destroying one layer of stone. While reactor leaves most of RI layer intact, but punch some holes and many layers of cobblestone/dirt behind it.
    7. Haven't noticed much differences between 18 and 54 uranium cells reactor explosions. They seem exactly same. haven't tested below 18 cells, though.
    8. Blast destroys RS at up to about 10-12 meters of air.
    9. Uncovered bomb blast is big, but not THAT big. Only about 36 meters radius in air. 9 meters in cobblestone. If screened by one layer of RI, it destroys only one meter of cobblestone behind it
    10. Bomb "jumps" when is primed, so if you plastered it to wall, it will fall off.
    11. Priming bomb with lever gives much more time before explosion than if it is done by dynamite stick. In first case, you can easily outrun, or even out-walk explosion.
    12. "Damage rays" seems to be emitted not from exact center of bomb, but from a sphere of about meter radius. So, it can "go around a corner" a little.
    13. After many experiments, 5-chamber reactor full of uranium could not breach two layers of RI. Each time all chambers and all uranium cells and even lever was salvaged. only core itself was lost.
    One layer of RI, though was breached even by chamberless reactor, along with many layers of stone behind it.

Many things are still fuzzy for me, though. If you have experiments/information/links about it, I will be happy to hear.

1. Planner is mostly accurate, unless it's about plating. I test my designs using Nuclear Control (for displaying reactor core) and (in test world) with Not Enough Items, that, besides other things, shows exact heat or charge of reactor elements.
    2. You can switch reactor off even if you put current into block on side or top of it. for example,if you put lever on reactor chamber o side of core, or any other block connected on side of core, it will affect reactor. So, if you have at least two chambers, you can connect both EU wire and redstone to it without losing on water cooling (into different side-chambers).

It may be rounding issue or something, but reactors often stabilize at around 15 degrees. Another issue is that planner lies about reactor plating parts, as they build up heat, even if planner says it's ok.

i recommend to run reactor for minute or two and then switch it off (but redstoning or removing uranium). If all parts lose "heathbar" in few seconds, then everything is ok.

And you don't need any extra mod to put "redstone a signal in reactor". It is vanilla minecraft thing.

As for your design - it is crap, but safe. I recommend picking anything from this list - A list of good reactor designs (READ THE 1st POST!!!)

I'm trying to make design that works without extra mods, so i'm ok with using mods for measuring length of signal (because I'm designing it oin test world with test configuration), but not to generate signal in the first place.

Hmm, i'll try to measure time with dispensers...

"Having to heat again" is not as bad babysitting as "will go boom" babysitting. so I'm gonna try.
    Also, if I set a battery of identical configuration breeders, then I can regulate them with one click of switch that, for example, cut off water flow... Seems to be easy and fun enough to try.

Thnks a lot, but those seems not that effective...
    If I pre-heat reactor and parts, and they are stable temp, can they be used repeatedly, or I'll have to repeat full process from the scratch for each pair/four of depleted cells?

When I send 40k energy in one second from reactor to MFSU through hv transformer only, it receives it fully. But if I put MV and LV transformers in between, it gets only around 15k. So, is there some limit for transformers input, or I missed something?

After some testing - it seems that reactor, indeed, use 29 t/seconds, but things get strange on short cycles and/or big EU/t fed into small storages.
    For example, even if reactor works less than second, it will consume uranium cells as it was run full second, but will produce less electricity.

I test in exactly same condition, in superflat peaceful world. I try to use BatBox to time nuclear reactor, so ratio is very important. So far it seems that reactor updates once per second and during that second generates 12 impulses of what is listed as it's EU/t.

As in EU/t?
    When it's reactor, t seems to be 1/12 of second. 640 EU/t reactor produces 7680 energy in 1 second, and 120 EU/t reactor produces 40000 energy at about 27 seconds. 12 = 7680/640 ~ 40000/27/120

But BatBox transfers 40000 energy in about 62 seconds. 40000/62/32 ~ 20

Aaand when 640 EU/t reactor runs for 4 seconds (and consumes 4 points of uranium cell, according to TMI), it produces 15360 energy, so in this case t=1/6 of second.

So...huh?

I finally made it work as intended. Problem was, if BatBox is set to emit if empty, it should NOT be adjacent to transformer.
    So, it's Reactor-MV transformer-LV Transformer-Copper Wire-BatBox - Wire to main grid
    BatBox is set to emit when empty, and restone inverted into reactor.

There is probably some lag and some energy buffered in transformers, so BatBox receives several thousands of EU each time reactor starts up. I have not tested it with fresh elements yet, but it seems to cool over time and behave as Mark i overall.

I think it's better to make reactor running in "minicycles", like 10 seconds on/100 seconds off, to keep temperature at minimum.
    With one extra chamber and one extra dispenser effective output can be set to 34 EU/t, which is supposedly more than BatBox can digest. So, if we feed output through BatBox without wasting, then reactor never can work hard enough to explode.
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…unp464g1kkpy5yuculxatxx6o

Alternative 1C/3HD loadout with more uranium/effectivity and 32.7 EU/t
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…ph9zfvlxqqm3ak7z48rb4m9ts
    Will be probably dangerously hot even after 600k Eu, so better to feed it to BatBox (set to take energy when empty only) directly (through transformers), instead of MFE.

Two blocks are for redstone wiring.
    I'm trying now to set reactor only charging MFE if it is completely empty, and connect it to the main grid. This way, energy will not go to waste when there is less than 330 eu below maximum.

I have tested it for a while, and it seems to work as intended, so I'll post it there.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…58e3xovi6ppmkaznt868uc9xc

Total Output 66 000 000 EU
    Active 330 EU/t
    Effective 27.8 EU/t
    Efficiency 3.67

Extremely cheap (one core, two dispensers), very effective. If wired to switch off when energy storage is full, capable to cover early/mid game needs without exploding.

Original post with some more details