Posts by baturinsky

I feel as it is appropriatedly named due to its Russian sense of character, having a wood sensor to turn the reactor off in case of melt down IF THE LOG IS BURNING.

Ironically, reason for Chernobyl Distaster being so, well, disastrous, was that graphite moderators DID catch on fire, resulting in a lot of radioactive smoke/fallout.

Wooden sensors idea, though, is not mine - i found it here How to make a reactor safety shutoff
    And it is not a necessary part of design, just an extra safety measure.

I'm new to this nuclear thing, so, please, tell me if I got something wrong.

http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…58e3xovi6ppmkaznt868uc9xc

It's a deadly cheap, deadly simple and deadly effective, but deadly risky reactor.
    With no extra chambers and only two heat dispensers it can be constructed very, very early.
    It has 367% of base effectivity, or 82% of maximum theoretically possible.

It can charge one MFE unit (through transformer) before exploding. Then it cools down for about 17 minutes (according to planner). MFE unit is set to emit signal when full, and is connected by redwire back to reactor. So, reactor switches off automatically, and without .
    Also, some other precautions are recommended, such as activated redstone going over wood block and then inverted into reactor (for auto-switching off when wood is on fire). Not sure if it will work fast enough, though. And, of cause, wall of reinforced stone between reactor and your other significant belonging is highly recommended.

MFE is not recommended to be directly connected to anything else, but instead should be used to charge things such as lappack once or twice per cool down period.

Purely convenience thingie - one item, combining compass and clock functionality, and displaying exact (up to one fractional digit) X:Y:Z coordinates, like F3 does. And working in Nether/End.
    Recipe can be Clock+Compass+(Advanced)Circuit or something.

It can look like watch with compass arrow plastered over it, with X:Y:Z displaying in top right corner when thingie is on quick bar.

Not sure how it should be called. GPS? Electronic watch?

Ah, extractor. Forgot that it is not only to get resin from trunks, thanks.

Well, yes, I haven't played since IC1. Didn't really liked many changed in IC2, old way was making more sense in a lot of ways.

After giving it a thought, having some resource to look for in overworld instead of underground is not that bad... Gives some variety. But still, shearing not producing saplings is confusing. And, why swamps, and not jungles?

I mean, it's zero tier of IC. I'd understand if this is something you need for high tech, but it is as, or more hard to find than diamonds. Or I'm doing something wrong.

Also, is it intended that shears don't cut saplings from resin tree leaves, or I'm just unlucky?

In my opinion you make a good attempt, but...
    Current EU model is not ideal. You make suggestion worse, not better.
    For example if I want to transmit a lot of EU through some cable, I can attach some cables to this network somewhere aside to increase "capacity".

Capacity is not a sum, or maximum, it is a minimum one of all wires in circuit. So, use cases are more or less like in old model (or in real life) - high voltage, heavy duty wires for long distance, low voltage and "normal" wires for local circuits.

I didn't really expect this model to be adopted by IC2, to be honest. Too much things to change and stuff. But this thing was stuck in my headspace for a long time, and there were no other way to get rid of it, but to write it down.

Here is the idea I had for a while. Different wiring model. Main advantage of this is that it uses by far less CPU time, virtually zero. Also, it is somewhat more realistic and easy to understand.

All wires, connected to each other, form a single "circuit". Circuit works as a single entity, no calculations per wire is needed until some wire is added or removed to circuit.
    Circuit has following two parameters: resistance and capacity. Resistance is a sum of resistances of all wires in it. It is a number of EU that is consumed per cycle by circuit itself. Capacity is a minimum capacity of all wires in circuit. When more than this value of energy flow passes through, then weakest wire in it (one at random) burns out.

All machines that generate or consume energy have at most one In and at most one Out. They have "Normal" and "Maximum" values of power that they can provide or consume. I'll call them NormGen and MaxGen for generators of power and NormLoad and MaxLoad for consumers of power.
    "Normal" is a "best scenario" power, between Norm and Max is OK, below Norm is undesired, more than Max is impossible.
    Most machines have equal Max and Norm. Power storages have NormGen and NormLoad at zero. Machines that are not working at the moment have everything at zero, naturally.
    Real energy provided and consumed is calculated this way.

0. If SumMaxGen < Resistance then circuit just does not work. Same when there is noconsumers or no generators. Otherwise resistance is subtracted from power: SumMaxGen -= Resistance; SumNormGen -= Resistance
    Then one of four scenarios works:
    1. If SumMaxGen < SumNormLoad, then Flow = SumMaxGen. Each generator works at their maximum, while each consumer receives energy proportionally to their NormLoad
    2. Else if SumNormGen <= SumNormLoad <= SumMaxGen, then Flow = SumNormLoad. Each consumer works at normal power, and each generator provides their NormGen, and remaining power is taken proportionally to difference between MaxGen and NormGen
    3. Else if SumNormLoad < SumNormGen <= SumMaxLoad, then Flow = SumNormGen. Each generator works at normal, while consumers take their Normoad and the rest proportionallly to difference between MaxLoad and NormLoad
    4. Otherwise (that is, if SumMaxLoad < SumNormGen) each consumer works at max, while each generator provides energy proportionally to their NormGen, if they can, or their NormGen if they can't give less then NormGen. Flow is calculated accordingly.

These calculations are made only when circuit or some machine connected to it changes it's parameters, like generator running out of fuel or processor running out of raw materials. If machines are designed so they don't switch on and off too often, then calculation could be done only each 5 seconds or so at most.

Another side effect of this model is that machines work at more stable environment, so we can do less calculations for machines, using extrapolations. For example, if macerator have enough power and coal to work for 1 minute, then we can just forget about it for one minute, or until power flow changes, and then just convert coal to dust in bulk.

That's it. I don't have to carry it in my head any more, so I can put other things in it :)

Program would have to check is there a lane block nearby anyway, to know if player should be boosted. i think it's possible to do power consuming thing in the same part of code.

As for "expensiveness", it should not be expensive, just balanced. I think one uranium ingot per 16 blocks (and some junk, like tin,copper, rubber, coal dust, etc) would be affordable, for "no extra power source" variant.

Machines have slots (battery slot can be used for this, or some other slot or slots), which take special modules that alter this machine parameters.

Things that modules can change (usually combining two or more effects per module):

1. Energy consumption. Usually increasing it, as a "pay" for some positive effect.
    2. Working speed
    3. Decreasing resource consumption (example: three iron dusts instead of two from one ore, it 3x time and 10x energy consumption)
    4. Extra capacity for "in" or "out" slots
    5. Change production type (example:refined iron instead of iron, or iron instead of iron dust)
    6. For energy units - energy storage size or energy output.
    7. Better effectivity for one particular type of resource (example:generator giving 50% more energy per fuel, but not accepting coal, wood, etc at all)
    8. Reliability. Either increasing it (for nuclear reactor), or decreasing, adding for other machines change of "meltdown".

Purpose of this: "sink" for extra energy and material in endgame, more variety in game-play, with hopefully not much programming effort or resource (cpu, ids, etc) needed.

I really don't think that it should be powered, or consume eu, or whatever. We can just say that each block have some energy from the beginning (from some amount of redstone or uranium mixed in), that lasts effectively forever.

If we really, really want it to use eu, I think simplest option is to treat connected lane blocks as a single body, that consume energy per player using it/second.

it's this http://forum.industrial-craft.…?page=Thread&threadID=215 idea taken one step further.

It's simple. Item, that can be placed on any horizontal and vertical surface. As long as you are touching such block, you can move much faster in any direction, horizontal or vertical. So you can make both "elevators" and "cartless railroads" from it.

Also, to make it simpler, i don't think it should consume electricity. Initial material investment to do lane itself is quite enough.

I think, nanosuitm drill and chainsaw already "industrialize" player enough. I thin, it's better to concentrate on features, that give unique opportunities, instead of "same, but more" stuff.

"Creeper vision" are interesting, but can be replaced with some thingie that make noises when there are mobs around. Like radio in silent hill:)

Alteration to vanilla map. Differences:

1. Consumes energy when in hand (very slowly)
    2. Mapped area is not limited to the size of the map "screen" and is common for all gps maps. So, if you lost one, and make new, it will be exactly same. Or if anyone else makes a map, it will be exactly same too.
    Showed territory is centered on the player.
    3. x,y,z coordinates are shown at the top of the map (like with f3)
    4. Player can place "beacons". It's essentially same as signs, but with gps map equipped in hand, they are shown on the map (with text assigned), and also is seen "through walls" (like monster ids on f3)

Well, i was thinking that item stacks play a dual role - as themselves, and as a symbol of themselves.

Like, if there is a non-full stack (of iron ore, for example), and droid have some ore iron ore lying around, then it will add ore to this stack. if this stak is after "place block" element, then dorid will take things from this, to place down.

For example, picture above is a (slightly bugged) program for making railroad with electric tracks, that uses those commands (with sugar,paper, sticks etc as placeholders for logic elements):

Book stack: start of subroutine
    Paper stack: call subroutine
    Sugar stack: loop next command N times
    Sign:
    place block from next stack, if it's size is 2 or more. If it's size is one,
    then find and use blocks of same type from other stack of size 2 or
    more.
    Boots: step forward
    Sticks stack: vertical (1-5) and horizontal (6-13) turns, in steps of 45 degrees
    Pickaxe: dig

All other stacks - if stack is not full, pick drops of same type until stack is full.

Yes, water = lame. I want rum. And rum-based cocktails with fun side-effects. Like, rum+redstone = you move faster, rum+glowstone=you see(and glow) in the darkness, rum+uranium=you see through walls:)

Not sure if it has much to do with IC, though.