Posts by baturinsky

I think it's possible to mass-produce wood without forestry, or power converters. Just with a more complex setup. And fueling filler(or quarry) that will replace logger can be somewhat more problematic. Lots and lots of stirlings. But Forestry is fun:)

I heard you can have free private repository for up to 5 people on bitbucket.
    But I don't see why having public repository on GitHub can be problem. It's not like anyone can write in it, it is only "public" for reading. It does not even require you to license it under any "free" license.

But it will let anyone (with programming skill) find a bug, write a patch and then Alblaka or some other core IC2 maintainer can add that patch to code with one click.

No need. Some play forestry with recipe disabled. Some don't play forestry. And even if there are two recipes present, no problem - you don't "up" smelting ores just because there is a way to get double from them using IC2 (or Thermal Expansion, or Thaumcraft etc)

Also, i only dont agree with the explosion part. Real life Nuclear reactors Do a big Boom (more than the 30-40 meter we get in MC (havent checked))

Reactors, exploding like nukes, is a misconception. You need to explode uranium in a very specific and hard-to-achieve method to make a "real" nuclear explosion. Reactor core just "meltdown" i.e. uranium melts into ultra-hot pool of liquid uranium and other parts of reactor core. Steam often explodes, though, propelling large amount of radioactive dust into atmosphere.

Low-CPU intensive radiation, I think, can be made in following way - instead of running subroutine per each block of radiation waste, run it for player. Select one block around at random, check if it is a waste, if yes - apply poison and damage.

I don't see anything about "growth time:68 sec" in minecraftwiki. Instead, I see "sugar cane grows rather slowly. An individual sugar cane block goes through 16 phases of growth"
    So, it's more like 19 minutes per one new block, which is too slow. Also, you will need fermenter. Trees are dropping apples that you can make into mulch. For sugarcane you will need separate fermenter production.

So, I suggest you try it in test world with NEI or creative mode.

Other ways of Forestry "abusing" I see: pumpkin seeds and milk.
    You can make seed oil from pumpkins and burn it for three mj/t, or burn milk for 1 mj/t. Last one is low, but one cow can provide insane number of engines with milk. Automating milking can be tricky, though, I only could do that with CC turtle and logistic pipes. Pumpkins you can get from Forestry pumpkin farm, but also from ic2 farm - they grow fast and you can collect them very fast by just walking with right button down.

And, also there is a ic2 farm/forestry addon
    http://www.mod-buildcraft.com/…rops-plugin-for-forestry/
    It harvests in 21x21x10 area, so can cover over 2000 crops (in 5 layers).
    If you breed pumpkins (or wheat, etc) for high gain and growth, it can make quite a huge surplus of energy-convertable stuff. Or iron,gold,etc.

IF you are such and expert on the issue why not give me a compressive list on the difference of both reactors so everyone can see how different both reactors are.

Yes, I am expert, in fact. But I just wanted to illustrate a reason of misunderstanding. It's because different people see and use reactors very differently.

For some players reactor are just Mk1/2 reactors. For others it's reactors with automation applied and with uranium used at best possible effectivity (or so), aka CASUCs and breeders. So, people that only know about mk1/2 reactors can't understand that reactors' potential was nerfed. And that coolant cells and heat dispensers are not necessary, or even desirable parts of reactor.

I'd go in details, but this would be off-topic. So, here is your "compressive list"

1. Cooling with water inside reactor (realistic) is disabled
    2. Cooling with ice inside reactor (realistic) is disabled
    3. Cooling with water outside reactor (realistic) is disabled
    4. Cooling with vents (unrealistic) is now mandatory (alternatives are even more unrealistic)
    5. Cooling with redstone and lapis (extremely unrealistic) are presented as a replacement for cooling with water. Insult to injury
    6. Heating cells (even more unrealistic) added and is mandatory for breeding. What they do is great, but it would be better done with items that cool instead

So, all realistic kinds of reactors are removed and unrealistic ones became even more unrealistic.

And, "realistic" in this context is not just "like in reality", but also "like in Minecraft". Cooling with water is a part of vanilla Minecraft (water cools lava), and part of many mods (water is coolant in BC and RP). Heat=energy is a part of Minecraft (furnaces), even more so for IC (generators, thermal generators) and other mods (BC engines, RP thermopiles, etc). So, 1.3.2 reactors design contradicts established Minecraft traditions too. I'd go on (and on, and on), but again, it's a too big topic to discuss it here.

Im starting to ask myself, if people are asking for more "Realistic" Nuclear Generators now, why they didn't do it before?

The new generator basically works the same way but with added components and stuff, this is baffling me.

Do you actually know how reactors worked in 1.2.5? Did you use them? What type of 1.2.5 breeder is your favorite?

Another thing I noticed. Forestry electric gens are extremely ineffective. They give 8000eu per biomass bucket. But if you burn said biomass in bioengine, it will give 50 000 MJ. Which can be converter to 125 000 EU with Transformers mod. 15.625 times more. So, if you have Forestry and Transformers (or any other bc->ic energy converter, actually), you can get thousands of EU/t from single farm, from saplings alone, and just recycle wood (in slabs) or something.

Unless I miscalculated something, that is. What I know is that farm produce roughly 0.3 surplus sapling per second, and consumes below 30mj/t for itself. Apples are enough to supply mulch for fermenting, but not nearly enough apple cider, so I used water (0.8 buckets/sapling) instead. Using honey will improve energy output by 50% (1.2 buckets/sapling). So, 570 mj/t = 1425 eu/t. Hmm, not ridiculous, like i hoped, but still much. And no laggy scaffolds (laggy slabs instead - for recyclers).

Fuelgens (for lack of better word to distinguish it from other gens) will still require supplying scaffolds, coal etc. in great numbers, so I doubt changing them will matter much.

I'd rather see balanced "compact" greengens. Something that costs proportionally, and require proportional space, but give much more eu/t and give less lags. Those industrial skyscraper-size windmills would be cool, for example.

But if compared to the simple work of placing wind gens and some wires, it needs much more work, time and CPU (to run all those stuff that causes a bit of lag)

Yes, windmills have many advantages over thiss setup. No need for Forestry, less server and visual lag, less work/skill required... But, they require 6+ more resources to make as much eu/t. And, if you plan to use energy for scrap-assisted uu production, then each scaffold can process ~16 pieces of junk, so lag increase is comparatively small.

As i said, treegens seem to be very potent, but not overpowered. Different people, different situations, different servers and mods = different ways of eu generation used.

Your only problem about normal generators is to keep up a fuel production enough to fuel about 100+ generators, thats when wind gens comes up.

Fuel production is easy, as I wrote. One 21x21 tree farm can feed 100 generators, power itself and make some extra fuel for other BC machines. Problem is distributing scaffolds to generators, but it is very similar to making effective cobblegen+recyclerfarm.

You're going to need a crapload of generators to keep up with that demand of energy from something that outputs 10 eu/t, not to mention a system capable of evenly distributing those over all generators. At that point, you're pretty much better off going with wind or nuclear, although if the amount of space taken up/massive amounts of iron required is ignored, this would probably work pretty effectively for starting out mass fabrication

It's still 6-8 times less iron than windgen, and 20 times less than solars. Space takein is about three times less than windgens, and can be stacked vertically as well.

Nuclears are much more compact, of cause, but cost more in iron (per eu/t), and a lot of copper and gold too. And use finite fuel.

And if you don't have that much iron early, Fillerfarm is scalable both ways - you don't have to build all that gens at once.

On the other hand, Fillerfarm is probably laggy - especially scaffold making part.

So, it is not too OP, but a pretty good option.

Yes, scaffold crafting and distribution is probably most tricky part, but not too much. Even distribution is trivial with Advanced Insertion Pipes, but afaik it is not out yet for 1.3.2.
    Still, it can be done with just base BC. I have several ideas, will tell which one is better after testing.

Did some experiments. 17x17 Fillerfarm (Forestry Logger cutting+Buildcraft Filler planting trees) produce 1.4 wood per second. Converted to scaffolds, it's 700 EU/t (no typo).
    With full 21x21 farm (logger work radius) this will be 1000 eu/t. And it's just from wood, saplings can give some more (20% more I think), but not sure they worth the hassle and gold for electric generators. It's probably better to use saplings energy for BC/Forestry needs,

Costs are: 4 diamonds for logger and one diamond tube, some gold for tubes, 800 of iron for 100 generators.

Alternatively, two thirds of wood can be converted to slabs, and "burned" in recyclers. Then Fillerfarm will be able to produce one UU per 25 seconds all by its own.

Specifically, weeds go wild after around 21-24 Growth stat. So, optimal breeding tactics is to get to 19-29 growth first (to accelerate breeding process) and then go for Gain and Resistance.

There are situations where quantum chestplate are very useful. Like, swimming in lava or fighting with endermen in The End. But other wise, jetpack and/or lappack are more useful.

Conclusion.
    1. 9 of 10 people write in topic after reading only title and may be one or two first posts.
    2. I should avoid using word "realism" on IC forum at all costs. Especially in title or first two posts of topic.