Posts by cpw

I seem to be in the minority here, but I just want the advanced machines, as they stand, to stay compatible with new releases of IC2. They're more than powerful enough, especially when fed by BC pipes or RP2 tubes.

Here's the problem, and why I think this is worthwhile. Firstly, let's assume that zip never returns.
    So, I don't have Zip's code. I have something I decompiled from his code. I have got it working, obviously, as did arsenic. However, I don't really understand why zip done things the way he did. I can see different, easier (to me) ways to write code that does a similar thing. As IC2, and BC and other stuff (like MCF) moves forward, it's going to get harder to make sure that this mod continues to work. Trust me, I work in the Java industry and I've seen the kinds of disaster that can befall people who try and keep doing that. If I want to be in this for the long haul, I want something that's going to be easy for me (or someone I hand it to) to maintain. The code decompiled from Zip is neither. Technically, I can't even share it in decompiled form. Now, I can rewrite what zip done, and "present" it as my mod. But that's not fair to zip either- it's still his ideas, I've just gone and stolen them from him. So, I want to do something that goes beyond what he's done. Hence the above. I think if it's a reimagining of the whole suite of work, and just overlaps a bit with Zip's ideas, certainly inspired by Zip's ideas but still, unique enough to be different, then that makes me happy to make the effort.

Anyway, as soon as next IC2 hits, I'll be getting to work on the new beginning. I will probably have a look at making sure Zip's mod still works too. Though once BC3 really lands, all bets have to be off for Zip's stuff. He does some slight weirdness with BC as it is- it's not going to be easy to make it BC3 compatible.

(No quotes, as this is in reply to lots of people)

FOR THE LATEST VERSION OF ADVANCED MACHINES, THAT WORKS WITH 1.23, GO HERE ->http://forum.industrial-craft.…page=Thread&threadID=2747

As others have noted, Zippinus has more or less just up and disappeared (someone mentioned something about him moving?) and cpw has taken over the mod until he comes back. There are two versions linked in the first post: the first is just a plain patch that makes it 1.23 compatible. The second one is a full update, adding the forge ore dictionary as well as making it so that the advanced machines should be able to process anything the normal versions can, even items from add-ons (cpw specifically mentions the bio-diamonds add-on as an example).

Err, not quite. I haven't "taken over" anything. I simply tweaked a couple of things so that the modded items loaded their recipes from the base items. I may and hope to rebuild a "better" version, but I'm waiting for the new IC2 update first, as well as seeing how much work is involved in freshly updating to the new IC2 codebase.

Also, I must insist that arsenic87 take as much credit as I do- he was the one who first put his head over the parapet metaphorically and got the mod working with 1.23 http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=15363#post15363 . I simply took his excellent work and tweaked it. Also, we don't dismiss that zipp won't return one day. Maybe he will, and I will happily respect his wishes, if he ever expresses any on this topic.

Put simply, I have not taken over this mod and have no intention of doing so in the long term (though I hope to make sure it'll still work when 1.33 lands). However, I am researching developing a replacement, depending on my time and the the amount of effort required.

I thought the ore dictionary fix version worked with items added by mods, so that any items that work in normal macerators, extractors, and compressors worked in the advanced version.

Haven't tested rocket science mod (no SMP) but every other mod I've tested works yes- basically whenever the recipe list for a macerator/extractor/compressor changes, I've hooked the mod to refresh its list from the base models. So all recipes from all mods should work yes.

Heh, yeah, no to weapons. I want to do stuff that won't exercise my utterly rubbish graphical design skills.

I'm just holding waiting for the IC2 update to get cracking on this. Also, want to see what's happening with 1.0 stuff. But should have something pretty soon after the next IC2 lands.

Update for everyone. Thanks very much for the ideas. This is a little side project for me, I will be hanging around, but I do have a day job (for which I write Java code, busman's holiday anyone ;) ) so I won't be turning around addons at speed.

I think I will be creating a new addon, because I really don't want to steal zipp's work. However, it will contain "tier 2" and "tier 3" machines. Partly I'll do this because all I have of Zipp's code is decompiled, so it's not the prettiest stuff. I have a couple of ways I want to make things better so it's probably easier to start from scratch, metaphorically.

Give me a week or so.

By the way, looking for names, I noticed that what we've called Macerators in IC2 are probably more properly called crushers or mills (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ball_mill). Macerators are actually things that chew, like your mouth ;)

So here's what I think:
    We have tier 1:
    Elec furnace; Macerator; Compressor; Extractor; Recycler
    Tier 2 is going to be (my additions in red):
    Ind. furnace; ball mill (upgraded macerator); power compressor (upgraded compressor); hydraulic extractor; dust recycler
    Tier 3 will be:
    Blast furnace; rotary ball mill; power compactor (t3 compressor); vacuum extractor; magnetic recycler

Tier 2 items will be slightly less powerful than the Adv Machine versions (except furnace of course); they will spin up and for extractor; compressor and ball mill will generate small amounts of "dust" randomly as a side effect for feeding into the dust recycler (for more predictable scrap). (Expect 1 dust from a stack of ore or something similar, not meant to really replace anything current, just a little "benefit").

Tier 3 will be able to process many items simultaneously (blast furnace up to say, six; similar for the others) as well as more reliable "dust" generation for the recycler. The recycler "magnetically" separates the dust so there's a small chance for "small pile of iron dust" from dust gathering, is my thought (as well as usual scrap).

Dust mechanisms will be as outlined above: adv recyclers "collect" accumulated dust from machines nearby for processing, but only when powered. T2 machines will not be as good for range or maximal accumulation as T3, obviously. An interesting side effect of this mechanism is the idea of "clogging". If a machine becomes "full" of dust, it no longer works very well. Probably a real problem for efficient T3 set ups :)

Tier 3 spinup will be slow, and you won't be able to turn them off and on on demand though- once you turn them off they remain "hot" for some period (maybe an MC day) and can't be reactivated without exploding. Also, they process nothing until they hit power, and will probably draw 5-10 eu/t to remain idle.

What do you think?

Ah, yes, that's right - I had forgotten about that. It was a good idea to put it there.

Hopefully Alblaka makes it a moot point by implementing them in an upcoming release of IC. :P

If you read early on in this thread, you'll see that they have no plans to ever put any of these machines in vanilla IC2 because tier 2 machines aren't what this mod is about or something...

Just to mention it by the way, these machines will NOT be implemented into IC² itself.
    The "accelerating machine" idea was exclusively meant for Smelting as "the" base operation, not for the 3 workshop machines.

However, i won't mind this addon sticking around in here ^^ Everyones own choice.

Basically, blessing an IC2 addon that does this, but don't plan on it in vanilla.

OK, thanks all for some ideas. I think that the combination macerator/recycler idea is clearly a bit of a hit, so how about this:

2 machines:
    1. an impact macerator: very similar to a rotary macerator, but has a side effect, specifically, it accumulates stone dust in an "internal" inventory through use on ores (or stone/cobblestone).
    2. an industrial vacuum. This collects the "stone dust" inventories of nearby (about 2 blocks or so distance) impact macerators and converts it into scrap.

These two machines would allow for reliable collection of scrap (probably at 64 ore/scrap, or 8 cobble/scrap). Note that I don't want to outpace normal scrap production but rather make it very reliable when used in combination with other machines.

Likely, the side effect of the impact macerator is that it won't ever be able to work as quickly as the rotary macerator.

What do you think?
    Edit: note, "stone dust" will be a virtual item, not a real item- it will only accumulate as a number inside of the macerator and vacuum.

i dont know if anyone has asked this or not but would it be possible to add rp2 pr3 ore dictionary to this cause the rp2 ores tin/copper arent recognized by the advanced machines as ic2 ores tho they are the same item but different block ids or know of a way i could add it myself like in a config file if there is one in advanced machines? and also the silver ore which is from ic2

Please search out my fix. If you look in the "pending addons" forum, you'll find a post discussing and directly linking the fix you desire.

So, I posted a couple of weeks ago one of the two updates to Advanced machines (in the main Addons thread). Firstly, for those who want it, I will link to the two updates, hopefully to help new people who are visiting and want the "working" versions of Advanced Machines.

Arsenic87 created a straightup "fix" that allows advanced machines to work with 1.23. It changes nothing about their behaviour except to make them work. His post is here. I recommend it for everyone. There is a bukkit version available as well.
    http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=15363#post15363

cpw (me) created a more "advanced" advanced machines, incorporating the two changes that I most desired in advanced machines 1.23: ore dictionary support (so you can macerate redpower ores in your rotary macerators) and a redstone fix that allows you to run hot redstone beside the machines rather than having to put a lever on them to power them on. This fix is available here, as well as a bukkit version of same (by me as well).
    http://forum.industrial-craft.…ad&postID=17145#post17145

Now, to the main point of creating this thread. I would like to continue zippinous's excellent work in his continued absence. I have a couple of more fundamental ideas than the two hotfixes above which would require me to overhaul the mod fairly radically. Specifically, I think I want to create "tier 3" combo machines.

The idea is to create something thats a combination induction+macerator+recycler. The principle is that you feed it raw ore, as you do a macerator today. It not only crunches down your ore, but captures a new thing: something like stone dust or something. This isn't a real item but rather accumulates to create scrap. So you feed it 2 iron ore. It will give you 5 iron dust (because it's a more efficient macerator) but also 2 "stone dust". These 2 stone dust aren't real, they accumulate in the machine to some set number, like 10, before coagulating into a piece of scrap, which is realised in the machine's inventory. Additionally, the iron dust will automatically be processed by the furnace component into iron bars. So the outputs from a bunch of ore would be a portion of a piece of scrap and 2.5x the bars from ore. This is just an idea for a way to generate a tier 3 machine. I can't think of a reasonable tier 3 compressor or extractor- but I think that this might be quite neat. I think the production of scrap and bars would scale with "speed"- so a newly turned on machine doesn't produce as much as a fully "charged up" machine.

Anyway, thoughts? Should I take over like this? I feel really bad for zippinous and I don't want to usurp him as mod owner, but I want to try and contribute something and I had this as an idea for something that seemed feasibly tier 3 ish.

Finally, I would like to leave this post here as a placeholder for easier discovery of arsenic87 and my fixes for advancedmachines as it stands right now.
    Edit: fix up derpy URL links. Sorry :(

Edit: For those of you concerned that these ideas will affect candidacy of this addon's content for IC2, here's a relevant quote from the original AdvMachines thread:

Just to mention it by the way, these machines will NOT be implemented into IC² itself.
    The "accelerating machine" idea was exclusively meant for Smelting as "the" base operation, not for the 3 workshop machines.

However, i won't mind this addon sticking around in here ^^ Everyones own choice.

Just because: here's a bukkit compilation of 0.95. It's untested because my daughter is currently playing on the server and I don't want to have to go and clean up existing diamond chests at the minute.

I may look at making a quickie item ID converter this week so that if you have the old items (i.e. the chest is in inventory but not placed as a block in the world) then they'll convert to the new ID/metadata.

well, it'll make diamond chests a bit more expensive without requiring more diamond and it'll make a use for the semi-useless gold so i'm all for it.
    Iron may be a small problem for large chest arrays but then again, when isn't iron a problem with IC2?

so basically: sounds good to me.

Indeed, this is why it's good to "tier" it. I think this is a good compromise. Now to see if I can build an ID converter so I don't lose the diamond chests I already have ;)