Posts by HeadHunter67

You could have just suggested a server config option or user config. My reason for getting highly annoyed is 'One type wants to drag down those better off than they are' was uncalled for.

I've already stated that I am in favor of server/user configs. That doesn't change the fact that people who "cry nerf" want to bring everyone else down to their level. Those who aren't that way offer suggestions that allow each user to decide what works, rather than blanket "fixes" that affect even those who don't see it as a problem.

I hope you can see that I'm not trying to cast apsersions - merely shedding light on a mindset that doesn't help us find solutions.

You're still not doing it right. It runs for 1900 seconds, then cools down for 7600 seconds, so the total time for run+cooldown is (1900+7600)= 9500 seconds.

9500/1900 = 5 reactors. The cooldown time is in addition to the runtime!

Roughly speasking, each reactor runs for half an hour, then cools down for 2 hours. So, in 2 1/2 hours, each reactor can run only once. There are five half-hours in that span of time.

I hope I've made myself clearer - and perhaps spared you a catastrophic meltdown along the way.

Don't start to turn this into a personal battle of bashing me for 'trying to drag the world down and make life worse for everyone'. You are getting too worked up about the fact I disagree with you.

It's called the desire for balance. Maybe mass fabs needing reactors is not the best idea. That does not mean though this needs to turn into a pissing contest about anyone who thinks different than you.

It's not a pissing contest and I'm not worked up. It's nothing personal, I'm merely trying to point out that there's no real underlying reason to want to hold everyone down for your own personal preferences. Server configs are fine - changing the game for everyone (even those who aren't on your server) so that you can have your server your way is not.

I've been trying to identify the real reason behind the calls to nerf solar, and it keeps changing. First it's performance related - until it's logically pointed out that lower output will mean more of them. Now it's about people uisng virtual energy to make virtual items for free? Again I have to ask - what's it matter what someone else on the server has? So what if they make a palace out of diamond blocks from UUM?

I have a great idea for people who want to ban the majority of the means of power generation on their servers. It's called:

Play Vanilla Minecraft. No Solars, No Windmills, No Water Mills, no UU-M, and no "free" Quantum Armor. Then you can bask in the mutual misery of knowing that no one else has the neat toys that you couldn't get.

That said, I'm all for the ability of servers to config or modify stuff, of course.

That would be ridiculously hard to code, and make mass fabs useless. If you have to spend uranium to get uum, then the entire mass fab is now pointless. The whole point is so you have something to do with your excess energy.

What he means is, that no other forms of power could work for a mass fabricator - not the other way around. But still, I agree with you - it defeats the whole reason mass fabricators were created!

I like being able to turn sunlight into diamonds (or iridium), though it takes a long time. It's a mad scientist sort of thing to do.

Let's have a show of hands - who supplies power directly to their machines from a reactor? Anyone? No? Of course not - you generally have a transformer or MFE/MFSU along the wire. Beyond that point, I don't think the game has any way to "tell" what kind of power charged the battery - because electricity is all the same. It doesn't matter if they were created as a result of heating water by sunlight, or heating water in a nuclear reactor... it's all just moving electrons.

And place and forget solars creating free items is better?

What's it to ya? Is there something wrong with making materials out of "thin air" by spending excess energy? If so, then just take the bloody mass fab out of the game - because that's why it was created. I'm still not seeing why it's really an issue. It's not like it's destabilizing the global economy or something. So someone else has a cool, shiny toy that they made (in part) with raw matter created from pure energy. Sounds like fun - doesn't make the game worse for me in the least.

The world is composed of two types of people: One type wants to drag down those better off than they are, the other type would prefer to elevate the rest to be on the same level. I'll let you guess which type cries "nerf" :)

Maybe cheaper, but you need uran and often to change used cells. If you think what 8 eu is to small, you can change value in config file. UU-M not problem with cactus farm and recyclers. Free energy generators must to be expensive for crafting, but it's work lifetime and no need to service.

I pull up at least 1-2 uranium every time I send my miner down a hole. Considering the cost of each mining operation, the uranium is a freebie and pays for itself.

As for "free energy generators must be expensive"? That's your opinion and I do not share it. The opportunity cost is too high. And I'm not going to justify the balance of your mod based on what I "could do" with another mod like BuildCraft (which I feel no need to use).

To make a long story short, a crafted item should be able to stand on its own in terms of performance and cost, without resorting to editing the config or using another third-party mod. Think about the energy cost to generate 14 UU-M (even with scrap) and then do the math and see how long ONE of your solars has to run to pay for the cost of the iridium that went into it. The answer is: THREE HOURS. That may not seem like a lot to you, but it's longer than a reactor cycle and it's about 18 Minecraft days.

I'd be better off saving the power that went into the UU-M and using that instead. I'm sure you thought it was a great idea but anyone who takes the time to analyze the cost-to-benefit ratio will soon see that they're throwing their mats and power into a hole.

I'm never one in favor of "nerfs" because the implication is that something changes not because of an inherent problem but because others come up short.

I'm more in favor of finding out why other forms of power generation aren't used and making them properly effective. My recommendations are merely intended to offer a way to keep the rest of it pretty much as is. But I'll trust in your vision for the mod.

I like the general idea. Solars got nerfed by reimplementing the old circuit recipe and i think adding carbon fiebers instead of carbon dust (not carbon plates though) would be a neat buff for the importance of coal, as well.

I'm glad you like the idea. What do you think of the need for reinforced glass? It would make sense, considering that the panels need no maintenance once deployed.

Increasing the construction cost or reducing the output have the exact same net effect : reducing the EU/material invested. Reducing the output is easier to do because I don't have to update the client to reflect a new recipe.

That's one of the net effects. But increasing the construction cost means fewer are needed - and even if you get less lag with the fix, it's still better for a server overall to have fewer of them.

And if we're talking about what something "should" look like, then nuclear reactors are far too small, don't you agree?

Agreed - but reducing the output won't change that - if anything, it will make it worse. So the key is to make other forms of energy more feasible when available.

I wouldn't mind using wind, but the sound causes some serious lag (looks like it's all handled by software, not the sound hardware). Nuclear power is good, but if it was the best option, more people with mass fabs would use it. Not being able to synthesize uranium from UU-M might factor into that too.

So I've posted this several other places. I agree 100% that renewable energy in general is way too OP, with solar being the worst culprit because it requires the least planning and effort to install.

So I made the following tweaks :
    Solar output is HALVED. It's still good because it's easy to setup, but half the power is a lot more fair compared to nonrenewable energy.

Why do people seem to cling to the foolish notion that reducing solar output will solve anything? All it will do is lead to people using twice as many solars!

Simple construction fixes that would move the production (not the output) of solars into T2 levels, yet remain reasonable:

1) Carbon Plates instead of coal dust. The coal cost per solar is increased by a factor of 4, plus a little energy to compress them.

2) Reinforced Glass instead or regular glass: Essentially adds the cost of an alloy plate per solar (well, 6/7ths of it).

Not drastic changes, but ones that require a compressor, more materials, and a bit of extra energy to make.