Posts by bbqroast

So was this person you talked to, 11, maybe 12 years old?

Nope much older, and that's the concerning part.

Well said Crafter of mines. I personally havn't looked at SirSengirs stuff. Maybe I will he seems pretty cool.

You should, the mod is amazing. Biofuel (it's so green!!!!), bees and plenty of farms are fun to play with.

Crafterofmines, your post should be stickied and become required reading material. Great analogy.

I love Forestry (used it on my old single player world if I can free up enough IDs I'll install it on my new server), and I cannot wait to tear into all the cool new features. It provides a level of automation that BC was lacking (ie eventually running out of oil).

I was thinking, that this:

Should seriously be made into a painting? It was a great April fools joke (I was visiting your blog in class, it was the day before April Fools (NZST), should have seen my face- I actually thought it was legit until I read the wrong doing tile entities part). And I personally would like to have on on the wall of my workshop :).

Is it possible to add it to the existing painting library? Or does it have to be a new item.

You didn't ask for permission. Stop giving me the pathetic story about all the little modders who were raised high to your "glorious" throne. The fact is, if you didn't ask (or if they said no) it is wrong- no matter how many donations, players, etc they get. It is wrong.

If CovertJaguar doesn't want RailCraft in then it shouldn't be in. If jimmy doesn't want his more wools mod in, it shouldn't be in either.

Also whoever said "stupid brits" please don't call us British people stupid. But I must agree the Yogscast is by far my least favorite Youtube channel, it was bad enough when they started. The millions of five year old fans have only made it worse.

Also most Technic fans are completely oblivious to the mod authors. My friend who uses it doesn't even know what mod teleport pipes come from. I know more about the mods than him (and I only use like 10% of what is in the Technic pack).
    Oh and Mr Technic seeing as your here could you tell me how many downloads you get a month? And while your at it how many ad clicks you get?

I personally would like to see both a popularized config file for the major technical mods along with a shared forum (in terms of features and style I like these forums the most, perhaps this forum could become the shared one).

Guys, are you dumb or just forgetful? Do you remember that magic world that accompanies the redpower name? Huh? Prerelease? Wutsdat?

It means RedPower its still in development and many many new things are planned to be added to it, unlike IC2 which can be considered finalized for the most part and new things are only added by the whimsical Dragon Lord when it feels like it.

Meh, everything is under development. If you don't want people to rate it, don't release it.
    I'm fine with RP2 stuff not all using power. My main issue with it is the lack of heavy duty generation methods. If your in the Nether your running around carrying batteries (thermopiles are as about as useful as unmanned watermills).

They said once that bandwidth for the launcher downloads costs them some thick cash.

I imagine they get more in ads to be honest. You can get a dedicated server with 10TB of bandwidth for under 100 bucks a month. I have 70MB in my "tekkit" folder (yes, I downloaded the launcher to get some data). 10,000,000/70 = 142,857 which is if you ask me not to bad. AWS's S3 charges $0.12/GB which is enough for 14 launcher downloads. 0.8 cents a download. At $1.3 a click, you only need one click per 162 downloads!
    It adds up, but Alblaka said this forum was worth something like $200/mo in advertisement oops my bad, apparently it was for the entire site and it was $213 a day (I hope he adds some ads, especially considering his financial worries) and this forum only has 7200~ users.

So, Technic uses adverts on their website. So I was interested, how much could they make from them?
    They have about 42,000 registered users on their forums, consider how many download it but don't look on the forums, then consider how many pages each of those downloadees look at. According to Google Adsense the "minecraft" keyword costs about 1.7NZD a click. About 1.3USD. Considering that they must make a decent amount each month, most likely far more than their web hosting bill.

41,000 users registered on the technic forums, not to mention terrabytes of downloading going on daily from new people trying out the pack, and you only found one idiot so far?
    I had a banner day yesterday kicking around a dozen or so no effort posting idiots plus one little worm who was trying to scam someone out of a legit minecraft account.

This is all I will say on the forestry issue.
    Forestry was a fiasco and stems from sir sengir's complete lack of communication despite kakermix's many attempts. He never asked for it to be removed, he just inserted malicious code into his mod. The best anyone can guess is he apparently thought he was sneaky enough that it would be seen as the technic team's fault for destroying people's worlds, driving people away from the pack.
    It's a great mod, but I for one do not trust it one bit anymore and if it weren't for buildcraft being open source I wouldn't trust it anywhere near me computer either.

I use Forestry, I actually commend Sir Sengir for taking a move. In the past the Technic/Tekkit authors haven't given a s**t about what the mod authors say.

ores dont have an emc value dude

well...

except tungsten which is worth like 2 diamonds.

Seriously? On my world we have about 12 tungsten! Considering we don't have that many diamonds it's pretty OP. My big dig against are the energy condensers. I mean you just stick a block of glowstone on top and wait, they don't even take that long.

So here is a guy saying he is the boss at everything except for computer craft and RP2 computers. He has achieved "end game". I then tell him Technic/Tekkit is actually stolen. He says "no they have the mod author's permission". I then ask him why forestry was removed. He replies "because no one liked it, and it is a terrible mod". Then he goes intoa full out argument trying to get me to understand the Equivalent Exchange is not overpowered (all he does to achieve "end game" is use EE, no point in awesome RP2 sorting systems and giant IC2 power networks when you can transmute everything directly!).

/rant.
    On the plus side it made me realize why I don't like EE so much: It simplifies things. A server makes ingots worth half as much EMC as the ores to prevent infinitely profitable loops. As soon as you get the stone thingy you don't need Macerators, or EU to power them. You just use the stone/table to turn all your ores directly into ingots. If you have EE it isn't fun anymore, instead of building cool things you can just use EE to get everything. Direwolf20 for example realizes this at least, and seems to avoid just using EE for everything.

Also on a side note I started playing with a friend. Using a ton of industrial mods, really fun. We just started are first quarry (but he just left for a trip, trying to avoid the temptation to boot up the world and do everything without him).

where does all this rp2 vs. btw drama come from any way?

BTW was moved to Forge a while a go. Around the time Eloraam added the cool new stuff to RP2 (tubes, blutricity) the author of BTW suddenly got really pissed. He took Forge and modified to make an exclusive version for his mod and accused Eloraam of something to do with copying all the other mods. In fairness RP2's tubes are worlds away from Buildcraft's both of them are still used a lot.

I would personally be fine with advertising (as long as it isn't popups). Perhaps put a banner ad to the right of the bread crumbs, in between the forum banner and the IC2 recent version box.

When you search for stuff in NEI it shades the content of your inventory (unless it matches those terms), I personally find this rather annoying. While I can understand why, however I am not one to loose things in my inventory very often so is there a way to turn it off?
    Pretty offtopic I know, but then this is the "offtopic" forum :P. And I figured most people who use IC2 also use NEI.

Ok. I'm not sure what is more silly, the amount of spammers spamming about kitchens or that new advanced AI computer that has an addiction to photos of cats.

So basically teleporting all entities, adjusting their rotation and velocity to the direction of the receiving teleporter, but maintaining the velocity (just pointing it in a new direction, relative to the difference in rotation between the transmitting and receiving teleporters).
    Sir the enemy are placing... half slabs? on our lawn!!
    Soldier, hand me the telescope.
    Sir do you s-
    Wait, thos- GET BACK
    (sound of detonating TNT)
    I hope this gets implemented

Also teleportation should be a LOT cheaper. The only time I have seen them used is on GC, in KaneHart's house. Considering he is collecting (or has collected) and array of 50 HV solar panels I don't think he counts. Also, Firefox why u no believe in teleport? Perhaps a maximum of 100EU per item stack, and 1,000 for the player. Times a quarter of the distance?? For a thousand blocks that is 1.15mEU (on SMP people will travel pretty far, I see that as a decent price).

Awesome looking world! For optimization, I would get as many of those solar panels into arrays as possible, there won't be as many lag spikes that way. Other than that, I think going nuclear is the best for CPU performance(sans CASUCs).

Eh. I think cycling a nuclear reactor every tick is more intensive than a couple of solar panels (wait cancel that, panels look all the way to the sky). Nuclear energy has to be refueled solar panels don't. Also I doubt on this scale it is a big deal (before advanced solars I've seen arrays of hundreds of solar panels).

Please, I'd rather it isn't. Downloading RedPower, 7 (or 8) files each with an adf.ly link. Lets say 10K people use RedPower (and don't use it in stolen form *cough*technic*cough*), that comes to 350,000 seconds (or 400,000) per update. 97 hours of people's time wasted. I imagine Eloraam at least on a sub conscious level does this because she/he gets 7 or 8 times the money per user. Downloading IC2 is always a relief because it takes one download, one clearly named jar (also I never change the IC2 configs, as far as I care the other mods must make room for it, not the other way round).
    As Steve Jobs showed (I'm not a mac lover, but my phone priorities go: 1. iPhone,2. Nokia,3. one of the above) people like simplicity, imagine if Windows came in seperate disks for every functionality and they were named obscure things like "control" (which gave you the right click menu, totally not a reference to the fact that I have played with RP2 for half a year+ and still don't know what half the packages actually are).

If you want to do an SMP one I would suggest going to the Elemental Machine Server 90% of the people give out free stuff when there happy (which is most of the time) and there is very little griefing (only one case). Plus it's got bukkit. :thumbup:

I'd probably stick to my own private server, I have a pretty beefy server box which means I can get away with running all my machines in chunkloaded areas (any proper public server should frown on this, it uses quite a bit of CPU power). I kind of find it ruins the game if I just spawn and am given a couple of HV solar panels and a Mass Fab.

For those of you who are wondering what happened let me explain.
    So I started doing a bit of stuff, and wham I had:
    Built a nether geothermal mass generation rig.
    Built a Minecart track in the nether
    Built a new giant room
    Done a ton of mining
    Got forestry
    Built a plant for making bio fuel
    Built a tree farm for the saplings
    Built an automatic factory for processing ores.
    And some other stuff I forgot about.
    Anyway I didn't take any pictures... Soz guys. So I planned to do a final round up post of all the pictures, so I dutifully loaded up my world. Walked towards my new stuff. And bam! Everything was gone. All the chunks returned to their natural state.

Sorry.
    Bbqr0ast
    Now I have a much better computer I hope to film some videos soon. Perhaps an LP? Possibly a co op SMP one. :).