Posts by Cadde

Which, at the moment, still doesn't work (I think this is a known bug though). Use a transformer to step down/up and a second to receive and regenerate the packets, then you can switch the state of either of them so that it mis-matches and thus shuts off the power.

The splitter is working as intended. You just need to provide it a redstone signal in the correct manner.

A redstone torch underneath it works.
    A redstone wire leading up to it works.

I have yet to test any other possibilities though.

Translation:

I found a "cool" bug, if you place two nearly empty energy crystals in a crafting table you can combine them into one energy crystal that has the energy of the two crystals combined. (Merging the damage values)

I know what it is, in MC 1.0.0 you can combine two items to repair them. For instance, combining 2 damaged shovels gives you one shovel that has the life of the 2 combined in it.

Bug:

*Confirmed*
    It's not an IC2 bug really but more a "Notch being funny" as usual breaking all mods that rely on damage values.

Now, doing this is obviously HORRIBLY wasteful. But i don't see how we can prevent it from happening?
    We need to ask Forge to come to the rescue once more.

Tell us more... What mods are you using? How did you install them? Are you using bukkit?

Obviously it's a random NPE happening but without knowing the environment we could spend a billion years looking for the cause.

EDIT: The NPE is caused by a player becoming null while the game is iterating all players. Not thread safe code, rare error and i would assume it is really caused by something completely different.

Using copper cable you can only use 4 pieces of insulated cable before your energy from the solar panel is lost.
    Using gold with any insulation you can only use 2 pieces of cable.
    Using refined iron (HV) cable you can only use 1 insulated cable.

Using tin or fibre cable you can use 39 pieces of cable before the power is lost.

Short and sweet, use tin cables going into a bat box that is no longer than 39 pieces of cable.

Read up on cables on the wiki: http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/index.php?title=Cable

... The file is still too small. If you re-did everything from the start then there is something else going horribly wrong.

My guess is that it is downloading the completely wrong thing...

My file info:

industrialcraft-2-client_1.43.jar

Size: 2.34 MB (2,458,648 bytes)
    Size on disk: 2.34 MB (2,461,696 bytes)

I downloaded it from the link in the public release section on these forums, the file link is: http://wiki.industrial-craft.net/Downloadfiles/IndustrialCraft²/industrialcraft-2-client_1.43.jar

Opening the .jar file in WinRar gives me the following content:

- armor
    - ic2
    mod_IC2$OreHandler.class
    mod_IC2.class

Opening the .jar file in notepad (which all of us have) the first line in the file starts with:

Code
    PK     Hi?               armor/PK     }—ˆ?

If your file doesn't start with "PK" then your file isn't a .jar archive.
    Let's assume your file is in the form of readable text like.

Code
    HTTP 400 blablablablabal

or likewise then it is the program you are using to download it that is broken... So for instance, if you are using Internet Exploader to download the file with then install Google Chrome/FireFox or any of the other thousand webbrowsers and try downloading with those instead.
    Of if you have a download manager installed then UNINSTALL it. It only messes things up for you.

Reading the Minecraft ToS clearly puts the entire modding community on very shaky ground. It clearly states not to distribute anything they have made or to distribute modified versions of anything they have made. The entire modding community requires this. I hope the new API Jeb is working on clears this up, and hopefully Mojang will adopt a proper licensing agreement since even this is a matter of licensing and not of copyright.

A couple of fun facts:

Copyright infringement is not theft. This has been decided by several courts and has never been refuted.
    Copyright infringement in all but very rare cases is a civil matter, and as a result the only guaranteed rewards for a won case are provable losses/damages.

Absolutely, every time a modder releases a base class mod (that includes me too btw) he is also redistributing part of the minecraft code. That is against the copyright that comes with MineCraft.
    ModLoader, ModLoaderMP and Forge are all base class "mods".

Now, where i live (Sweden) you are not allowed to obtain copyrighted materials without permission either. This applies to many other countries as well. Simply downloading ModLoader, ModLoaderMP and Forge is a violation of the copyright and I (and many others) can be charged for that just the same as the people who distributed the minecraft base class modifications. Notch lives in Sweden too and he knows just too well what piracy is (Piratebay) and knows about the laws on copyright.
    Distributing and/or obtaining parts of or the entirety of "minecraft.jar" from any other source than minecraft.net is a violation of the copyright. Doesn't matter if it's 1% original MC code and 99% your own code.

Now, why should Notch even care if we thumb a little on the copyrights to make mods possible which gives him more sales and a greater community? (which is a HUGE advertisement machine running 24/7)
    Well, on one hand he doesn't care that much, he is aware of the benefits he receives from the modding community. It has sped up the rate of success for Minecraft in ways he can't even begin to imagine. I would dare say, without mods for MC, the game would still be as popular as it was about 2 years ago.
    Howver, on the other hand he does care a lot about the copyright...

The thing about java code is that it is easily reverse engineered since it's in the most basic way just a set of compiled instructions that can be decompiled very easily. Hence why Notch has to obfuscate the code.
    The people maintaining MCP has done an awesome job (I have done a very small part of it) de-obfuscating the code which has helped countless modders make awesome mods. The thing about this though is that, once you have ONE base class file you can de-compile it and read it as code. Albeit in the form "xx.yy.zzz()" instead of "Block.blockID.ShiftedIndex()" as an example. MCP (Minecraft Coder Pack) will turn all the "xx.yy.zzz()" type code into human readable code.

Now, if a modder releases something very important to the way MC works, like the cave generation code, then a competitor to Mojang and Minecraft can "steal" this code and implement it in his own game with a few changes (to claim it is his code) and be one step closer to making a minecraft clone that is as good or better than minecraft. So every base class that gets in the hands of another developer is equal to you giving your secret "super awesome burger sauce recipe" to the competing restaurant across the street.
    Obviously, the competing developer can spare the money to buy MC and as such will gain access to the entire code base so this is quite far fetched. But it still is copyright violation to redistribute and receive copyrighted material without permission.
    It doesn't matter that you can get a complete copy of minecraft and minecraft server anywhere on the internet easily without owning the game and are able to play it cracked with ALL the features.
    It doesn't matter if you already own the game, downloading it or parts of it from any other source than minecraft.net is a violation of the copyright.

So now we get to the complicated part... To make a mod in minecraft we pretty much have to make a base class modification somewhere. None of BuildCraft, Industrial Craft or RedPower etc etc would be possible without ModLoader, ModLoaderMP and Forge providing hooks into the minecraft code... Well, they would be possible but would take twice the work to maintain and would most likely NOT be compatible with each other.
    So we cannot get away from modifying and releasing Minecraft base classes to make our mods.

But besides the fact we need Forge etc to make base clean (that is, not alter the base classes) and allow these mods to run in tandem without clashing into each other at the base code... IC2, BC and RP2 are ALL originals in that the author can issue his own copyright on his work. The code and the files ONLY belong to the developer in question that made them. That is:

• SpaceToad and his developers for Buildcraft.
    • Eloraam for Red Power.
    • Alblaka and his developers for Industrial Craft.

They are in the same position as Notch, they CAN make money from donations and adf.ly links. People downloading their mods from other sources are very unlikely to donate or use the "appropriate" adf.ly links.
    While i personally think using adfly links is quite the double morale and a complete waste of time and only serves to make the process of downloading the mods more painful i also see why they want to do it. They want something in return for spending countless hours making things that serve the community as a whole rather than themselves. They are doing things they don't necessarily want to make us happy.

I will NEVER use any adfly links or likewise. I will never accept ANY donations for my modding work. I make all code because i want to, not because i have to.
    While i appreciate the odd "Thank you" here and there i would never demand anything from anyone when making mods.

For me sharing is caring!

But if my only source of real life income would come from modding then my attitude would change pretty quick. Notch has no other source of income than Minecraft. As such, should minecraft die out from competition or otherwise then it is the same thing as losing your job.
    However, i make money off coding but i only make money off coding on demand. Someone needs some code that i am not interested in making for free and as such they ask me to make it and i get paid.
    I build and repair computers from time to time. As much as i love building a new computer i also hate dealing with all the crap that comes along with it when I'm not the one who is going to be using it. On countless occasions i have DECLINED fixing a certain computer even if i would get paid €60 to do so because it would just bee too much work doing it.

If however i feel like this would benefit me and thus feel motivated in doing some coding for FUN then i share freely. And i stand fast to my "sharing is caring" motto.
    Anyone is free to "steal" my stuff, they are only really stealing from themselves because it doesn't belong to anyone. So if the "Technic pack" wants to use my OreVeins mod they can do so freely. They don't need my permission, if they ask i will not tell them to sod off.
    But i still will not accept their attitudes, they could be much nicer about it but they openly shit on the developers who have other wishes.

That just doesn't fly with me. As such i will call them names and point out how wrong they are ad infinitum until they fix their bad ways.

I don't know any large tutorials but if you can give me a few small questions about what you don't get about RP then shoot me a PM and i will help you figure it out.

RP2 is pretty straight forwards, if you think about it it's just like redstone but takes less space and allows you to build vertically.

You would be better off with filling your reactor with just U-Cells and pulse it for 1 second every X minutes.
    Or even better yet, build a CARUC (A rector that is supplied with water buckets constantly allowing you to run that forever.)

Those cooling cells are just ineffective at best.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/w…velopment_versions#11w49a

The release was made on Dec 8th and isn't MC 1.0.0 but a development build (much like the 1.9pr releases) and using IC2 on them is most likely futile.

Just FYI since i don't think you mentioned it. You can fill empty cells using a pump and a miner (only IC2 stuff that is) but it will cost you one tin for 4 empty cells. IMHO it's worth it over making a bucket fed geogen.
    Reason is simple, less lag, less machines to accomplish the task. Cheaper for the initial setup and i don't personally think of geogens as a primary source of power.

Are you sure you are using the file that you downloaded last and not the first one you downloaded?
    Check the file size of the "industrialcraft-2-client_1.43.jar" in your mods folder. It should be 2,458,648 bytes (2.34 MB) in size.
    If it isn't then it is corrupt and needs to be replaced with a non corrupt file.

As for java updates, if it doesn't actually update there is something wrong with java which REALLY needs to be sorted prior to using it.
    Uninstall Java and re-install it using the latest 1.6 JRE. I am however running on the 1.7 JDK and it all works fine. So why not install that?

Which would make sense, if you couldn't just download the server jar right off the damned website without a password. I don't need the Minecraft.jar, I know you can't give me that. But considering the minecraft_server jar can be downloaded without being logged into the minecraft launcher client, and -anyone- can download it, I fail to see the problem here.

As far as calling me ignorant and dumb, I've tried for two days now to get this bloody thing to work, consulting video tutorials and what have you, I am starting to get fed up with it. If you've only insults to offer instead of help, kindly sod off.

Also, yes, I am downloading from minecraft.net.

The minecraft_server.jar is under the same copyrights as the minecraft.jar. Doesn't matter if anyone can download it. The only place people are supposed to get it from is minecraft.net.
    It's the same with other illegal downloads, it doesn't matter if you can get it by the click of a button or have to type a 128 character long password to get them. They still retain their copyrights.

As for calling you ignorant and dumb... That is part due to being fed up with people asking others to just solve everything for them so they can click a "start" button and part because i was a bit drunk yesterday.
    But still, having other people do it for you only makes it so you will have to ask others to do it for you until you learn how to do it yourself. And since asking others to do it for you is easier than learning you can get away with that for a long time. Why would you ever bother learning something on your own?

It's pretty simple really. Follow the instructions like everybody else and it should work if done right. If it doesn't work then you did something wrong and need to take extra care doing exactly what the instructions say.
    If you still can't get it to work then you shouldn't run a server to begin with (IMHO) because that would most likely bee beyond your skill level.

I am being honest about it. Nothing more to it.

Still don't know what's going on. All i can give you is, start everything over from scratch... Do it as if it is the FIRST time you are setting up a server. New folders, new everything.

If that doesn't work then it is a problem that is very specific to your computer and that would be beyond our scope.