Posts by MauveCloud

I'm curious: What are you using SpaceCore 0.7.12 for? I looked it up, and it seems to be a dependency for some other mods, none of which you've listed, and the description doesn't indicate it does anything without those mods installed.

No replies after 4 days? Have people put this thread on an ignore list?
    Anyway, just in case anybody cares, I did some more research and decided to go ahead and give GregTech another chance, and I skipped the other 4 from my uncertainty list (though I could add them later if I find a need for them, since none of those are heavily reliant on worldgen blocks in the overworld). I think I kept the GregTech config mostly at defaults, except that I disabled explosions from rain, and I disabled most of the worldgen stuff from mods besides GregTech, except for AE2 certus quartz, since I had read that GregTech certus quartz wasn't usable in AE2 recipes. I also disabled most of the BC/AE2 facades, since they tended to clutter up NEI and I had no real interest in using them, and I deactivated the NEI display of mob spawners, since they tended to cause lag when I was sitting on the inventory screen with the NEI search bar empty.

Okay, I ran into some annoying bugs in Millenaire 6.0.0pb2 (one stage of a creation quest got stuck at 24/25 progress, and later an inter-village raid seemed to get stuck with the raiders still there several Minecraft days later, rather than finishing as a success or failure; edit: there was also a lumberjack in a lone building who continued to respawn even after I used a wand of negation on the building, and he continued to try to plant saplings in midair after I'd cleared a large area (which included that building) down to sea level), so I'm again re-adjusting mods. There is apparently a beta version of Forge for MC 1.8, but too few of the mods I'm interested have updated to 1.8 yet, so I'm sticking with 1.7.10 for now, and Forge build 1232 (since build 1233 apparently introduced a strange conflict with Optifine that makes a lot of mod-added blocks disappear or even act like x-ray blocks)

Here are the mods I'm fairly sure I'll be including:
    Advanced Genetics
    Applied Energistics 2
    BedrockLayer
    BuildCraft
    Forestry
    GenDustry
    IndustrialCraft 2 Experimental
    MapWriter
    Mouse Tweaks
    NEI Addons
    NEI Plugins
    Not Enough Items
    Optifine
    Peaceful Plus
    Railcraft
    Too Much Loot
    Too Much Rain
    Treecapitator
    Waila
    Waila Harvestability
    Wawla
    World State Checkpoints

There are also some mods I'm having trouble deciding about now:
    Advanced Solar Panels (possibly as a way to get iridium (somewhat depending on the results of the poll I posted about that), possibly as a way to get power, though there are alternatives for both of those)
    Compact Solars
    GregTech (I've got a different monitor now, so the black granite might not be such a big deal, and if I remember to think of it as more of an overhaul than an add-on to IC2, I might be better able to accept the nerfs, disabled recipes, etc.)
    Tinkers' Construct (I liked the idea of the knapsack from this mod, but I've decided I like Forestry backpacks better; the gravel ores and oreberry bushes might still be good, though)
    Twilight Forest (mainly for the uncrafting table, which provides an alternative way to get silk wisps for Forestry backpacks, and would allow me to convert Railcraft steel armor and tools that I find in village/dungeon chests into steel ingots)

Some suggestions regarding what to enable or disable in the configs for some of these mods would be good too.

1. Liquid heat exchangers can only cool down liquids, not heat them up.

I stand corrected. The block is poorly named then. I would expect a "heat exchanger" to be able to work both ways.

As far as the insulator, what about construction foam? (in a cell or universal fluid cell as part of the recipe for the pipes) Or for aerogel, maybe construction foam combined with compressed air?

Also, I have to agree with what some said in that "heat conductors" thread - transferring heat over distance should involve some sort of fluid that would need to be either cycled back to the source or renewed (in the latter case, the used fluid would be released into the world somehow).

I find one piece either from the iridium ores add on, or just luck if I find a dungeon, then make 1 bucket of UU. At that point, you can exploit an electroliser bug to get infinite UU, so I replicate iridium using that.

I didn't know about this electrolyzer bug, but I don't feel right exploiting a bug to get infinite UU, especially since the bug could get fixed. Also, somehow it seems like more of a cheat than using Mystcraft to get oceans of UU-matter that I could pump out.

Actually, there was a similar suggestion last month: Heat conductors

I think it's already possible to do something similar to what you describe, using liquid heat exchangers, hot coolant, and fluid regulators (or liquid pipes from another mod like BuildCraft)

Considering that the "Wind Mill" was removed when IC2 went to "experimental" according to the wiki, I doubt either the details on the wiki or that thread would still be accurate.

This thread seems a bit more up to date, though I haven't completely read through it myself yet.

Afaik cables are still limited to their maximum eu/t throughput

Not that I've been able to tell. According to the details shown in NEI, even glass fibre cables are supposed to be limited to 8192 EU/t, but in a previous game I set up 8 MFSUs in parallel and my Molecular Transformer (from the Advanced Solar Panels mod) showed it was receiving 16384 EU/t even though I only had one cable connected to it, not multiple cables connected to different sides, and I think that even worked with tin cables 8| .

Thanks, sometime after I asked, I found a forum post about the 100 hU, 1 mB/t and 0 bar, but I hadn't known about the steam turbine (or do you mean the kinetic steam generator? I checked in creative mode and I can't place a steam turbine as a block). However, I finished making the overclocker upgrades I wanted, and I have pipes full of distilled water, so it might be a while before I need to make more.

I had to make new steam generators a couple of times after leaving them unattended, though. For reference, is there a way to auto-detect when a steam generator reaches 100% calcification so I could make it cut the power to the electric heat generator before the steam generator gets destroyed?

You could make a hopper clock, with enough items to take as long as you need. Or if you have something like Bluepower or Project Red, you could use 2 of the really long timed repeaters.

I'm not sure either of those would be compact enough to avoid having to rearrange my already-placed blocks, and none of the hopper clock designs I see on the Minecraft wiki have as long an "on" pulse as I want, so I'd have to add a pulse extender. I think I'll use ComputerCraft and the redstone API instead. It seems simple enough (to me at least), and I think the computer would do what I want while only taking up one block.

20 EU per meter might be too high, but I'll agree that 1 EU per 5 meters makes them worthless, and the enchantment idea sounds good to me. Also, the wiki states that static boots are an upgraded version of rubber boots, but iirc they don't reduce fall damage or count as part of a hazmat suit. Could those features be added to it as well?

I posted it as suggestion, and I went ahead and replaced my chargepad with a regular MFSU (getting most of the diamond dust I needed from processing iridium from the Iridium Mod v0.6), but now I discovered a new setback: I had tested my setup in creative mode using lapotron crystals, but now that I've got it set up in survival mode, the redstone signal didn't change when the MFSU became full, though it did once I placed a dirt block next to the comparators, which I presume means that it doesn't perform block updates when powered via cable. I've attached an image of what my setup looks like from above. Is there something I can set up to automatically force a block update every few seconds for those comparators?