Posts by CraftyFellow

The problem i see with cycling overclocked vents, is the vents won't let you have stable heat in the MOX reactor.

The idea would be to have vents instantly slide in. Presumably they were stacked up in a hopper.

It may be feasible to rapidly replace the top left overclocked vent, how many you'd need to have in circulation, and how rapidly swapping is the question. Would this all be worth it? Unlikely.

Interesting, that's sort of the opposite idea, heat coolant cells, removing their heat ONLY in other places, versus my madness about giving fans a greater burden than they can endure but constantly send them to cool off paradise.

Cool that this config allows separation of the adjacent rods for pulse strength, and the demands they make in terms of positioning in a reactor that's try to cool things.

Still, when it comes to raw venting power, the business of full grids of overclocked vents would be substantial.

Thank you spawn. I suppose some maniac could make a system that auto extracts not coolant cells, but overclocked fans. Giving THEM somewhere else to cool down, in order to keep a fluid reactor at a heat it's components couldn't usually endure. It seems unlikely there'd be a benefit to doing this rather than distributing 60k coolant cells, but the devil's in the details with things like how fast coolant cells tend to give thier heat to neighboring units.

Still, you export vents, you're exporting objects that are all actively cooling themselves in the secondary reactor, instead of setting up a network to drain the heat from coolant cells. while immediately sliding in fresh cool one in order to keep a reactor at a heat it couldn't usually swing. It would have to be some much faster swapping than with coolant cells.

This may be VERY worth doing, it seems like the problematic habit of overclocked fans to unevenly take the reactor's burden ( unless coaxed by exchangers) probably wouldn't matter when they're in a reactor that isn't ACTIVELY giving them heat.

The ability to have one or more entire reactors where in full grids of overclocked fans are running without a need for any component heat distribution strategy could be a very big deal if you arrange a rapid switching.

Yes Requia, I will probably save them for RTGs, but....I'm sorry what does CRCS stand for?

Also regarding RTGs I've read somewhere, and it seems unlikely to be right, that the heat one provides 64 hu/t, and the electric one provides 64 Eu/T...that's not right is it? Seems like Hu/T would be twice as high as Eu/T for equality sake. Usually how these things go. If they're equal I'd obviously wanna go with the EU/t

Thank you, two more questions:

1.Just to be super clear, is the ratio of heat dissipated by vent to hot coolant created any different with mox cells? Is there ANY method of changing said ratio?

2. Is it possible to automate the removal and replacement of certain components from a reactor?

For example could I place an emerald transport pipe that removes 60k coolant cells? If so where do I attach it? Anywhere? hatch?

The heat absorbed by coolants cells have yet to be dissipated. Its stored there. You can then afterwards use vents and whatmore to take the heat from it (then recycle it back into the mox reactor).

Oh! You're talking about putting the heated cells into other fluid reactors. Gotcha. Still, it sounds like we're still hitting our head on the same ceiling where one reactor can only do so much, the only real advantage in doing what you describe would be that you get a great deal of power out of one set of MOX fuel cells, though you have to build multiple reactors to work on it's total product?

I'm getting ideas about making a redstone timer, that alternates a strong fluid mox reactor on and off. While off, couldn't 60k coolant cells that were still full of heat continue to dissipate and provide SOME hot coolant?

But isn't any heat absorbed by coolant cells a waste in a fluid reactor? I thought hot coolant was only produced when VENTS dissipate heat? How do we get ahead?

I think I might know what you've mean. I've seen the graphic where red lines start creeping over from the right as hot coolant levels rise, and they effect the components, right?

So MOX outputs more (EU or hot coolant) if the core temperature is high? The ideal thing is to get the core temperature high, but stable, and keep the components alive?

You might want to use MOX fuel too, for extra power in the reactor.

It generates more heat in a fluid reactor, so beware. Also more heat the hotter the reactor, so beware².

Do they have a different ratio than uranium for component heat dissipation and hot coolant generated?

For example I have a fluid reactor set up, and it produces as much heat as my components can handle, but frankly I wish it was outputting MORE hot coolant, my system could absorb more of that.

I've been saving all my plutonium, because I don't know much about MOX, and whether my plutonium should go to that or RTG pellets.

Before I switch to your superior component configuration I'm going to try one more crack at superior fluid distribution. Once I get a bunch of iron logic gates I'm going to make at least two dozen more (to be sure) semi fluid generators. Then attach to each generator's pipe:

if <25% full emit redstone signal
    if not red stone signal close pipe.

Should put an end to this nonsense of full generators and empty generators. Once I know exactly how much EU/T I can squeeze out of my 1056 hu/t component set up it'll be very cool to apply that to your better components.

I'm afraid it does not stop. Whatever the problem is here, one electrical with way more power than it needs stutters, but 2 per laser works better. Meanwhile they're "running" and building large amounts of storage. There seems to be an unintended bottleneck in the excretion of RF from electrical engines.

I ran a laser on a combustion engine, which was producing far less than an upgraded electrical engine, combustion runs perfectly smooth.

I've begun my galacticraft space exploration. Maybe I'll just delay any heavy duty laser work until I get myself a carbon/hydrogen>methane>fuel factory going, and set up a grid of combustion engines by the shore. Then my EU can power Electrolysis to make hydrogen production, and it can power carbon extraction from mars atmosphere....that's a form of EU to RF, and it seems like the coolest reason to automate those cargo rockets that go from planet to planet. Should be very fun to set up it's complete automation.

And the electric engines haven't been useless. I got some advice about a good sugar farm to generate scrap, and a redstone engine wasn't quite sufficient to pump out all the scrap from the recycler.

Boosting the laser with two bronze and two tin didn't stop the stutter, even when not over heating.

When boosting an electrical it will claim to have an increased output, but won't be able to stop stuttering.

The RF storage and the heat numbers climb, and seem to matter though.

There seems to be a problem (bug)? With the electrical engines ACTUAL output (not production), because two engines that are choked will run a single laser fine, even though their "storage" keeps fluctuating between 0 and a few hundred.

Yet a healthy one producing over 100 and claiming high output can't keep from stuttering.

So for now, I'm using two choked electricals (with choke to prevent overheat) per laser. May break down and start using the combustion engine for lasers.

What I'm actually doing now is power each laser with two electrical engines, which have the copper (choke).

liquid heat gens+sterling gens produce the same total EU from biogas at 16EU/t. It's not actually less gen blocks, but it'll be much more compact.

That's surpising. I thought Stirlings simply turned Hu/T into half as much Eu. Whereas fermenters turn 40,000 heat into a bucket of biogas worth 64,000 heat or 32,000 Eu

And that's a great looking component config, I'll have to try it, thanks.

I'm really glad to have the forestry mod. Backpacks are cool and I LOVE the Workbench. Wish I had that while making tons of circuits and motors while leveling up in IC2EX. Crates seem pretty cool too. Do they work with ANYTHING?

The electrical engines are mostly good, but I'm having trouble when using them with lasers (for crafting buildcraft gates). I can't get the laser to stop stuttering, including when I followed the advice on this FTB page regarding Electrical Engines and lasers.
    http://ftbwiki.org/Laser

It sure demonstrates how hard it is to know where to draw the line on mods. I don't want to do anything overpowered and unbalanced, but I don't know most of the mods well enough to know when they are that.