Posts by xenoflot

So judging from above can it be said that solar panels work fine in smp? But machines dont?
    because if thats the case I will update the server now and people can keep their power but test the new stuff while we wait :p I assume theres no config changes or item id changes?

I installed on mah bukkit this evening. Didn't test the machines because I'm happy with the overclockers. I did try one of each compact solar, just stuck it directly on top of the appropriately sized storage unit, and the unit started filling up as expected.

You'll want to check the block IDs on your current system and update if necessary after you upgrade. I had to shuffle a lot of IDs around to get everything working on my 1.0.0 server and when we upgraded to 1.1, all the LV solars became blocks from another mod. I doubt they've changed but I would check your system to be sure.

I have built once a powerplant with 1600 wind gens and powerlines on a server, using the energy transfer system i posted above. (solar panels are HV array for testing)
    If you have a server i can join i could build it again :P

haha thanks but no. I'm not sure that my server could handle the lag of 1600 wind gens :) It's only a core2duo with 2G RAM.

... unless of course you weren't talking to me...

The realistic way is a city have a powerplant, and distribute energy to all people living in it. Since when everyone have generators to power your stuff in RL?

You're correct for a situation in which resources are finite and you're not building stuff for the fun of building!

Your point about a town scenario where people are on small plots does make sense though. I run a private server with only 5 of us so worldguard and political boundaries are not necessary :)

Small reality check, who will be consuming your power and how will they be consuming it? Minecraft doesn't actually have lights, vacuum cleaners and pool filters that need power like a real town would. I think it's a lovely idea but I fear that you may be wasting plenty of resources and effort to run power to a house that no one lives in. If it's providing power to other players on your server, wouldn't they rather make their own power?

> I got a mass fab running, nuclear plant humming, clad in a quantum suit and nowhere to go!

I hit that stage. Had 5 HV solars and 16 recyclers feeding a UU machine. When I upgraded my server to 1.1 I deliberately pruned away the chunks that contained my house and I'm playing vanilla-ish now. After 2 nights I have a couple of macerators and a small nuke (it's disappointing how quickly you can get to the end game in IC2) but that's as far as I'm going. Now I'm going to set myself about caving with picks and making xp grinders and what.

The other benefit is that you can, with some digging, set all this up at your underground lair next to your xp grinder where solar is impractical.

I played for about an hour with this tonight including trying to incorporate a sticky piston to move the water mill to alternate the input/output from the bottom facing but the rotten thing refused to budge! Haven't played with retrievers yet so didn't think to use them. Running a small nuke now :) 40 EU/t at eff2 :)

You can whine all day long about how expensive overclockers are, but for a nice midway balance of speed and power consumption, they are GREAT.

FYI it's not so much overclockers being expensive as it is Adv. Machines being way OP...

Nice to see an IC2 dev weighing in on the discussion! I've not yet upgraded to 1.64 so can't comment on the OC's but I have really enjoyed having the AdvMachs around. I agree with Kane that the expanded output hopper on the AM's is possibly the best feature.

Interesting that you feel that the machines are overpowered. Is that the speed for the power consumption? The expanded output hoppers? Some other factor?
    Is this the general consensus amongst the IC2 team? Do they also feel that the Induction Furnace is overpowered and regret adding it?

Cheers

Watch the livestream recording and then you know :D

Anyway, will update this ... i dont even know what i should call it anymore... to 1.1 once the chest mod im using is out and all is SMP.
    Ill be giving out a list with addons and my config files, so wont have conflicts, and of course this ... ah ya thing... for your enjoyment.

Im open for ideas right now, especially when it comes to the offices, no idea what i should put in em.

Once you're on 1.1, spawn a whole bunch of villagers to wander around! I don't think you can specify the type of villager to spawn which is a shame. It'd be nice to spawn lab-coated librarians down in the vaults and other types in the offices :)

Howdy,

I love the charging bench idea and have one in my workshop. I'd like to suggest a few tweaks from having used it for a few weeks now. I haven't tried the 1.64 update yet as my world is still 1.0 so if my issues have been addressed, then I'll shut up :)

1. Shift-click sends your items to the crystal slot rather than the charging area
    2. Internal charge buffer seems tiny. The red "zap" symbol flashes erratically when I put in a depleted item which gives the impression that it is constantly seeking new EU packets from the attached MFSU
    3. I'd like to see a higher charge rate.
    4. Can items charge concurrently? At the moment they charge sequentially.

Perhaps there's room for an advanced charging bench that's built with several lapotrons that holds several million EU and will quick-charge several items concurrently?

Again, I love your work and very much appreciate the effort you put into this mod!
    Xeno

Reality check on reactor timings, please. I calculate the duty cycle of a pulsed reactor thusly:

1. Take the number of seconds in Generation Time
    2. Take the number of seconds in Cooldown Time
    3. Divide the cooldown by the generation

So in the linked example, 23 seconds generation (boom), 11m 7s cooldown.
    667 seconds divided by 23 seconds = 28.69 seconds or 1 second in 30 to keep the heat under control.

Is this the correct method? I don't wish to be giving bad advice.

Example 1: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1j10101001501521s1r11r10

I'm not sure about the reactor planner that you're using. I re-did your design in the usual one, here: http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1m10101001501521s1r11r10 and it gives slightly different numbers.* The usual also provides a bunch of helpful nuggets of info.

So this is going to give you 1180 EU/t instantaneous but require a lot of downtime to stop it going boom. By my calculations, you can only run this baby for 1 second in 30 or it'll go boom. It certainly doesn't look like the kind of design that'll run at 50% (compare the uranium vs components ration in the one in my signature). You may also care to install the themometer mod though I think you need to seriously reconsider the design.

One final note, if you're running on SMP then be careful with network lag as it can cause problems. I once set up 8 reactors running on a 1:17 duty cycle. Rock solid in single player testing but had two melt downs before I said stuff it and went to a 50% design :)

*Taking a closer look at that planner, it lists 31 external cooling which is a physical impossibility. Only the spaces in a 3x3 grid around the actual reactor core are counted for cooling. In a +4 chamber reactor, you thus have 22 water blocks present, not 31. Also the EU/t is dramatically different. I suggest you use the one on TalonFire :)

edit: correct link, thanks!