Posts by xenoflot

From the original wiki text, it increases the EU/Op (cost) by X% and reduces the Time/Op (time) by X%. It further suggests that there is a hard limit of 1 op/t. I can't tell from the wording if the listed 8000EU/t is also a limit or a consequence of the 1 op/t.

I was basing my rules of thumb on the listed 8000EU/t limit which in retrospect may have been a poor choice. I should calculate it to the point where an operation takes only a single tick.

So we need to establish how long an operation currently takes. Then we stack the OCs and the point where the op drops below 1 tick is the limit. Of course this is tricky since different materials take different lengths of time to process.

Oy vey. Time to get the stopwatch and do a little testing.

Did you copy the .minecraft client folder from a working PC to the dodgy one? That will guarantee a working build. The rest we can assume to be environmental.
    Any differences in OS?
    When I copy my client build from my Windows PC to my Mac, black screen every time so I gave up running it on the mac.

Yeah, I noticed some discrepancies with the overclocker section of the wiki last night so I took a look then did some maths.
    Apparently only 16 overclockers are needed to max a Macerator [3689 EU/t], 13 for a furnace [1351 EU/t] and 10 for a recycler [109 EU/t]. Anything after that and you're just paying more for the same kebab, also the "hard limit" is actually 32, since anything over 32 would be considered 32. (though things start getting out of hand past 18 overclockers)

I wrote that section of the wiki. Maths is not my best subject so if you have some corrections, please explain how you got to them and I'll update it.

As RawCode said, those errors are not errors. That's just IC2 looking for other addons and reporting that it cannot find them. Your crash is not related to these.

Please provide more information on how and when you're getting a crash.
    Is it the server that's crashing or the client?
    Is it when you craft something? If so , what?
    Is it when you place a block? If so, what?
    Bukkit or vanilla?
    What versions of ModloaderMP and Forge?
    Have you checked that the config files on client and server are matching?

etc

Enchantments before the removal where like placebos, they where they but didnt do a thing.

Au contraire, baby! In my 1.64 SMP world I have a Silk Touch diamond drill and a Fortune II diamond drill and they definitely work as advertised.

That said, only my inner munchkin will miss having those enchantments. The diamond drill is already about as fast as an Eff2 enchantment and is Unbreakable X+

I had hoped that by ganging 4 water mills I would overcome that. I'm guessing that does not? Is there a number of watermills where they will give accurate readings?

Also, my questions regarding the official output of a watermill and the "this no longer works" comments on the wiki remain unanswered. Can you fill me in on those?

SCIENCE!

Consider also that the wiki states there's a hard limit of "about 8000EU/t" so my maths say that although you may be able to power more than 20 OCs, they won't provide any benefit.
    Kind of like paying $10,000 for a kebab. The man will happily take your money but it doesn't get you any more kebab than you would've gotten for $7.

Hi folks,

In researching to answer another member's question, I loaded my SSP 1.7.1 test world and set up 4 water mills, surrounded them with 25 water blocks each and piped them to a batbox with tin cable.

Using the EU meter is giving some really odd results like 0.02 EU/t over 14000 ticks. If I spam-click once a second I'm getting numbers like 60EU/t then 6EU/t then two lots of negative numbers like -69EU/t over ~4700 ticks.

I'm reasoning that since the watermill is putting out such small amounts, it needs to save up for several ticks until it can spit out a packet with an whole number of EU. However the results are mystifying. I left the EU meter counting while I typed the post and got 0.32 EU/t over ~20,000 ticks. I had hoped that such a long period would average out the pulsing output but I dunno.

Would someone please help me understand how to calculate the effectiveness of watermills? Perhaps the exact number of EU/t/waterblock? Also is the EU reader bugged?

---

Also, the wiki states that water towers are "no longer working" but doesn't explain the manner in which they are no longer working. Anyone know what's going on there?

Cheers,

Well firstly, your numbers are a bit out :) 20*60*10 = 12,000 not 120,000! The wiki states that a full minecraft day will net you about 13050 EU.

In the name of science and being a nice guy, I loaded my 1.7.1 test world and set up 4 water mills, surrounded them with 27 water blocks and piped them to a batbox with tin cable. Using the EU meter is giving some really odd results like 0.02 EU/t over 14000 ticks. If I spam-click once a second I'm getting numbers like 60EU/t then 6EU/t then two lots of negative numbers! So I have no idea what the heck is going on there.

OK, I left the EU meter counting while I typed this post. 0.32 EU/t over ~20,000 ticks. huh?

The wiki goes on to suggest that water towers are "no longer working" but doesn't explain the manner in which they are no longer working.

I agree that water mills are cheaper and easier to get out there but the trade off is space and messing about with water buckets. You can easily cover the roof of your bunker with solar cells or find a nice stretch of desert and lay out a few hundred solars. To get a similar output from the watermills requires digging a bunch of holes then doing a lot of jumping around with buckets back and forth from your infinite spring.

There is a group that feels that solar are overpowered since they can't generate less than 1EU/t apparently. I guess the IC2 team feel similarly since a recent update switched them to requiring circuits instead of copper cable and also set that they didn't work during rain.

My problem is there isn't a middle ground in unattended energy production between the microvolt range (solar/water/wind) and the nuclear reactor. The generator and geotherm are both quite labour intensive and require regular feeding; something for which IC2 makes no provision. I did have a lot of fun setting up a MineFactory tree farm with RP2 taking the wood to IC2 furnaces and then to generators. Worked an absolute treat but sadly lagged out my SMP world for the other players so I had to can it :(

I've made the following comparisons-
    over the coarse of a 20 minute day, solar energy runs for 10 minutes. At 1 EU a tick, that works out to 20(ticks in a second)*60(seconds in a minute)*10, or 120000 eu a day, not taking into account the weather (raining? storm? sucks to be you).
    over the coarse of a 20 minute day, water mill energy runs for 20 minutes. From 1 generator, you get 2 mills. Hands free, and with water in 25/27 possible locations, you have 0.25 eu a tick, working out to be 0.25*20*60*20, or 60000. But wait, you have another generator. Now, you're at 120000 eu a day, equal to that of solar, but without the awful weather problems. They are also stupidly cheap, compared to solar generators- 6 planks worth of wood compared to 2 circuits (a pain in the ass), 3 coal, and 3 glass. Who thought that was even remotely comparable?
    Finally, you have wind power, which seems a lot more finicky than solar, but with potentially higher output. They seem like a complimentary power, that you add in addition to something else. Providing a boost to a steady stream of energy, and when they are generating sub optimally aren't going to screw you over. Is there somebody who has worked this out? I'd love to see how you/they have done it.

If I were to put all of my eggs in one basket, that basket would almost definitely be water power. But since the online guide suggests solar, I have 45 solar generators that I wish were water generators (an extra 90 water generators would nicely compliment my approximately 250 water generators already in place).

... it never occurred to me to use IC2 in a mob grinder. I build a mahoosive mobavator with deadfall when all I really needed was a bank of MFSU and a tesla coil...

> also i wanted to point
    out that i'm trying to run a single mascerator with the theoretical max
    of 20 overclocker upgrades (thats why i made this)

20 OCs want 3325 EU per operation. You need at least 1 Energy Storage Upgrade since the Macerator's internal storage is only 625 EU.
    You can supply the 3325/tick a couple of ways. Have a bank of 7 MFSU supplying 512EU/t power over a single glass fibre cable.

In theory you could have a couple of backward HV transformers between the MFSU and the Macerator but I'm not sure if they'll support 3 transformer upgrades and run off EV. That needs testing :) Still, that's not really a practical suggestion. You'd still need a bunch of MFSU to feed the transformer to make EV.

8-tracks never made it big in Australia. I was a teen in the 80s and by then the CD had appeared and was getting popular. I still have a few dozen vinyls in a cupboard somewhere though :)

After the second crater I said "blow this, I'm avoiding reactors'", set up ten MineFactory treefarms feeding 2 electrofurnaces which in turn fed a bank of generators. That worked a treat but my remote players first then me too, kept lagging out :( So now I'm back to a single HV compact solar :(

Agreed. This is a building game; building is good!

Toggle latch is probably a better way. My brain hurts trying to figure out logic gates. No idea how I passed that subject at university.

As to the Mass Fabricator idea... to ensure your mass fab doesn't consume any power until your workshop batteries are full, you could put a splitter cable inline with the cable that feeds the massfab and use the MFSU full signal (and an inverter probably) to allow excess current to flow to the massfab.

As to building complex things, definitely a lot of fun. Problem I've found though is that playing on SMP, even though I host the server on my LAN, things break more than I suspect they do in SSP. E.g. I made a bucket CARUC with rp2 deployers and filters. It worked just fine for an hour or two when I was online but I logged, slept and logged back in to a crater :( So sometimes complexity can be a bad thing :)

I haven't upgraded to 1.70 yet but if the MFSU act as advertised, that is they can emit a redstone signal when full, it will be simple to have a self monitoring reactor.

An XOR tile takes input from the MFSU and a slow (like, 5 minute) timer. A repeater then works as a pulse lengthener.
    The MFSU will signal when full. The XOR will pass that signal on to the reactor, shutting it down.
    The timer will send a pulse every 5 mins or whatever you set. That pulse will set both inputs high on the XOR so the output will go low.
    The pulse is too short for the reactor to restart so the lengthener is needed. Only needs a 1/2 second or so though.
    The reactor then fires up and starts making power.
    If the MFSU is still full, the signal is still high and now the timer is in it's long wait, the reactor is shut down again.
    If however the MFSU is needing a top up, the signal is low, the reactor keeps running until it's full.

This method needs only a couple of RP2 parts and wastes only a couple of seconds of uranium every 5 mins or whatever you set the timer to. You can probably safely set it to hourly if you have several MFSU supplying your workshop.