Posts by raGan

I made a new world recently, and found I actually was continually short on copper, because I always mine way down near layer 10-15.

Just like that. When i started using miners, i suddenly had too much copper, but then i took an arr but then i built reactor. I think if you have too much resources, you are expanding your machinery too slowly.

Wanna bet? input, as just measured a bit ago: input: 70 EU/t. energy output at the other end, around 65 EU/t. That's total loss after the conversion to EV and back to HV process. From there it gets distributed around my base.

It's quite clear now. When sending 70EU/t, one EV packet is sent every 30ticks. You are not losing 3-5 EU per one packet, but per one tick. 65 out of 70 means you are losing about 7-8% of your input. 7-8% of 2048EU packet is 143-163EU. But as i stated above, only about 60EU per packet is lost during EV transmission, which is only about 3%, that means you must have greater loss somewhere else. Quite a big loss for that short distance.

If you are really a newbie, i suggest playing singleplayer a little. When you get more familiar with basics (recipes, farming, getting resources), it will be easier for you to fit in. If you are thinking about playing with friends from the beginning, i see no problem with that.
    As a complete newbie, you may give some people hard time helping you with everything. Almost everything if not everything can be found at www.minecraftwiki.net.
    Enjoy awesome game.

"when the adjacent MFE Unit or MFS Unit"
    There is no need for MFE, MFS to point at it. It's purpose is to avoid losing energy when generator is running but Storage is full. It will instantly grab some of its energy to create room for another coming from that generator. On the other hand, when you are using too much energy and you drain your MFE completely, it will immidiately provide energy from charged cells to resupply adjacent empty MFE, which allows you to continue using it instantly after depleting. It basically increases your MFE/MFS storage level at the cost of some EU(10%).

right now it's making ~75EU/t at the end reciving point. The source is 20 wind mills and 8 solar panels* on the top of the world.
    They go through a LV, MV and HV transformers (tried using just HV, works in single player, fails in SMP) then back to the ground (70-80 blocks or so) to a HV transformer where it steps down from EV to HV and feeds a few sources from there. Right now it's a 3 way split to a MFSU, a MFE and the mass fab. In general just enough go to the MFSU and MFE to top them off and the rest goes to the mass fab.

*used to be on the roof but i'm slowly tying everything together to one power grid

First thing is - you can't be losing 3-5 EU per 2048EU packet on 70-80 block long way. Exact packet loss for 3x Ins. HV cable is 56-64EU per packet when travelling such distance.
    You may as well consider using LV long distance cable setup, which can handle 128EU/t (your generators can make max 88EU/t) and loses up to 0%( :thumbup: ) EU. You won't need those 2 HVTs and MVT, so you can use them at more appropriate places.
    Setup looks like this: :Wind Mill::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::LV-Transformer::Cable::Cable::Cable::Cable::MFS-Unit:
    - not that expensive (1.2 copper per block of setup +some rubber and wood)(also you don't need diamonds)
    - you may argue that 84-96 copper bars is too much, but using diamonds, iron, redstone and other rare stuff is worse in my opinion. Everyone has loads of copper(not sure but i do).
    - loseless !

Nightdagger is right.. It is also important how much power your reactor can gain from single cell. By default, each cell can produce 2M EU. If you are short on uranium, efficiency is what you are looking for.
    Efficiency 3 example. http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…=1k10101001501521s1r11r10
    It still has ~75 effective EU/t and is not that expensive. It can be probably made cheaper but i made it quickly now.
    Edit: i see there is no need for my post anymore :D

I'm running a much longer EV system; with around 32 eU/p lost out of 2048eU/p the ~1.5% loss rate of 3 rubber insulated HV cable really beats the cost of rewiring it with glass (esp since it's temporary). Now, for powering a remote quad mining rig I'm finding that a string of LVTFs and copper wire quite managable; though in the next mining phase I think I'll have the power strip inside, rather than along, the ceiling. That got annoying fast.

Glass fibre is there for short HV wires and perfectionists. But still, 1.5% of 100M EU is 1,5M EU which may sometimes be just enough to spare 10 diamonds to make that damn glass fibre. Depends on how much you are going to use that particular line.

I set up a small farm of 9 windmills at height level 127. Everything works fine.... until i go away from windmills. While i can hear them, it's OK, but when i can't hear them, my FPS drops to 10(i get 50FPS avg.), huge lag spikes appear and sound is using 30-50% of my CPU (According to F3 pie graph). It never happened before because i was never using windmills.
    Does/Did anyone have similar/same problem ? Possible causes ? Solutions ?

Alblaka staated in older thread that it sould be fixed in 1.3. Was it fixed ?

I wasn't saying you can only connect 128EU/p 'voltage' to a copper/LVTF line (32EU/p is what's actually transferred, anyway)... rather, I was saying that 128EU/t is the maximum throughput such a connection can transmit, due to the way the TFs work. For example, if you have 200EU/t worth of power generation hooked up to a long copper/LVTF line and place an infinite-load device (like storage or massfab) at the end, that end device will only get 128 EU/t total (in 32EU packets).

You are right... I actually noticed it after finishing my post, so i edited it. You were right in first thing too... I just failed to see few details(3AM - too much).
    First i thought LVT is able to convert more 128EU packets to 32EU packets in one tick. When i tried it ingame, i found out that it actually can't. It is, however, serving good purpose because LV line is not that overpowered after all.

Hah, i am not so sure myself now that i read your post again. But either way, if one is using MFE's or MFSU's transforming it to LV and then transferring it using transformer hax (yeah, it's exploiting IC2's voltage rather than current mechanics and the transformers ability to turn one large packet into several small ones or several small ones into a large one.)

But meh, i actually prefer to just stay out of it. Just saying because this discussion about using LV lines to transmit 128 EU/t really bothers me. It's not intended behavior and should be patched. Then there would be no discussion about LV vs EV.

EDIT: And once again, i am probably making zero sense.

I don't think it's a hax. Transformers work well now and LV wiring has serious issue. Limit of 128EU/t without being expensive (loseless but more expensive than EV(with very long wiring)) is punishing enough. You cannot connect LV line to your 128+EU/t reactor, since it will cause energy loss due to bottlenecking. It would becone overpowered if transformers were able to process more bigger packets in single tick. That would make it possible to transfer higher EU/t using LV setup, which would make it even more effective and i think i would completely stop using EV lines.

So.... in some cases, there is really no discussion about it - LV can't process more than 128EU/t. Thats it. If you are generating higher current, you should definitely use EV. (well.. not that straight, but i'm too lazy to write about it right now)