Posts by Bluehorazon

Ok, So this is fully possible, and considering there is no reason the blocks have to show up as lasers, Im pretty sure you could just place the around the luminator, two in each direction, so as to give the illusion of light level 17 (except for occlusion ofc)

Not that easy. Since this would limit this blocks and the luminator of course.

Since the maximum light level is 15 creating blocks a little bit away from the luminator (one block) would only increase the range by 2 compared to torches (which have a light level of 14) and by one compared to torch-like luminators. So to increase the range by one block you will limit the usage of the luminator to spots which actually have the place to create this "phantom-blocks" (or you do a lot of checking since you have to check permanently if there is space to place a phantom-block).

With the new Construction-Foam-Cables it should be easy to produce a electrical torch with the value of 15, which makes it a bit better than a normal torch while consuming a bit of EU.

http://www.mytoolstore.de/imag…enstuhl/4007123031405.jpg

Should look like this or similar, since it will hide the cable in the middle of the foam.

Actually the shielding depends on the reactor. A basic MarkII will not need as much Shielding as a CASUC (well since a MarkII should never explode you might also ignore the shielding). For a Casuc I would advice 3 or even 4 layers.

Pffff...

Just ignore the shielding and pretend that you constructed a totally save reactor. But if you really want shielding it is also a cheap solution to use Construction Foam, its not the best, but it's cheap. And you should use Construction-Foamed Cables, this also increases the shielding.

Well... I use a Toggle Latch (or RS Latch... can't remember), a Not-Gate and an OR Gate and I could even get rid of the Not-Gate.

The only thing you need is a row of MFSU (at least two), more are better (well 3 are normally more than enough, but since you start production after one is full and stop after the other one is full a third buffer-MFSU would make sense (wenn since your Workshop might be a bit away from your reactor there is probably a Storage-Unit in between anyway).

A row of MFSU should fill from the last to the first. And it should empty from the first to the last. So I guess my post above is just the wrong way around, but it should not be hard to switch it. If the first MFSU is full it should stop production and if the last is empty it should start again.

And it is actually fun to create such things. The more complex such things are the more fun it is. If you have a running system it's somehow boring, normally improving your systems is much more fun than having a working solution :P

Unless you're creating enough scrap for all 24 Mass-Fabs, you know you can just send all the EU into one Mass Fabricator, right?

It's strange that there are so many people not getting the function of IC2-Cables. IC2-Cables don't have a EU/t limit, you could transmit Millions of EU/t through a copper-cable (well... would be hard to achieve, but in theory it is possible), since the only limit is the size of one paket. Knowing this greatly simplifies many designs. With 5 Casucs you can produce a piece of UUM in about one second :P (if you have enough scrap).

Even if charcoal its a material that is easily made, its still something that need a process to get it, From planting/looking for trees, to chopping them, to smelt the log in a furnace.

A manned water mill only needs a bucket of water and 3 water source blocks for unlimited refilling without too much effort.

So my point still stands, a watermill its one of the good early game energy sources in IC2. Generator is too, but its more for mid game than for early.

So, just a bit easy math. Let's take a 3 second-cycle to fill a bucket with water and placing it in the watermills. To reach the Generator you need to fill 5 Watermills. Each Watermill eats 5 Buckets so you need to fill 25 Buckets. This is 75 Seconds. After filling them all you have 50 Seconds until the first watermill needs buckets again.

For the Generator you need 72 pieces of wood, let's say 75 since you need some start-charcoal. This is about 15 Trees. Chopping down a tree takes you about 15 seconds (you should not have a chainsaw). And I guess you need about 5 seconds to run to the next tree. So you need about 5 mins to gather enough charcoal. The creation of charcoal does not need time, since you do this while a stack of charcoal is inside the generator. So you have 5mins of work (maybe 6 for filling the furnace) and after this 6mins your generator runs for 21 mins. So you need about 28% of your Generator-Cycle to produce the fuel, while you need about 62,5% of your cycle to fill the watergens. I guess the Generator is superior to the watermill.

Large amounts of Regular Generators cause amazingly painful lag as well.

Since this is true for Watermills too, it is actually a advantage of the Generator since you could use more of them. And as we are at the point of manual usage you would not reach a number high enough to cause lags.

yea, dedicated 512 EU/t line did the trick, I understand now that my "suggestion" shouldn't be posted, it took me some time redesigning nuclear ice supplier and it works even better than it was. If someone is interested I could give instructions how to build supplier for reactors producing 1000+ EU/t 100% safe and without cooldown stops.

Hmm... this would still mean that you consume over 1.000 EU/t for compressing Ice. In this case there is not much left from the Produktion of the Generator :P

Well, I doubt that they are good early generators. Since they require a lot of user-input and they have a hard to defeat competitor, the normal generator. A normal generator is in every point superior to the water-mill.

The Generator needs feeding every 21 Mins, the Water-Gen every 2 Mins.
    The Generator produces 10 EU/t the two watermills you get only 4 EU/t.

Since it is so easy to feed the Generator Charcoal which is freely avaible the watermill is totally inferior to the generator.

Al may change it still, but he does like his RP2 automation

Not sure about this. I haven't found a quote of him saying this. RP automation in regards of macerators etc. is cool. But like nuclear generators automation sometimes defeats the purpose of something they implemented for a reason. In the case of nuclear generators automation makes the cool GUI and fancy mechanism of the generator worthless since it is a lot easier to just pump buckets or ice into it... and it is a lot cheaper. I'm not sure if I would like this.

I know Al said that watermills are the last generator that needs a rework... well I guess this is a bit doublesided, since it could mean that it is the last one he hasn't done so far or that he is confident with how they work and don't want to touch them in near future. Unmanned mode actually works quite good. It is balanced and you could build cool water-towers or fountains with watergens inside. No idea how they should produce power this way, but it's industrial craft, not reality. But manned mode is somehow broken, it is almost useless without automation and totally OP with, so I would rather like to have it removed, we don't have a manned mode for solars either (how about placing some glowstone inside to let them produce more energy and this even in darkness... would not make sense either). I just think a Generator like Water, Wind or Solar just don't need a mode were it eats fuel to provide power.

In 1.2. it is possible to change biomes via the Terraformer. Al already noticed this in some of the 1.2. threads.

And personally I like the idea. Solars are not the specific, since they already work with biomes since they don't like rain. But the windmill could use this data, but again the question is if correct biomes exist. A Mountain Biome does not have more wind than a flat biome, it is just easier to place the windmills. I don't know if coastel biomes exist, since they would have a bit more wind to use. Also Biomes next to mountains should have a bit more wind and of course oceans. But swamp, desert and grassland would be mainly the same.

Well you cant really blame al for the watermill, since water blocks in minecraft are the most weird thing ever.

Actually the only thing I would really like is a quick fix for the efficiency of a manned watermill. They are just too good and totally useless if you don't have means of automation. A Bucket of Water gives 1.000 EU which is indeed fine, but since the watermills produces 2 EU/t it only produces energy for 25 Seconds. I would just let it produce 1 EU/t in manned mode, which would not make a difference if you just dump a bucket inside sometimes (since you most likely won't do this always and if it produces 1 EU/t and I guess it stores up to 5 buckets you are free to ignore it for about 4 Mins.

There are some suggestions about watermills already. I don't know what method would be the best, but I would like them to behave like normal watermills. The Block has a direction with input and output side. Next to the output there needs to be a source-block (maybe also a none-sourceblock but if it's easier to only check for source-blocks it should do the trick) and if this is true flowing water is created at the output. If the watermill get's a redstone-signal it will shut the gates, so you are also able to use it as flood-gate. Maybe additional water-sources above the initial source could increase the efficiency, but no idea how easy this is, if it creates trouble it might be better to ignore it. It should be obvious that the windmill does not function if the output faces upwards :P

But I don't want to bother Al with such things. Watermills work and they are quite fine in regards to balance if you use them in unmanned mode. Maybe the best thing is to drop manned mode completly, since it is too strong with some automation.

Jepp, basically. But based on your timer you could use some more (to be able to send a new bucket before the old one is back. In the most ideal case you have 2 buckets per windmill, one wating in the deployer, one sitting in the windmill, waiting for being emptied. But since the watermills only consume a bucket every 50seconds it is quite easy to fill them as long as the way to the windmill isn't longer than 50secs, which is quite a long way. You should be able to use a lot more watermills if you make the way shorter, like this:

:Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::LV-Transformer::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre:

The glass-fibres are the point in your system, where you place Filter and Retriever (and of course the deployer). If you have tubes going in two directions you would save some distance. You could make it even more extreme by using a square instead of a line. But most people just use a long line with deployer, filter and retriever at the end, which limits the amount of watermills.

Well Lava produces 80.000 EU for every piece of Tin. Since although Lava isn't renewable the only thing that needs large-scale Energy-production is a mass-fab which you could easily place in the nether, which would mean almost endless amounts of lava. You will need some Ice for water, since you need a cobble-gen to produce scrap there (well... Netherrack-Quarry should work in theory, but it hits lava too easy).

I found on the net only the exact spawn rate for diamond:

DIAMOND: 0.1276% of stone from levels 2-16.

Someone has the other spawn rates?

Below row 14, Redstone-Ore can be found in 1.025% of stone.
    From levels 2-28, gold ore's occurrence underground is at 0.1437%.
    Ironis found in approximately 0.72% of stone from rows 2-61.
    coal ore comprises about 1.25% of all stone, regardless of altitude.
    Lapis is a bit tricky, but I guess you get it right.

Diamond is wrong, the amount is right, but only below 12 now, but I'm not quite sure about this one. Checked it in my world an no Diamond at 15 and 16 for sure, some at 13 my result in veins starting at 12 and expanding into 13. But the amount is correct and since you don't need diamonds for generators it doesn't matter either.

So since this is only one part, you need to value something different too. The requirements for over purposes. So just give things a value based on uses and frequency in which you find them.

We could be sure to widely ignore the need of coal, glass and rubber, since this are all ressources avaible to create extend, so they should only be weighted slightly. So let's just base Iron at 1. Copper should be 0,3 and Tin maybe 0,7. Redstone should be 0,5, since it is avaible quite easy mining a bit deeper isn't something that costs you anything. Lapis and Glowstone should be valued with 1 too. Coal and Rubber should just get 0,1 since they so incredible easy to get.

So basically a Windmill is 12 pieces of Iron, 2 Redstone, 4 Tin and a cable. Based on this evaluation it would be 12 + 1 + 2,8 + 0,25 (ignoring the furnace...). So it would get a score of 16,05. The watermill is just a halfed generator. So it is the windmill -4 Iron and you get two, which would be 6,025.

Your Windmills EU/t is horribly wrong. A windmill placed as high as possible (126, since if you place it at 128 and use two cables to connect it you land at 126) produces about 1,5 EU/t on average. I think if you choose a stormy region you could get a steady 2 EU/t, but since your windmill will most likely break not many people will do this. About 40.000 EU per day is the maximum you could expect from a windmill on regular basis. A normal Windmill placed at 80 (it will never break) produces 19.500 EU/d which should be around 0,8 EU/t. This is still better as the solars, but quite on par with the unmanned watermill. You should take this number for a "normal" windmill.

You only need 8 retrievers 8 filters 8 deployers, a good amount of RP tubing, tin cable,+128 Buckets and 128 Watermills <--- because 16 Watermills for 1 retriever/deployer seems to work rather smoothly.

This will generate a steady 256eu/t

I've already made this setup in Creative and it worked like a charm maby i can get you some Screenshots ;)

If you use some backup buckets you could also go higher with the amount watermills. And you need to get away from the row of watermills. Place the watermills in a 5x5 area above the retriever, so that the buckets don't need as long to reach far away watermills.

hm could possibly work have not tried it like that yet all it would come down to is if the logistic pipes could keep up with it if not then yo uwould have to do a redstone system

They should be able to do this. Normal BC-Pipes can easily pump enough Ice into the system, and if you place Lava underneath the reactor the dropping ice-blocks won't cause that much lag (since they are dropping out even if using a rerouting, they aren't that clever as tubes in regards to this).

But I have no doubt that logistic-pipes should be able to do this. But they might not be necessary since even normal BC-Pipes are cabable of stuffing Ice into a reactor. With EE it should be easy to use stone-engines on wood-pipes to pull full stacks out of the chest.

tesla shoud deal extreme damage scaled with range.

~10 block minor "warning" damage, but at closer range much more dedly - shoud instantly kill at 5 range, currently due HV cables mechanic HV cables does more damage then tesla and cost nearly nothing.

Ehm... HV-Cables cost you at least an MFSU to emit it (theoretically you could use a HV-Transformer powered by many MFE etc.).

Oh and a Tesla-Coil wasted less energy than HV-Cables. They lose 1 EU every block, since the Tesla has 4 range you need 9 Blocks HV which means a loss of 9 EU/t, while the tesla-coil uses 2 EU/t, the Tesla-Coil needs to fire every 35 seconds to use as much energy as the HV-Cables.

1:I want the reactor thing to be a good external cooler, but also a way to use heat to produce extra energy. Reactor cooling/energy producing thing can be even more expensive if needed (64 plates?)
    2:Human body uses food to produce energy, 40% of it is used 60% is wasted by producing heat, and that heat is released to environment [at least most part, some is used to keep us warmed].

Well under most circumstances (under about 15°C) we are not able to produce enough heat to keep ourself warm, even with a good amount of isolation. Since this armor would be the same as running around naked (since it needs to be the total opposite of isolating) it would easily suck any energy out of poor steve. Try running around naked with 15°C outside, you have two options, burning more stuff to keep you warm, or freezing if you don't do this.

The heat we produce is not wasted. We need it to keep our temperature over 35°C (normally in a range from 36,5°C and 37,5°). And we don't want to release it to the outside, since this would increase the amount of energy that we need to keep ourself warm. It is highly questionable that Steve is properly equipped for tundra or snow biomes, increasing his temperature loss even more is not something he should do.

This armor has only slight uses:

If it is cold enough to create a temperature gradient Steve would surely freeze, since this armor doesn't protect him from the low temperature, since it does exactly the opposite.
    If it is hot enough that steve could wear it, like in deserts at day, it would obviously not provide any energy.

HV cables are meant to be small iron parts, one plate would use 1 ref iron
    Gold cables could also be used, since it is a very good conductor (both thermal/electricity)

Use gold-dust in the recipe since it is normally printed on the devices, Gold does not have many uses either.

so small gain?

Well 10% is rather good. Actually it is somehow balanced.

I would change the reactor-thing though. Make it replace a chamber, so that you can't build a 6 Chamber-reactor while using it. I also see the armor a bit problematic, such an armor would cool you down quite fast, not something you want to do.