Posts by Bluehorazon

Since you are now limited to OP Generators and Geothermals.

Use advanced Generator!
    Slag Generator is a very good one, used with wood gassificator + centrifuge, you'll get a pretty impressive amount of energy per wood, + scrap :D (and while farming wood, you'll also collect leaves, sapplings wich you can also use as a way of generating energy, and apple, for food!) ... (it's quite OP with Forestry but ... Forestry is actuall OP in my mind since it replace green generator :/ The better is not to use Forestry, as me ^^) [/quote]

You know that a centrifuge is totally not early-game.

I speak about what I do when I start a new game. And I start with a single generator, since charcoal is incredible cheap. If I happen to find some lava-sees while digging for redstone (which normally happens) I build 1 or 2 Geothermals next... or even 6 if I want fast generation, Geothermals don't cost that much. If I don't happen to find much lava I go for the same amount of generators and build 1-2 Electric furnaces and 1-2 Cokeovens for Charcoal-production.

If I started with the geothermals I try for early Netheraccess and build some Redstone-Engines, a Pump and harvest lots of Cobblestone (well... that one is easy). After this I start collecting some stuff for a world-anchor and make myself a nice netherportal. I also dig very... enthusiastic to find a mining-shaft or a dungeon (the first gives you lots of rails and the second gives you steel). I then start to build BC-Tanks and lots of buckets and try to get a mystcraft-age with crystals. If I get the crystals I build two portals and always fill my geothermals with lava from the nether (still by hand...). I then build a rolling-machine to make Railcraft-Tanks and the stuff for automated-lava-transportation. After this I have endless EU.

When I start with Generators because I can't find enough lava (does not happen that often). I automated them with the coke-ovens and E-Furnaces so that they get automatically feed with charcoal. I also search for Birchwood, since it is the easiest to harvest by hand (Oaks and Pines are sometimes too tall, to harvest without building) I then go for about 25 to 36 (5x5 or 6x6) Birchs, which I repeatedly slaughter to produce charcoal.

Both methods are far more efficient than solars have ever been. Wind was a very good early-game source and water was awesome with redpower-automation. But Geothermals and Generators beat them very easy exspecially since Tree-Farms and Netherpumping supplies you with an endless amount of ressources for these Generators.

Thats where the balance-suggestions come from. Without GregTech you normally start with some renewable sources. Wind was the best option, Solars the worst. Water was somewhere in between, but it was incredible spammy. Also a Generator to recharge batpacks was something that almost everyone had. But after this the renewable sources got very bad in efficiency. Solars are shitty because they are so incredible expensive... and don't work if it is raining or night. Large-Windparks are either inefficient or incredibly spread out... which also makes them look ugly. Water was a good one, since it could be abused with Redpower, but the easy thing would have been keeping the fuel-value of a waterbucket and halfing the EU/t Output to 1. So at the end it always was clever to go back to Generators or Geothermals, but the problem was people had no use for a lot of EU so they kept their early-generators and just increased the number of them.

Gregs does have some of the same issues, since the basic machines are also very cheap in EU-Consumption. The Industrial Centrifuge requires 5 EU/t to run which is hilarious. It really should be MV, since I have never seen an industrial centrifuge working with LV (well I could use one at home if it uses LV).

Well over it's lifespan a black hole will release all the energy it absorbs... which is quite a lot. Unfortunatly their lifespan is very large :P

Most of the other things... well inefficiency would sum it up without all this points :P In Theory you could do a lot, but it does not work that well. And actually putting Atoms, Neutrons and Electrons together is what we do with UUM, although the process is not that scientific.

I see no real need for super-high-tech-stuff as long as their is so much basic industry you could add which is much less complicated. GregTech has a lot of endgame stuff, which might be nice but as a player you want to get started from the beginning.

So what I would like to see is a Multiblock-Watermill that works with flowing water (not standing water) so that you have a fun early-source of energy instead of Lava-abuse in a geothermal or charcoal-abuse in a generator. To make the renewable sources not that abusive put a slot for a turbine inside which needs to be replaced from time to time and create different efficiency. The high-tech-diamond turbine is very durable and has a good efficiency while a copper-turbine breaks fast and creates not that much EU.

This would replace the fire-and-forget mentality of renewable energy but would make it possible again for them to be early-game sources. Since you are now limited to OP Generators and Geothermals.

Diamond Drill + Titanium is approved. Of course with a seperate Config (which will make the Rockcutter cost Titanium too)

I was thinking about the possibility to sum some of the config-options up. Since all the configs might be a bit confusing. I might look through them if there are things that are easy to put into one option. Would be cool to sum it up under GregTech-Soft, GregTech-Medium, GregTech-hard and GregTech-insane. I have no idea if it would be possible to create presets while still giving the option to do all by hand, since it might cause a lot of work for you.

And... shouldn't it be Mining-Drill + Titanium? Would be strange to create a Diamond Drill with a Diamond Drill^^

I actually have a rather small suggestion, which bothers me since... well since I play IC2 basically and with Gregs it is even more proplematic.

Mining Drill vs. Diamond Mining Drill.

Even with normal IC2 the Diamond Mining-Drill was so incredible cheap that almost always when you build a Mining Drill you are instantly updating it to a Diamond Mining Drill. Since the Mining-Drill is now harder to reach this is even more true.

My suggestion is pretty easy. Instead of pumping up the cost for the Mining-Drill make the Diamond Mining Drill more expensive. The normal Mining-Drill had a very nice cost. So revert the normal Mining-Drill back to refined Iron and change the Diamond Mining Drill to something like:

:Mining Pipe:Industrial Diamond::Mining Pipe
    :Refined Iron::Mining Drill::Refined Iron:
    :Electronic Circuit::Energy Crystal::Electronic Circuit:

The Mining-Pipes are just empty spaces, the refined Iron should be Titanium and the Circuits should be advanced circuits. That way you would force people to actually work with the mining-drill instead of instant-upgrading it to a diamond-mining-drill which I never felt was quite right. Also Steel has the problem that you find lots of it in dungeons, so getting an early Mining Drill actually was more luck than work.

Well actually some things changed in minecraft too, which makes it at least a bit easier to port, resulting in fast updates.

But well cpw and LexManos just know what they do which also helps with fast updates and with the FML being seperatly avaible even non-forge Mods could update instantly. I'm not sure why mojang actually does the work of an own API although they could just use forge, since I'm really sure that the guys would not say "No".

The real problem is, that Mohjang combines the Mod-API with their Mod-Distribution-System so well... on the other hand it does not matter Forge exists, it works and an increasing amount of mods use it. So people don't need to wait for an official API.

Anyways it is nice to see FC squirm and where he goes with this will be interesting. I actually liked BTW, but I like my forge mods more, in fact I was very happy to see Aether take forge as it is another of my favorites.

FC already has a working version of BtW for 1.3.1 (since 5th of august)... so I guess this does not seem to trouble him much, actually he hasn't used Modloader much, and was not much dependend on it.

I kinda like the LAN-Mode. Makes playing with only a few people more easy and I guess this could be easily updated to a direct-IP Connection (so there is no need for Tools like Hamachi). But I guess the core of minecraft is still the same... so while most of the bugs only affected SMP they will no affect the whole game :P

Well some points are really valid, while some are not.

Creating new plants is research, but there is no engineering without research... and research has a lot of random effects. If there would be more crops it would make sense to create a "breeding tree" so that you need to breed certain crops to get new ones. But for the limited amount now this would not make much sense.

Some things limit the use of aggriculture greatly... but crop-trampling is none of them.

1. The Seedbags are annoying. The don't show the values once scanned and they don't stack... you need a lot of storages for your seeds. And they are too hard to get. Most plants give seeds without destroying them. You should have a small chance of getting seeds if you harvest plants.

2. Hydration and Fertilization both suck. Methods of messurement are fine, but still this would mean you have to right-click every plant. There should be a visible element or something that gives you a hint. It's ok to baby-sit plants for breeding, but there sometime you actually want to benefit from your plants. That's really easy for sticky-reeds and other simple plants, but things like ferru or aurelia are a pain. Exspecially compared to how easy it is to get the ressources they provide by other means. If it is easier to create Iron/Gold with UUM than by using plants, there is something wrong.

3. The cropnalyzer. I seriously hate it. It's ok that they forgot to implement some kind of energy-storage or an adapter to use it with Bat/Lappacks... but it's annoying that you need everything in your hotbar, since you can't see your inventory. I would prefer a stationary cropnalyzer anytime if it let's me analyze seeds in my inventory.

Balancing issues with ur idea. Currently trade-o-mat (18 wood and 9 iron) and safe (9 wood, 10 iron, 3 cooper, 6 rubber) are totaly blocks nuke. So ur recipe must become cheaper, or this items must be nerfed.

But i not like using one another hard block for it either. Prefer some forcefield, time for tier 4 vanilla force field engineering and nano-fussion things, and albos. But we got crops. So lame and so sad.

Safes and Trado-o-mat don't block nukes.

And BlockIDs should be no issue anymore, but might be also possible with Metadata. But I would still make it a bit easier.

State 1: Iridiumblock

Incredible Blast Resistance, and if hit by a big explosion (Nuke) it turns to state 2

State 2: Damaged Iridiumblock

Still the blast resistance, but can be mined for 1-3 Iridium-Ores (since you need 4 plates, you only get back parts of the ressources, could also drop plates directly). If hit by an explosion it turns to reinforced stone.

State 3: Reinforced Stone

Behaves like it normally does. Could be mined and used in crafting again.

Thats rather simple and should work quite well. If you want to remove Iridium Blocks blow it with a nuke first to weaken it :P

I guess there will be a 1.2.4 soon, since some things still not work as they should.

Because of that, I'm also quite sure that IC2 will need some time... the new updates provide a lot of new stuff for modders and they simply have to adopt to these changes first. I guess the actual IC2-Beta is more or less a playground to figure some things out.

Actually the whole reason behind this is that you can't wear Q-Suit and power your tools. I agree with FenixR that it should be changed to the tools consuming the lappack-power instead of their own, without getting recharged. So this workaround would be fixed and there is no use in changing over to the lappack, but the decision is clearly lappack/batpack or Q-Suit.

Still I would vote for a combined batpack/armor piece. Not that strong, but since the Lappack is an improvement of the Batpack in regards to Energy-Storage why not also make an improvement in regards to protection. Well won't make sense with a Q-Suit since 3 pieces + Lappack gives full armor, but Q-Suit is a bit expensive, and getting one point armor more with a protective batpack would make sense.

indeed, and i'd have it as a monster trap with collection boxes and overflow would go into making scrap for fuel for other generators. depending on which would be more efficient. and i'd make the entire flooring in the trap out of these, so as soon as one died, a new one would appear to take his place on the treadmill.

The problem is, the mobs would run around randomly, which will produce energy, but they won't die by this. And since they will most likely not move in the same direction, they won't move anything. The wheel with the hamster will only rotate if you have a single hamster, with two inside running in different directions the only thing you get is a funny youtube-video.

So without a bait that keeps the mobs in one direction it normally would not even produce energy at all, and the question is still if treadmills connect. So does a treadmill attached to another treadmill needs to move in the same direction? If yes, then you will have to add all movement on top of all connected treadmills, to get the direction they are moving... quite tricky.

And they only provide energy if the objects they carry aren't moving (from an outside view). Imagine again the hamster in the wheel. The wheel does only produce power if the hamster is in a fixed position and the wheel is turning. If the hamster moves along the wheel it will produce power, but it will slow down (since the hamster is not able to move the wheel in this situation). If the hamster just runs circles inside the wheel then there is no power.

So you could use the mobs to power treadmills, which are able to move items along (the items move in the opposite direction the mobs are moving). But you can't move the mobs which are standing on the treadmills.

Uninsulated cable and Tesla coils both have some way to detect players and mobs that are several blocks away. I'm sure that code could be used and can probably trigger any result be it direct damage or an affliction.

As to snow blocks vs sand, I understand that all blocks have a hardness setting which is what makes dirt easier to break than stone or obsidian. Snow is just a block that only has a small hitblock. I expect it's hardness is very slow. I wouldn't suggest that fallout blocks are as easy to remove as snow but you don't want it too difficult. The main thing I was going for though was the look. I think a greeny-brown snow-like layer over almost everything in a radius 10 blocks greater than the crater would look fantastic :)

The difference in the behavior of snow and sand is that sand isn't destroyed if you destroy the block underneath, it just falls down and Fallout should do the same. I'm not sure how far uninsulated cables detection reachs, but the coil is 4 Blocks which could produce trouble with a large amount. Not much, but since some nukes could irradiate large areas it might cause trouble. Damaging things that step on it would be enough, maybe it could poison you (since inhaling contaminated air isn't the greatest idea), but no need to be too realistic.

Range could make it a bit tricky, but getting hurt by stepping on them is easy. I never tried building masses of teslas, but I guess it could make problems.

If it behaves like snow it would be too easy to get rid of. A hard to destroy sand-block would be better (with gravity).

Wouldn't NEED to, but you can use a Mob Spawner and it's mechanics to get over 100 mobs going in a loop.

Why kill that mob when you can loop him around and get more EU from him, along with the newly spawned ones?

Repeat to the mob cap, profit. (200 mobs going in a constant circle over and over would be a lot better then just a few that keep falling to their deaths.)

I guess they need to walk on this things to create energy. This shouldn't be a conveyor belt. It doesn't move (since it would need EU this way) it only moves if things on it move. So if mobs spawn they only produce energy as long as they walk around on it.

Well as stated in the watermill-thread (one of them) I would like watermills to work that way. They produce energy and let water flow through them without redstone-signal and if they get one they close.

And this should be possible, BtB has a Block that does something similar (it counts as a source-block if it has liquid inside) so other states should be possible too. And it should work with forge and even if not, it won't be that problematic to just submit the hook for hit.

if we purely look at the first part, Interesting, especially if it could use energy crystals too.

The second one is probably a bad idea, seeing as Solar panels are intended to be used with sunlight.

If we used the pseudo-block method to extend the pseudo-light level to 17 or 18, Then you would have something far superior to a torch, despite using power.

Pseudo-Block for Lightlevel 17 would mean that you have to place pseudo-blocks up to 2 Blocks away, which actually means that you can't place anything 2 Blocks away from a luminator (which would make it hard to wire it). Pseudo-Blocks are a really bad idea, the only thing you will achieve for a lighting-range only 2 blocks farther is inconvenience and most likely a lot of lag. And of course they won't work with Ladders, Rails or anything transparent.

Overclocker Upgrades are valid in machines because you trade power consumption for Increased Process Speed.

Something like that in generators would be too much of a broken feature because you only get beneficts without any kind of disadvantage for it.

Still there is an option.

You have two values:

EU per Fuel-Unit
    EU per Tick

Coal provides 4.000 EU per Unit at a rate of 10 EU/t. With one overclocker you could increase the second by 10% while reducing the first by 3%. So a piece of Coal will only give you 3.880 EU but at a rate of 11 EU/t. Although this is most likely balanced and would work quite well I doubt that many people would want to do it.