[Suggestion] Wood Dust (more charcoal)

• Hello, fellow IndustrialCrafters!

This quick suggestion is fairly simple and quickly explained, so get this:

-Macerate anything made from wood into a certain amount of wood dust or small wood dust piles.
    ->A wood block will get you 4 wood dust, a wooden plank nets 1 wood dust. A stick will only become a small wood dust pile.
    -Craft 2 small wood piles into 1 wood dust.
    -Compress wood dust into pellets.
    -Smelt pellets into charcoal.

I know that pellets have already been suggested, but this approach seemed different to me. All numbers are merely suggestions - I realize this particular setup will quadruple charcoal gains, which may be considered overpowered. The reason I suggest this is that, with industrial diamonds, I tend to not ever use coal for anything but diamonds and coal dust, so charcoal is very nice to have, be it for torches or early-on energy generation.

Since the macerator already doubles ore gain, why shouldn't it enhance charcoal gain, too?
    Thanks for reading! What do you think?

• As nice as these ideas are...

Burning wood to charcoal already increases the power of burning wood. Also you can build a treefarm to supply your industry. This, or (up to 8 generator) windfarms, are how I typically start out before I hit geo-power and then nukes.

• Thanks for your answer! Well, Charcoal is good for making torches, too. One wood block per four torches - that's one ratio that's not upgraded yet. One might argue, however, that IC2 provides luminators, but I don't really use them for mines.

You make a good point, though. Being a solar person, I didn't think of fuel efficiency that much, smelting for free most of the time. Which brings up this: If smelting can be done for free anyway, does improving the wood-to-fuel ratio hurt that much? You'd need some equipment, too.

• Pellets -> Charcoal... no, not a good idea..

BUT! If you were to use them as a replacement for Charcoal for torches, then yeah, that would be neat. (where you get a larger net gain of torches via the process)...

Would anyone like to try a Slowpoke Tail?! Only 1 Million Yen!

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

Every Mod Author, in existence. And yet, you STILL say otherwise.

• You can use 1 Sticky Resin and 1 Stick for 4 torches, by the way.

I don't know if this is really needed, despite being a fairly good idea.

...What? There's no pineapples here.

GENERATION Pineapple: The first pineapple you see, copy it into your sig on any forum and add sqrt(-1) to the generation. Pineapple experiment.

• I didn't know that! Guess you can always learn! ^^

But still, sticky resin is somewhat reserved for making cable insulation, at least I don't really have any to spare. I guess this is a "feel and balancing" question, which, as I feel, Minecraft tends to answer with "feel", at least before 1.8.1.

Another question would be: Would there be more uses for wood dust? I can't think of any good uses spontaneously... :S

• You could give it a burn time of 200 and thus produce 300 EU from each when you burn it. Wood planks would still outpreform them, but the wood dust could be used as an ingredient in biofuel, in which case could be added to cells and collectively burn for much longer in a fuel can than in plank form. This is similar to the process of creating Methanol, a efficient yet highly toxic organic alternative to petroleum that is currently used in Indy car racing. This way, all the materials of tree farms can be subsidized into bio fuel production, since the most effective material for biofuel is from saplings, lol...

this isn't about arrogance or ego, I have a block that I put a lot of freaking work into

• Good point. Also, what came to me during this day: Paper is made like that, so we'd have the opportunity to make paper from wood, which is the actual way paper is made. Paper from sugar cane is possible, but I remember a post on Reddit about "how unrealistic!" being answered with "wiki it, fool!" :D

• Good point. Also, what came to me during this day: Paper is made like that, so we'd have the opportunity to make paper from wood, which is the actual way paper is made. Paper from sugar cane is possible, but I remember a post on Reddit about "how unrealistic!" being answered with "wiki it, fool!" :D

That's also a good point. I'd like to see something along the lines of large scale paper manufacturing as well. If I'm not mistaken, some of the earliest forms of industrialization revolved around paper/wood processing, before moving on to metal work and machinery close to the latter half of the 19th century...

*thinks* so how come we didn't have this to start out with in IC1? lol...

• Just read the (German) wiki article on wood dust/sawdust. I suppose any kind of flammable dust would make for a cheap low-tier explosive. Sound isolation isn't really something you'd opt for in IC2. However, arguing that pressing briquettes rather than "just charcoal" fits the industrial style is, in my opinion, something to be considered. There is also fibreboard, but that'd be "just another texture for wood".

So, even if there are applications loosely based on realistic cases, game balance suggests wood dust is "a discussion worth having, but currently not of interest"?

• Just read the (German) wiki article on wood dust/sawdust. I suppose any kind of flammable dust would make for a cheap low-tier explosive. Sound isolation isn't really something you'd opt for in IC2. However, arguing that pressing briquettes rather than "just charcoal" fits the industrial style is, in my opinion, something to be considered. There is also fibreboard, but that'd be "just another texture for wood".

So, even if there are applications loosely based on realistic cases, game balance suggests wood dust is "a discussion worth having, but currently not of interest"?

SAWDUST BOMBS!! I'd forgotten about those! A bucket of sawdust, a flare and a blast of compressed air is all you need. Seems like a fun way of getting explosives, and it would allow those who play on peaceful to get TNT and dynamite.

• wood dust AKA saw dust...

have you burned saw dust before? its highly flammable yes, but it does jack for heat and longevity. I see this idea being turned down real quick...

• SAWDUST BOMBS!! I'd forgotten about those! A bucket of sawdust, a flare and a blast of compressed air is all you need. Seems like a fun way of getting explosives, and it would allow those who play on peaceful to get TNT and dynamite.

Are you sure you cant just combine redstone and coal dust to get gunpowder?