Posts by narc

IIRC, it's supposed to produce as much steam as can translate to the same amount of EU when piping it into a steam turbine (so 160 steam for every 50 EU/t). Do note that this imposes a massive limit on the amount of power that the reactor can output, due to the limited number of block faces available for attaching pipes (I think it was calculated to be about 4-ish turbines running full-steam at most).

I'm pretty sure the reactor will still follow the EU ratio config, adjusting the amount of steam to (again) produce 160 steam for every 50EU/t output normally. Steam nukes do not require water for producing steam, it gets pulled out of magic country.

Overall, the steam reactor idea is a very interesting experiment, but know its limitations well before you sink too many resources and time into it.

Y'know, these EnergyNet anchors are going to go exceptionally well with BeamMeUp when I have that ready -- interdictors can't get their internal EU storage refilled if their generators aren't chunkloaded, and this would make them exceptionally easy to chunk load.

Nice addon, LostCoder, it's a brilliant idea. I'd like to second the request for making it select up to [a configurable number of] chunks, especially if you find a way to visualize the area.

[...]I would suggest a sort of FreqTransmitter having the ability to "record" coords while rightclicking with it.[...]

That stirs some ideas (forgive my brevity, but it's long past my bedtime): with the frequency system one doesn't need to pass coordinates of teleporters to other teleporters, but... I could see something like a laser designator capturing coordinates for targeted capture or delivery. At the moment, I've got BeamMeUp pretending to be a CC peripheral more than anything, but that makes for a good quick coordinate entry system. I'm pretty sure that's not what you were talking about, but thanks for the idea. :)

That's funny for a French user, seeing a french word used in english as something fun ^^. Before going on that forum, I thought the only words used from French were "Déja vu" and "Rendez vous" ^^.

Well, I studied French once (never got much vocabulary, though, I'm afraid). It just seemed like the perfect thing to say there, and it looks like it was -- it amused at least one person besides me!

Just out of curiosity, is there more meaning to your nick than the rhyming? I mean, "the potato" sounds like it could have either a very silly or a very interesting explanation. Or is my lack of knowledge of French culture/vocabulary making me miss a joke somewhere?

Didn't see anything? Admittedly, that last one doesn't actually have an explanation... but the other two do, and threads in this forum asking the same question have also been answered.

The chunk has been unloaded (or just loaded), but the generator hasn't been invalidated yet.

Water bucket. Drop water, clear out a diamond shape around you. Pick up, repeat. Takes a little while, but much less than manually punching it.

All would be well and good, but if Jonny Trollsalot is carrying around 64 singal-booster blocks, he can circumvent your infrastructure with little to no preparation ahead of time.

Yes, I was thinking of that, as well, but there are ways to mitigate it and still keep the usefulness. Nonstackable is an idea, as well as simply making its range extremely small (think of it like a torch that you'd have to be standing in to be in the signal-boosted area). That, combined with the ability to stack the dampeners (as in having multiples of them become exponentially more effective if they cover the same area) means it's possible to make an area that no signal booster will ever get you out of.

I'm also thinking of MFFS integration sooner or later -- it sounds very Trekkish to bring up your shields to prevent enemy teleports, n'est-ce pas?

Anyways, the whole idea sounds awesome. I'll make the textures :D

Excellent! I've already started the github repo. Let's see where we get from here.

Okay, so I just spent a good half hour thinking about this (and another half-hour writing this post!), and I'm kind of thinking of Star Trek-ish teleporters now. I'm not 100% sure I'm still on-topic for this thread, but let me run by you what I've been considering:

Firstly, teleporters can operate in "linked" mode -- if there are two of them on the same frequency, they use something like wireless redstone to talk to each other and make your point-to-point transit more or less safe... but if there are more than two, the results tend to be quite deadly. The actual teleport process will consume power from both units, and there's a range cap above which they will refuse to link (not sure how large a cap -- does 5km sound okay?).

Secondly, a teleporter can operate in "arbitrary" mode, where it will try to send (or receive!) from arbitrary coordinates, but can have various modes of failure. To start with, before it can do anything, the teleporter needs to acquire a lock on the remote coordinates, which gets harder and harder the further you're trying to go. Secondly, the lock, once acquired, has a signal strength that varies semi-randomly, and eventually decays the longer the lock is held. Trying to teleport to a poor lock can place you up to 16 meters away in any of the three axes (depending on signal strength), which can be very dangerous in some circumstances (like teleporting off the edge of a ravine, or in the ground). Trying to teleport from a poor lock can be safer -- for you -- but may end up pulling mobs nearby or even just blocks that clog up the teleporter pad.

To enhance these mechanics, we can have a few other things, and the first one I thought of was teleport interdiction. Either as a block that consumes power to maintain an interdiction zone, or as items (interdiction grenades) that temporarily make it (nearly) impossible to acquire a lock in the area. I haven't decided yet if teleporters should be directly affected by interdiction, or just the locking mechanism, though my thoughts on the matter are that they should reduce their range for both modes of operation.

Another item I'm thinking about is a personal teleport beacon -- an item you carry with you that allows a teleporter to know your current coordinates (using the same frequency settings as teleporters working in linked mode, and with the same limitations), which may also boost lock acquisition slightly. Combine with a powered (but fairly cheap) block version of the beacon that can boost lock acquisition in the area, you could go out with a personal beacon and several of the block variant and still be reasonably secure in your ability to return -- though you will have to leave the beacons behind if you do. The beacons should not connect to the energy net -- if you want to recharge them, you have to hit them with a battery (or more likely, an energy crystal) -- to prevent them from being used as cheap teleporter stations. I'm further thinking they can act as chunk loaders for their chunk for as long as they have charge, which should be on the order of 5 minutes.

Finally, to tie everything together, teleporters should work as CC peripherals. For extra awesomeness, combine with Wireless Redstone, and you get a system that can send you out into the world and pull you back -- but you have to program the control computer for it. In fact, I may make the simple teleporters be completely incapable of arbitrary mode (otherwise that's a LOT of GUI work) unless you also have ComputerCraft, in which case, the peripheral API can expose all the functionality required. If someone else wants to take on the GUI work, though, it will be an open-source project and I am more than willing to accept enhancements.

So how does that sound?

It's basically just telling you that the chunk was unloaded so the batbox can't really emit energy (though it wants to). Mostly benign warning.

For some reason, this Mod causes Minecraft (1.4.4) to fail upon startup.

Yeah, I can't do that, as certain mods I have don't work with that version. Too bad...

1.4.4 and 1.4.5 are practically identical, except for fixing "broken LAN server functionality" and a few tiny things. Also, your issue is you have an old Forge that doesn't have the Liquid stuff in it. What mod supposedly doesn't work with 1.4.5 but does work with 1.4.4?