[Question] Railcraft Steam from Reactor

• does anyone know how much railcraft steam the reactor produces when the config is set to do so?
    i want to know this before i set my server up because changing the config while it runs will be pretty annoying for the clients...
    and does the eu ratio config for reactors work on this?
    how about water? boilers need water for steam, reactors too?

i like the idea of having steam that you can use in a way you like to generate either EU or MJ but i dont want to completely nerf the reactor

List of People I know who didn't blew up a machine from Advanced Machines addon by wiring them to MV: { }

Yay math exam is soon... lots of fun... "you love taylor approximation with parameters" *beat head with stick*

• IIRC, it's supposed to produce as much steam as can translate to the same amount of EU when piping it into a steam turbine (so 160 steam for every 50 EU/t). Do note that this imposes a massive limit on the amount of power that the reactor can output, due to the limited number of block faces available for attaching pipes (I think it was calculated to be about 4-ish turbines running full-steam at most).

I'm pretty sure the reactor will still follow the EU ratio config, adjusting the amount of steam to (again) produce 160 steam for every 50EU/t output normally. Steam nukes do not require water for producing steam, it gets pulled out of magic country.

Overall, the steam reactor idea is a very interesting experiment, but know its limitations well before you sink too many resources and time into it.

• I think that you can use the liquiducts from thermal expansion to transfer steam exceptionally fast and with very high capacity.

The IC2 forums could really use a lot more of [REDACTED], [DATA EXPUNGED] and ████████.

I'm in a so called "after-school". It's freaking fantastic and nowhere near as boring as normal school!

• if you are using reactors with steam you should almost always place it on an iron tank, this way no matter HOW much steam you make you always have enough block faces to get the steam from. i run a 9x9x8 iron tank with 6 microcycle reactors on it, feeding a bank of 64 industrial steam engines, the tank has 16 liquiduct extractors on it, merging to a 1 block pipe that then splits out again to the engine bank this works out to supply ALL the engines with 8 mj/tick worth of steam. thats 512 MJ, or 1280 EU, you get less if you use turbines ( and theyre more expensive)

• ty guys
    i asked all the server users and told them what to expect... we decided for the steam reactor
    as it's only a disadvantage in initial cost (and it takes more different ressources then and not only tons of copper)

List of People I know who didn't blew up a machine from Advanced Machines addon by wiring them to MV: { }

Yay math exam is soon... lots of fun... "you love taylor approximation with parameters" *beat head with stick*