Posts by hoho

According to that, no Problems should happen, when a certain Flag is set to true in the Config. But I have to look at 1.6 in a week to see what I can do for that. Until then I will keep doing 1.5 until 1.6 got more stable.

From what I understood that config is a parameter to JVM that re-defines some internal FML flag to allow for non-vanilla minecraft.jar files (non-matching checksum).

Jar Modding is not depricated. You can still do it, like before (what would happen to Optifine if not?). Forge just has an installation helper, which makes it "one click and go", even though its not really just one click.

Are you sure? Look at what minecraftcpw tweeted about optifine a few hours ago.

Or does it just mean that for the finite water one has to make a similar binary patch to vanilla-MC as Forge itself does?

My biggest gripe with the proposed liquid salt reactor is that in real world one of it's big pluses is that it's incapable of critical malfunction resulting in anything exploding. Worst case scenario the liquid salt gets hot enough to melt away the safety plugs at the bottom of reactor and the fuel/liquid salt flows through there in a safety pit where it's spread thin over a big area allowing it to cool down completely without any need for any active protection measures.

Perhaps make that safety cooling basin an optional feature for the reactors? If one doesn't build it THEN the thing will blow up :)

As for the 1x1 nuclear boiler, I assume this thingy will be producing steam. Will there be something that is able to turn that steam into EU or are we supposed to use the steam upgrades on our machines?

[edit]
    Oh, and the most important question: what happens to the NoInfiniteWater patch with 1.6.2 when jar modding is deprecated? Are there any hooks in Forge to disable it?

Allow Drain covers to collect "Rainwater" (Different from normal water) at a rate of 50 mB/t , which can be used on water turbines.
    Water turbines are similar to steam/gas turbines, but except that it only accepts rainwater from above, and outputs normal water on bottom.
    Ratio would be 50mB of rainwater = 10 EU (for 100% efficiency). Thus 10 EU/t for every machine box collecting water during rain.

Uhh, even a huge 100 store house won't be able to generate more than few hundreds of watts of power from a whole year of rainfall using just gravity.

Isn't flour is made from seeds instead of wheat hay/straw? It also would be nice if there will be "raw" form of bread instead of simply smelting flour, something like:

Wheat seeds -> Flour (macerator)
    Flour + Egg -> Raw Bread (crafting, probably may cause hunger when eaten, e.g. the same way as Raw Chicken)
    Raw Bread -> Bread (smelting)

In that case it should be possible to make wheat seeds from the harvested wheat as well. It's not hay, after all.

I think getting obsidian from thermal generators (then processing on electrolyzers for iron/magnesium/silicium) would be better.
    or the thermal generator produces both obsidian and "metal clusters" which can be macerated then quickly electrolyzed for metals.

What about some sort of liquid form of waste that you need to purify for useful stuff? That would make it far easier to have it be dumped out bit by bit instead of big chunks in form of (tiny) dust piles.

E.g let's say we dump a bucket worth of lava in a generator together with a bucket of water. We get a ton of steam, bunch of sand/gravel (or other useless byproduct) and 100mB of "waste". Of that 100mB 53 would be water, 20 obsidian, 16 copper, 8 tin, 2 gold, 2 silver, 1 tungsten (numbers are just an example and tons of fine-tuning would be needed). Another machine (multiblock centrifuge?) would be able to separate those liquids into pure stuff. Each full bucket of that pure stuff would equate to one full dust pile/ingot/block.

Can one apply random and changing NBT data to liquids? That would even make it possible to have liquids that have random stuff mixed in them without needing all new liquid for every single possible output.

liquid to gas?
    I think its 1 CH4 (g) + 2 O2 (g) -> 1 CO2 + 2 H20 (g), which leads into heat and causes the air to expand, creating pressure, then the pressure is "released" through the turbine.

Yeah, I oversimplified it a bit too much there :)

[edit]
    Why asked about being able to modify NBT data of liquids is that I've had an idea for massively liquid-based "industry" in MC for ages. E.g when I drill stuff with a miner I'd not get blocks but some kind of mix of useless stuff, water and useful thing. E.g I spend a bucket of water to "dig" a block to get two buckets of "potentially useful mud" - PUM. If I hit an ore block I might get two buckets of PUM. Those two buckets would contain e.g 1000mB water and 1000mB of iron and I'll dump it to a huge tank. Next I hit 10 cobble blocks in a row giving me 10 buckets of water, 5 buckets of sand, 3 buckets of gravel and 2 buckets of dirt and I'll dump that to the same tank as well. Basically the PUM in the tank (and in all the pipes/machines) would have constantly changing content. It could go from pure water to mix of several tens of different ingredients while technically still being the same liquid. It could be passed through all sorts of filters, centrifuges, electrolysers, heating ovens etc to separate the useful from the useless.

Any Ideas on "spare parts" I could use for a Steam outputting Thermal Generator? Oh wait! How about a Filter for valuable resources! (which is still way less efficient than Centrifuging Lava). Don't worry, the Geogen will only require the Filter for getting these Resources, and won't explode due to breaking Filters.

Filter to lessen the "smoke" going up to make the thing less visible in future when pollution gets added?

The Gas Turbine doesn't output any Steam, SpwnX. It's a TURBINE, it rotates because of the burning Gas.

I thought it's just rotating turbine due to moving gas. Burning just creates pressure by expanding liquid into gas form.

Multiblock generators suggestion :
    First, make them ALL output steam and require a water insertion hatch, water blocks will be required.
    It won't actually drain the water block, but extract water from it, like TE Aqueous Accumulator. Water hatch will scan the a 3x3x3 area of the generator for water and 9 blocks must be filled with water.
    This will make each generator require a steam turbine for it (either directly adjacent or somehow connected), like nearly all RL generators do.

What if I want to play with no-infinite water and refuse to use stuff that pulls water out of nothing?

Also, everything producing steam is kind of stupid.

Thermal generator : Insert lava, outputs obsidian (and steam)
    Generator : Insert burnable solids, outputs CO2 (and steam)
    Plasma Generator : Insert Plasma, outputs gaseous whatever-plasma-thing-you-inserted (and steam)

Ok, makes sense but I think there might be alternative ways to produce energy from plasma.

Diesel generator : Insert fuel, outputs CO2 (and steam)
    Semifluid generator : Insert fluids, outputs CO2 (and steam)
    Gas Turbine : Insert burnable gasses, outputs CO2 (and steam)

Those three all work pretty much the same way as internal combustion engine does. Burning fuel to create steam is horribly inefficient.

Magic Energy Converter : Insert Magic items, output flux (and pure energy from the magic energy transformer [dynamo block])

It's magic so it can be whatever it wants to :)

Overall the extra byproducts is a good thing. I've always wondered how can one dump liquid rock into a machine and have it completely disappear. Burning coal/wood at least makes sense.

Antimatter could then be used for many HAYO! things. Like Matter-Antimatter reactors made with the Magnetic Machine Casings/advanced casings and a control machine block, outputting so much energy that it has to be transmitted through Magnetic pipes (looks kinda like BC power through the pipes, but white-ish in colour, and better looking pipes), which is converted to usable power with some other really awesome generator.

Using antimatter for energy production has negative energy balance. You WILL always spend more energy creating the antimatter than you get back.

Though that doesn't mean it can't be used for it. E.g for powering something that needs insane amounts of EU/t that no other normal way can provide. Let's say an antimatter generator pumping out a billion EU/t for powering stargates and would run just a few seconds. To make the antimatter you'd need, say, 2x more EU than is generated from it. Alternatively just skip the antimatter -> EU generation entirely and just use a cell of it to teleport you to designation (or do whatever else that needs that massive power)

as to treat entire chunks like single blocks

that's a recipe for bringing any server/PC to it's knees.

Now that GregTech automatic machines can be crafted directly without the IC2 counterparts, I demand a config to let us disable the original IC2 versions completely so nobody can abuse them for their overpowered swappable upgrades.

Assuming the UpgradeStacksize doesn't effect GT machines you could just change that to <4 to make OC'ing IC2 machines less useful. You'd still be able to have 4 OC'ers in them but at least it won't be as silly as 12 :)

_____

I've always liked the oil->fuel processing but I'm rather saddened that in GT it's pretty much a late-game machine to make that conversion. I propose a solution for that: make distillation tower similar to blast furnace
    Block types for the "case" define the quality/quantity/type of products you get from it similarly to how heat level defines what can be processed in furnace
    The distiller block itself should be cheap-ish (midgame) to make but can take progressively more expensive upgrades to be able to make use of the more advanced "case".

One possible example of how it might be balanced. All numbers, products and consumables are made up on spot and will definitely need finetuning and are meant only for illustrating the concept.

E.g at most basic level you'd get a bucket of fuel per 5 buckets of oil and use about 250k EU to do it. It would still be energy positive (~150k per fuel bucket) but obviously VERY inefficient in terms of oil usage.
    At next tier you'd get fuel at 1:2 ratio using 200k EU per bucket and get some additional byproducts (sulfuric acid?)
    At highest tier you'd get fuel at same ratio, energy usage and byproducts as with current distillation tower.

Bonus - special blocks/upgrades.
    From the little information we have I've understood that the new multiblock generators have the possibility to add/modify functionality of multiblocks by having special blocks at certain places in the structure. That means we could have special blocks in the "case" of distillation tower to modify how the thing works. For example something to gather even more byproducts (or even require those blocks for all byproducts) would be nice. E.g I believe methane is a pretty common byproduct. Something to gather the more heavy elements (bitumen?) would also be possible.

Only downside I see with this is that the NEI recipes for the tower would be mighty confusing/irrelevant.

Bonus idea - as in real world majority of methane gets released during the pumping process and not during processing then perhaps that upgrade makes more sense for an advanced pump instead. When pumping oil the upgraded pump would also "produce" some additional methane. Nice goodie for more methane would be that methane would make gas turbine a more attractive thing to build. In real-world there are far more methane burning power plants than oil burning ones and I haven't really seen a useful source of methane, not even as a byproduct of something useful.

You know , the maximum number in computer ( or at least in minecraft ) is 2.1 billion

No it isn't. It's trivial to use integers up to 18,000,000,000,000,000,000 (roughly 4 billion times 4 billions) and if you are willing to accept a bit of extra CPU load on computations nearly infinitely sized integers are supported as well.

Instead of having EU numbers that high I'd rather see a whole new energy network with a different medium for transferring energy for the extreme values. No idea what to call it, though.

Heres a doable one, stick the actual EU usage as a tooltip on the machine/recipie in nei, becuase when i fully overclocked my wiremill with 4x, i was amazed that it only pulled 128eu/t.

It would also be nice to somehow know the maximum possible EU/t for a processing recipe for a machine. I threw a bunch of overclockers on an assembler to speed it up and it pulled around 128 EU for most stuff. Once I started doing some higher tier things it jumped to about 1024 EU/t. I was lucky to notice that as I was just about to OC it a bit more and using 4-8k EU/t from a single machine would not have done good to my power system.

Yes, I know I could click through ~100 recipes in NEI to see it but I'd like an automatic way for it. Perhaps throw the information into the computer cube?

Also 4D Rendering is much more complex than this gif.

Technically all you need is to project it to 3D space about the same way how 3D stuff is projected to 2D screen.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! when i was trying to install a newer version of greg tech it deleted all my mods!!!!!!!!!!! all i did is that i didnt know where the mods folder was located so i did a search for it and draged it into my favorites hotbar. :cursing:

You can be quite sure GT has absolutely nothing to do with it and it's how Windows can get a bit wonky at times. Try searching for some mod zip file name and see if it was moved to another part of your hard drive