Posts by Two

Did you loop your Energystorages? If so, then it's your fault as loops are not being processed by the E-net because of infinite senseless Energytransfer, which could even lead to terrible Cable-Loss, while just storing EU.

I did loop but the issue was a different one: the enet behaved unpredictable, sometimes drawing energy from the one box until machines went dry even though the other box was still full, then suddenly after reloading the energy was drawn from the second box but the first one was ignored.

Expected behaviour: Energy is drawn from both boxes by machines and excess energy is stored in the second then first batbox.

For clarification, this was about my setup (side-view):
    :Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Rubber Log::Macerator::Macerator::Macerator::Rubber Log::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre:
    :Generator::Glass Fibre::Batbox::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Glass Fibre::Batbox::Glass Fibre:

Left batbox output pointing towards machines only, right batbox output looped bat into the enet.

Yesterday I played around with agriculture and noticed some bugs:
    - Major: Crop-sticks do not save their weed-ex state, so whenever they are loaded again from file they are either overgrown with weed or the crop-o-matron wastes several bottles of weed-ex.
    - Minor: Melons do drop as melon block and not as melon item. As the block itself cannot be used, you need to drop and then destroy it first.
    - Minor: The chainsaw is not registered as a proper tool to 'mine' melon blocks, while it works fine with pumpkin blocks.

Other bugs:
    - Major: The apparently energy-net does strange things when storage blocks (Batbox) are linked to themselves. In my setup I had a reactor power a batbox, which powered my machines and then a third dead-end batbox after these, the last batbox was linked to the net with both the input and output. At first all boxed filled up properly while the machines were working fine, but when the generator stopped working, strange things happened. Energy was not transmitted even if the last batbox was full, then after reloading the last batbox was transmitting but the first one was no longer. Could not find a work-around for this yet.

Got that part, but that requires an official support which we currently do not have. Although I have thought about just creating an "IC2 fixed" project on Git-hub, I came to the conclusion that Alblaka wouldn't like that.

Thank for the miner fix btw. I am using it and it works fine, except that it now returns all pipes+1. But that's still way better than before. ;)

As for open-sourcing it.. have you seen what Java decompiles look like? It's not quite the original source code, but it's quite reasonable. If it wasn't for the legal issues, maintaining a public fixed-IC2 branch would be quite doable.

The problem doesn't start with decompiling, but when you try to apply the fix. It would be really annoying for players if they'd had to download the main version plus 20 mods or so that individually fix several bugs in that main version.

Is there a chance that we can get an update on the beta version with fixes for the current major issues?
    Playing with the broken miner and uranium conversion requires to hack in items often, which is a bit annoying atm. ;)

Need to resetup your MCP-environment. Again.
    Takes time. Again.
    Adds new bugs. Again.

I doubt there will be that much of incode change, but it will still take a couple of hours and IS annoying at some point. I mean... FIREWORKS?!

Have I recently mentioned that you need more people? ;)

Someone for example who can setup your Jenkins server to automatically download MCP & latest Forge, then compiles and sends you a bug report if any?

Why not an overarching API to isolate the current API's from the update cycle?

"Another API layer should do it" - If a manager tells you this as the result of a meeting you know that you are a) doomed and b) you will have to rewrite the code 3 month after that "this will solve it" layer is finished and released. Thats like if you bring your car to a mechanic because it is broken, but instead of fixing it he tells you to just take the bus instead and then hands you the bill.

I am not sure if that works out well. It's like if you put people from the kindergarden and some who just graduated from college together and say: here do a project. It may lack some team-coordination. ;)

I would love to actually see something of this mysterious API they keep bragging about. As someone who has some experience with API design I don't really see how they are going to offer all those features promised at Minecon without rewriting the entire code from scratch.

As someone who has some experience with management I however work by the statement: "If there is nothing on the table, then there is nothing on the table." Too many "promises" have turned out to be pure vapor-ware to take people talking serious.

First they need to put it into the game, and then they need to get it in a releasable state. Currently the Minecraft code architecture is a big pile of mess that just randomly happens to work from time to time (aka release) and I do not expect this to change very soon, as the same people who created the mess are still working on it and consider it decent. So no need to rush anything just because they announced something.

This is btw. one of the reasons I do not expect any modding API this century, at least none that is even remotely acceptable, however I wouldn't mind if they'd surprise me.

normal users listen winamp and some external music, not machines, there is completely no reason to waste time on sounds as long as something else need hand.

You can switch off sounds completely in the Minecraft options if you don't want them, but force-disabling them might be annoying for other players.

I PM'd Alblaka and RichardG, and offered to help fix bugs. No reply from either of them. No, "thanks", not even a "bugger off, we don't need your help".

There had been a discussion on this a while ago to allow others to access the source-code (aka semi-open-source model), but so far no decision. I am having similar issues with that: I could spend a weekend and probably fix most bugs that are currently around, but I don't have the source-code and I don't have a way of submitting those bugs, which kind of makes the potential time invested pointless. However the last time Alblaka answered this request he had been in the middle of exams (or something like that) and probably still is, so maybe he might say more to it in the future.

http://pastebin.com/MTM7Q2gU
    I still get a Crash log, and i'm using latest Forge

This looks like a Forge issue and not like an IC2 issue. Please try the following:
    1. In your .minecraft directory there is a lib directory (C:\Users\Andy\Documents\MultiMC 4.0\instances\1.4.2 Mod collection\.minecraft\lib). Delete this lib directory.
    2. Start Minecraft.

Forge will now re-download all libs and probably correct the issue.

I was forced to use C++ and I still hate it. Almost everything you can do with C you can do with Java as well, just that the Java version takes about half as much time to do and has a trillion less bugs.