Posts by abculatter_2

First, I'm too lazy to read all 5 pages of this thread, so sorry if a similar idea has already been posted. But, anyway, idea for how the armor could be made to have breakage;
    The right-click GUI could have a slot, similar to the GT maintenance hatch, in which a soldering iron can be placed. When this slot is activated, it 'solders' all solderable components in place, making those slots unmodifiable until that component breaks. Components which are solderable would be anything which you want to eventually break, such as plates. The soldered slot would then store a durability value based on what's in it, and every time the armor takes durability damage it instead redirects that to all soldered components. This would allow you to have both removable 'unbreakable' components, such as tanks, batteries, and possibly circuits, (Personally, I'm torn on whether circuits should be a breakable component or not.) and breakable components such as armor plates.
    Or, a slightly different way to achieve the same basic result would be to have the solder activation instead apply durability to the armor frame itself based on the components it soldered. Then, when the frame hits 0 durability, it breaks all soldered components. The soldered armor with durability could also be considered a 'finalized' piece of armor, which does not allow any additional soldering until it either breaks or is disassembled somehow, so as to prevent odd behavior with soldering things onto the armor after soldering thing onto it.

EDIT: I unlazified myself and read the thread, and wanted to make a suggestion for the oil. What about allowing the raw data from the seismic prospector to be printed without analyzation by machine, and making the machine analyzing require MV, or just require a long time to analyze? This raw data would require some figuring out/mathing to self-analyze, and would have a random noise element added to it so you'd have to collect multiple samples to be sure. This would require more brainpower, but would be cheaper and can be done earlier then using a machine.

As for how the manual analyzing should actually work, I'm not sure, but it would be nice to have something like this. Also, since oil isn't really absolutely vital, and a machine-assisted method would exist, don't shy away from making it hard to figure out/math.

EDIT2: And another idea, how about making it so that every oil field has a 'depth' value to it, which is revealed by analyzation. (Either manual or machine-assisted) Oil pump GUIs would then have slots for pipes, and the number of pipes placed in the GUI determines the depth that pump pumps at. The closer the pump is to the field's 'ideal' depth, the faster oil is extracted and the higher the percentage of the field's total oil the pump is capable of extracting. Additionally, higher-tier pumps would allow for more pipes in the inventory, allowing them to reach the 'ideal' depth of a larger number of fields. (There could also be a bias in the generation so that lower-depth fields usually have more oil in them)
    Also, to make things more interesting, machine analyzed results could give depth numbers with less granularity then is actually there. For example, depth could be a number from 1-1024, but machine analyzed results would only have 32 possible results, shown to the player as number ranges. So if the depth of the field is, say, 218, it would display 192 - 224, meaning the depth is somewhere in that range. These ranges would go up and down in increments of 32.
    Manually-analyzed results could give greater granularity, given a sufficient number of results are analyzed.
    Or you could just throw down pipes and measure output, and see which one gives the most. As a downside to this method, and to encourage using the analyzation results, there could be a mechanic where placing pipes represents 'drilling' into the field (Or you could add a core shaft driller to do it in a less abstracted way) and every block down you go, you destroy a percentage of the field's oil. This wouldn't be more then 8-16% of the field's oil if you go all the way down to max depth, but if you want to maximize the amount of oil you get you'd want to drill as little as possible.

The IC² Version is the only thing I updated, but I just renamed the new IC² Dev jar to have the old IC² Dev jar Version Number in order to not have to change anything in eclipse. XD

Not really a coder, but this seems like the exact kind of situation the Refactor button was added for. :P

Also, you weren't planning on adding the lightning rod? But that was the whole point of Gregtech, to be a lightning rod simulator! :P

stupid things does not make game fun.
    stupid things make game stupid.

i dont want to play stupid games or make stupid things in games.

Floating dirt blocks.
    Making a one-block furnace out of 8 blocks of cobblestone.
    Wood breaking stone.
    Giant spiders, that announce their presence with a skree.
    Zombies. And skeletons.

This isn't a realistic game. There are a lot of 'stupid' features, which you likely ignore at this point because it's a game and you're used to seeing these things in it.

Additionally, the whole reason coalfuel was originally added to Industrialcraft, as I understand it, was to make coal more useful as an energy source, since on its own it has no advantages over charcoal. This makes the process even more convenient over previous iterations, and adds an option for the player to increase the energy yield of coal even further at the cost of greater complexity, making coal more valuable and also somewhat simulating fossil fuels in real life, in a way that feels unique and doesn't just copy buildcraft's oil springs or Railcraft's coal coke.

I would also like to restate that this feature is already in-game (or at least, it was the last time I played) and is thus already a part of Industrialcraft. (It even has an emoticon: :Coal Cell: ) I am merely suggesting an improvement of a current feature.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux_(metallurgy)

I'm neither for nor against this idea. It would depend on just how much refined iron we'll be making once uses for it have been added. (are there any uses for it now?) If we'll be making stacks and stacks of it, then this may be a way to add another resource limitation to it that has to be mined. (unless you have other mods installed that allow its creation, which would render the whole feature largely moot, or have UUM) Though then again, iron is a lot less common then gravel deposits, so even then it would only be relevant if the player had renewable iron before UUM, (basically an iron golem farm) AND used enough refined iron to use up all the gravel they found getting to that point.

water + coal wont make any fuel.

as you may be dont know, water normally does not burn, ever when mixed with carbon based fuels...

You are aware that coalfuel has been in this mod for a very long time?

Also, why does it matter that this mechanic is unrealistic? This is a GAME, not a reality simulator. What you should be asking is: Does this make the game more fun?

First off, because of hardware issues I haven't been able to play the most recent experimental versions, so sorry if any of these have already been implemented or conflict with anything already in-game.

Coalfuel should be changed to a liquid, like biogas, and be given a new method of processing.

I suggest that the first few steps remain the same, apply water to a pile of coal dust either manually or with the canner's enrich option, compress it, then put it back into the canner for another water processing step to make coalfuel. Alternatively, it could produce wet coal, which is then put into the fermenter to yield coalfuel.

An alternative processing method, which can either be added in addition to the above or as the sole way of making coalfuel, could be to make the second enrichment use biogas instead of water, with coal acting as an additive. If this is made into the only option, I would also propose a renaming to coal-diesel.

Obviously, this should provide more energy then burning the biogas directly, and if it's added as an alternative to water then it should yield more energy-profit per coal to compensate for the greater complexity and resource cost. (Even if those additional resources are renewable)

Also, with the addition of the blast furnace for making refined iron, it seems like an obvious way to add a more interesting progression as well as nicely integrating the blast furnace into overall progression by making all of the electric tools require refined iron to craft instead of just iron. Besides, it would make sense that an unbreakable, if electric-powered, tool in a world with otherwise rather frail tools would require some kind of advanced and artificial material.

As a minor suggestion, I also think that the diamond drill should have an advanced circuit added to its recipe, to make it at least slightly less of a no-brainer to upgrade your drill immediately. Plus, it makes sense that an advanced tool would require an advanced circuit.

If that is implemented, then the nether star magic energy converter recipe should be removed, since it doesn't make much sense to have both.

Also, would like to revive an old idea that was suggested before: The Heat Dynamo, a renewable generator that runs off various forms of infinite heat in Minecraft.
    For example, a block of fire under the generator could generate 1-.5 EU/t infinitely, though will occasionally generate fire blocks nearby. Lava could be used temporarily, though leaving it there for too long will melt the dynamo. (This could be automated with dispensers + buckets + redstone, which would be interesting to set up) Placing Nitor into an inventory slot could generate .25-.5 eu/t, with no caveats. Or, if one presses a button in the GUI, the block will search the adjacent blocks for a blaze. If it finds one, the blaze is 'captured' in the block and will generate something like 5 eu/t, but over time the blaze will degrade the dynamo, causing damage in the exact same way of a steam turbine with exactly the same disadvantages. If all of the damage types exist on a single dynamo, the blaze will be released and the dynamo repaired before it can be recaptured.
    If the blaze capturing isn't possible, then alternatively simply placing the dynamo on top of/adjacent to a blaze spawner will generate 5 eu/t if they can be placed on any side, or 30 eu/t if only on the top.

Thinking about it, it would also be really cool if this were a multiblock instead of just a single block, and/or if the dynamo produced steam instead of EU directly, requiring water input. This would, however, be a rather large nerf to the blaze spawner dynamo... It would be interesting having to pipe or cart water into the nether for this, though, or making some kind of elaborate contraption to generate it in the nether. (cactus or sugar seem like good candidates for this)

If you add Pam's Harvestcraft, you can use juice to heal yourself in the early game. All juice requires is a fruit and a juicer, the juicer being made with 3 smoothstone. If I remember correctly, they heal a half-heart each.

If you do do so, I would also reccomend adding Hunger Overhaul.

Also, it's notable that hunger overhaul allows you to adjust how you regen health: For example, my personal favorite health regen setting is to allow healing above 3-4 hunger shanks, with major injuries healing EXTREMELY slowly (something like a few Minecraft days to heal completely) and minor ones taking less, something around one or half a Minecraft day.

i think we already have too many mods, i take a look at the list and "...wtf, what this mod is for anyway..." everything we have it can keep us busy for a good amount of time, and with the changes GregoriusT is making, things will require even more time, anyway sometimes less is more.

The only mod I see that's at all new is Applied Thermodynamics, which I don't really know why that's there... Also it has no documentation that I can find.