Mining Laser Upgrade Tool/Utility - Brainstorming Session!

• Official Post

Dye for Laser beam.

Scientific basis :

Beam Wavelength modifier, changes the wavelength of "laser", changing its color or making it invisible (wavelength above violet). Invisible beams uses more energy, but has more damage too.

• Beam Wavelength modifier, changes the wavelength of "laser", changing its color or making it invisible (wavelength above violet). Invisible beams uses more energy, but has more damage too.

Yeah but then, over purple (yup, u sure violet exist in english ? Then it would be a false-friend to me, since it's basically the word for purple in french ^^) are tons of wavelenths ... Microwaves, X-ray, Gamma Rays ...

Soon with Molten Salt Reactors, right ? :D
    NERF THA FUSION REACTOR!

• Official Post

Yeah but then, over purple (yup, u sure violet exist in english ? Then it would be a false-friend to me, since it's basically the word for purple in french ^^) are tons of wavelenths ... Microwaves, X-ray, Gamma Rays ...

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_(color), yes it is a color which exists.
    Wavelength modifier would toggle between colorized beams and invisible beams.

Colorized lights : Red to Violet
    Invisible Lights : Microwaves (requires magnet, deals extra damage to entities that has significant amount of water), X-ray (requires magnet and U238, goes through blocks, dealing damage to entities normally), Gamma rays (requires plutonium [nuclear modifier], goes through blocks, dealing insane damage to any entity, apply radiation poisoning for 15s)

• According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_(color), yes it is a color which exists.
    Wavelength modifier would toggle between colorized beams and invisible beams.

Colorized lights : Red to Violet
    Invisible Lights : Microwaves (requires magnet, deals extra damage to entities that has significant amount of water), X-ray (requires magnet and U238, goes through blocks, dealing damage to entities normally), Gamma rays (requires plutonium [nuclear modifier], goes through blocks, dealing insane damage to any entity, apply radiation poisoning for 15s)

What about radio waves for messages?

• Would be valid, although i don't know how useful would be to send random messages.

Maybe a special Receiver which turns them into redstone signal(s)

+1
    Another way it could be done is reading the transmission as Morse Code?

• I was thinking about some sort message sending device of science, but decided it would not be used very much, and unless it was heavily requested in future versions I would leave it out. But if you guys think it would be somewhat useful, then why not? Comments?

And yes, violet is a color.

As for the custom laser beam color and attributes, I already have working code for everything from 400nm to 10^-6nm, just need a 'good' way to customize it. Currently I have a rheostat (Used in circuits to adjust voltage/current IRL *confirmed to be used with changing laser diode wavelengths by an engineer at the local Boston Scientific) that is added to the circuit and can just adjusted though my own custom laser table. Currently, the only tool added by me is a micro screwdriver, used for adjusting the rheostat. I feel this would allow the most usefulness in future updates.

My reason for explaining this now: Do you think that is too complex? Any better suggestions?

Also if you can Texture/Model, please shoot me a PM. I am in need for a few textures and maybe a better laser table model as I feel mine looks to bland/dull.
    http://www.agkz.me/lazez/screenshots/table.png

• Official Post

I was thinking about some sort message sending device of science, but decided it would not be used very much, and unless it was heavily requested in future versions I would leave it out. But if you guys think it would be somewhat useful, then why not? Comments?

Remote targeted Redstone Signals, thats enough i guess. [So you can open a door or activate something by shooting it with lazors]
    The beam would be fast, to instant, while going through anything in a decent range, global if "GPS" is available. [Note that you need to launch a satellite for GPS, or is that too much detailing?]

And yes, violet is a color.

Between purple and blue in the color wheel.

As for the custom laser beam color and attributes, I already have working code for everything from 400nm to 10^-6nm, just need a 'good' way to customize it. Currently I have a rheostat (Used in circuits to adjust voltage/current IRL *confirmed to be used with changing laser diode wavelengths by an engineer at the local Boston Scientific) that is added to the circuit and can just adjusted though my own custom laser table. Currently, the only tool added by me is a micro screwdriver, used for adjusting the rheostat. I feel this would allow the most usefulness in future updates.

My reason for explaining this now: Do you think that is too complex? Any better suggestions?

Fairly simple, as you can rotate the selection device.
    Micro screwdriver would allow you to construct and adapt smaller thingies, as more stuff gets inserted.

Also if you can Texture/Model, please shoot me a PM. I am in need for a few textures and maybe a better laser table model as I feel mine looks to bland/dull.
    http://www.agkz.me/lazez/screenshots/table.png

Here, I choose you, SirusKing.

• Here, I choose you, SirusKing.

He's already helping me with the laser texture itself! (Much thanks BTW!)
    Honestly, most of my textures use IC2 textures automatically, with custom layovers for dynamically changing things like the laser tip to reflect its color, so when he updates IC2 they automatically update mine xD

• As it stands right now, I have a laser beam reflecting off when it hits any blocks with a material tag of glass. The reason I say that is to bring up a discussion on if any glass block should reflect or should there be predetermined mirror blocks that are the only "reflectors"

Both options work and I can't decide. Both work scientifically (for the most part) and both would work in-game.

So the question is, any glass block or specific mirror blocks to reflect laser beams

Thoughts?

• It would make more sense for laser to pass through glass...

I guess a predetermined reflector is better. If possible, make a material class or a flag (or some API method) for other modders to use?

• The problem with x-ray lasers or gamma lasers is that IRL we do not know how to make a lazing chamber which lazes in either of those spectrums. however, if this was an option, they would likely basically result in a laser which exploded on impact, as when a laser hits something, it throws up a 'cloud' of dust which then reduces the effectiveness of a solid-beam laser, however when using X-rays or gamma rays, there would be so much more energy in the waves that they would cause extremely fast heating of the target, resulting in what appears to be an explosion.

in regards to mirrors: there should be a different mirror block for each range of waves, and perhaps a much more expensive mirror which could change its reflectivity to reflect a larger range of waves

Perhaps in the production of the laser, you could make many different lazing chambers, which are interchangeable but each produces a different color of light

also there should be a chemical laser, which uses some sort of fuel (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chemical_laser), and a electrical laser which consumes a large amount of energy, but which can be charged(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free-electron_laser)

also, not sure if this should be here or in the gregtech area, but maybe add a laser which is designed to result in fusion, so there is an alternative to the tokamak, but which must be cooled substantially(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertial_confinement_fusion)

lastly, cooling the laser is a big problem with lasers, so maybe to nerf them a bit you would be forced to use coolant, (liquid air for low tier, then liquid nitrogen for mid tier, then liquid helium for high tier)