HI, another noob question :) upgrading reactor

• I would like to upgrade my current reactor to one with more chambers. I currently have 3, and would like to upgrade to 9.

Is this as simple as taking reactor offline, placing back in crafting table and adding more reactor chambers?

Is the footprint still one block?

I want to upgrade my reactor from the "Beginner Reactor 3", that I built using the recipe from the New Design sticky, to the "HIgh Efficiecy zero running cost" from the same sticky. The Beginner 3 has worked well for two builds, but I'm getting to the point 100 EU/t isn't quite satisfactory. OK, it works, but I want more power :thumbup:

Thanks in advance. :)

As an aside, for the second build, in that world I skipped the standard solar panels completely and went right to the beginner reactor. Time and resources much more well spent IMO. I haven't done an actual cost benefit analysis, but my previous experience building an array with 0ver 100 panels, for what you get, I wont ever do that again. After that I built a few advanced panels for my miner.

• Official Post

In the world, just in case that wasn't obvious.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Choco, HA! :D

Ok, so because I am a noob I hadn't done the thing I see a lot of people talking about, going in creative mode to experiment. :whistling:

I now have a working 9 chamber reactor. We'll see if it blows a huge hole in my creative world. :thumbup:

Containment? Nah. :Nuke TNT:

• Yes Spwn, took me a couple minutes to figure out that additional reactor chambers must touch the main reactor.

So, report.

12 uranium cells
    15 overclocked heat vents
    15 component heat vents
    5 heat exchangers
    1 reactor heat exchanger
    1 component heat exchanger

Pretty cheap IMO, I wish I had built this one to start with.

So far, no degradation or heat or adverse affects that I can tell. I thought it was cool till I hooked it to an MFSU, then threw 5 Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panels on a seperate MFSU to see which would fill faster.

:/

• Official Post

took me a couple minutes to figure out that additional reactor chambers must touch the main reactor.

You can place reactor chambers without them touching a reactor now? They used to only be placeable on a reactor, otherwise they would refuse to place

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

I see this too much.

• Official Post

By reactor chambers do you mean the reactor blocks themselves? Ultimate Hybrid Solars beat any other power sources anyway space wise

I see this too much.

• By reactor chambers do you mean the reactor blocks themselves? Ultimate Hybrid Solars beat any other power sources anyway space wise

Yes, they are called reactor chambers are they not? There are 3 inside the basic reactor block, then an additional 6 (edited from 3 :/) reactor chambers can be attached to the outside of that original reactor, making 9 columns total inside. Semantics really, I'm sure you already know this. :D

Yes, the Ultimate Hybrids are pretty amazing. And expensive. I just built a matter fabricator and recycler so I can manufacture iridium and something else.

I've also just discovered underwater mining in my creative world. :D

• The usual convention for naming reactors based on their size refers to the number of EXTRA chambers placed around the reactor core- so the core alone is a zero-chamber reactor, and the largest possible is a 6-chamber reactor.

Thus, a nuke with 9 columns in its GUI is referred to as a 6-chamber reactor.

If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

• Official Post

Yes, they are called reactor chambers are they not?

Oh ok, thought you meant the extension ones :S

I see this too much.

• Oh ok, thought you meant the extension ones :S

I did. According to IC those are labeled Reactor Chambers. 3 Reactor Chambers assembled with a generator and advanced circuit are a Nuclear Reactor. Then, to increase the number of cores, you add additional Reactor Chambers to the outside of the Nuclear Reactor, with each Reactor Chamber having 3 columns respectively.

http://prntscr.com/2s5xji

You are living up to your sig. :whistling::D

On another note, this reactor is a leap above the Beginner Reactor. 5x the EU for twice the cost. I wish I had built it first. :(

• Official Post

I thought you meant you could place the Reactor Chambers without them touching a normal Nuclear Reactor.
    And yes, my sig fits my descriptions well :D

Post 1775

I see this too much.

• I thought you meant you could place the Reactor Chambers without them touching a normal Nuclear Reactor.
    And yes, my sig fits my descriptions well :D

Post 1775

lol. No. Here's what I originally wrote.

"Yes Spwn, took me a couple minutes to figure out that additional reactor chambers must touch the main reactor.

:thumbup:

• Official Post

My bad :S

I see this too much.