Reactor Automation help

• Hey,

I'm really hoping some of you guys can give me a hand here. I'm using the 420 Eu/T reactor design from the main thread. It's working really well. Got 2 of the beasts running giving me 840.

What I really need is some help automating the swapout of depleted cells for new one's. I've read an read and read on this subject and I just don't know how I can make it work. There's the applied energistic's way. Using import and export bus's. That wont work in this case as there are empty slots in the reactor design. It would just throw the cells in the first available slot and burn the reactor out.

Then there's the router way from factorization. That would work, but as far as I understand it with me having 7 quad cells you'd need 14 routers (7 in and 7 out) to make this work. I don't think that would work either.

So my question is, how on earth do you guys automate this stuff? I'm using Direwolf20's modpack 1.0.17.

On top of that do you find you need to stay with all dual or all quad cell setups? Or is there also a way I am not aware of to automate mixed fuel cells?

This is giving me serious serious grief and I would really really appreciate some help here.

Thanks

• Put useless items in the empty slots and then try.

I'm not scared of blowing it. I just do not know how to go about changing out items via specific slots without the use of an insane number of routers that afaik have to be touching the nuke (not enough sides)

As I explained earlier ME import / export bus's won't work as you cannot specify slot.

I want suggestions on how others do it. As I've spent nearly a week now trying what I know of, to no avail.

• Official Post

I'm not scared of blowing it. I just do not know how to go about changing out items via specific slots without the use of an insane number of routers that afaik have to be touching the nuke (not enough sides)

As I explained earlier ME import / export bus's won't work as you cannot specify slot.

I want suggestions on how others do it. As I've spent nearly a week now trying what I know of, to no avail.

Here's something about Routers: They need to be connected to the inventories to be able to transport between them. And atleast in this version (for MC 1.2.5), Routers could send items to inventories that were connected with eachother with Buildcraft pipes; even connecting the Router with the nuclear reactor using cobblestone structure pipes worked, as those are considered an inventory (not sure if this has changed).
    So you can have all your Routers stacked away somewhere safe and far from your Nuke and just run a simple line of Buildcraft cobblestone structure pipes and they should work.

• Here's something about Routers: They need to be connected to the inventories to be able to transport between them. And atleast in this version (for MC 1.2.5), Routers could send items to inventories that were connected with eachother with Buildcraft pipes; even connecting the Router with the nuclear reactor using cobblestone structure pipes worked, as those are considered an inventory (not sure if this has changed).
    So you can have all your Routers stacked away somewhere safe and far from your Nuke and just run a simple line of Buildcraft cobblestone structure pipes and they should work.

That I did not know. I will give that a go. Stack routers on top of one another, pipe em to the Nuke and set each router to extract and put to specific slots !!!

Cheers Pal.

• You can plug the empty slots with basic Reactor Plating; it's the cheapest component that you can actually fit into the reactor, and it'll make things a bit safer to boot. Then, you can have one ME Export Bus or Supplier Logistics Pipe (I recommend a Precision bus, set to send single items and craft- Logipipes craft automatically, if necessary) supplying quad cells to the empty slots (which, in a Mark 1 reactor, should only be fuel slots- unless you didn't plug the holes or some components burned up, but then you already had problems), and an ME Import Bus or emerald pipe set to extract the depleted cells.

Also note that Routers can connect to inventories through other inventories, including other routers. You really only need eight or nine routers- one to insert uranium into each of the seven fuel slots in the reactor, one to pull all the depleted cells, and maybe another to spread uranium out among the first seven.

I've already explained this here. Also note that there is a video near the end of that thread that tries to explain this even better.

Alternatively, you can use Steve's Factory Manager to do the work of dozens of routers in a single block. I was impressed.
    Just stick the Machine Inventory Manager between your nuke and an ME Interface set to stock a few fuel cells, spend a few minutes configuring it, and you should be good to go.

If you stare at my avatar hard enough, you'll notice that it consists of three triangular rings, interlocked in such a way that if you were to remove any one of them, the other two would be free to float apart.

• Solved

Thanks for the input guys. Ended up plugging all the free slots with reactor plating. Then using ME precision import / export bus's to pull out depleted and insert Uranium cells.

Thank you so much :)

• http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…on9lt7xgoqiv37kb0brx9nyy0 - The most efficient reactor ever built :) produces 6800 EU/t

Excuse me, this is not a place where you can hijack threads, especially when it is offtopic.

If you want to brag about your reactor, post in somewhere. Not in this thread. Especially when it is from nearly two months ago.

Finally, your reactor is not that efficient, in many aspects such as resources/output (usage of neutron reflectors), coolant cell usage, and raw output.