Reactor efficiency

• I'm new to IC2 experimental, and I've just designed my first reactor to power a mass fabricator. The reactor design seems to be perfectly fine from what I've seen of other peoples reactors, I'm getting 260 EU/tick with an efficiency of 4.33. However, now that I'm looking in the scanner, it says that fabricating a single uranium ore will take 6 of the 10 buckets of UU matter a full cycle with 3 quad uranium cells produced. Please tell me that I've done something horrifyingly wrong and that this isn't how pointlessly inefficient the new version of UU matter is.

• UUM is not meant for fuel production. Although you have the ability to produce it for whatever you wish (for example, breeding plutonium for RTGs).

Let me put it another way. A state of the art reactor made with almost a thousand copper, as well as several hundred iron, fueled by effectively 12 uranium ore per cycle, can't even generate enough UU matter in a complete cycle to make a single diamond. It could also make almost a stack of rubber. Regardless of what I'm making with UU matter, with the power requirements involved it is more efficient to simply not waste the time on this mod. In the time I could gather the uranium to run my reactor, I could easily just gather whatever the UU matter would replicate. This is not even mentioning the time spent making the reactor itself. IC2 might as well introduce a new tool-the fluffy mittens. They require 8 hours of work to craft, after which they allow you to do whatever you normally would, but at a 50% slower rate! How novel!

Edit:Double checking math, more to follow.

Edit 2, it appears to be taking 10m EU to make 1 bucket of UUM. My reactor generated just above 100M EU in its first full cycle consuming 3 quad cells (12 total cells). That translates to roughly 8.333 million EU per cell, and at 3 ore per 2 refined fuel, 5.56m eu per ore. In order to make 1 UUM you're looking at 1.8 uranium ore. At this we're looking at the following exchange rates, which generously ignore the power requirements of the scanner and replicator-
    1 lapis=4.4 uranium ore
    1 gold=9.9 uranium ore
    1 diamond=18.2 uranium ore
    1 redstone-0.76 uranium ore
    1 uranium ore=12 uranium ore
    1 copper=0.63 uranium ore
    If my math is incorrect, I'd be happy to find out but to me it seems like this entire mod is a timesink with no actual return. I am now a few days of time and quite a bit of resources behind when I started trying this mod out and I have no useful or interesting things to show for it. It would take a month of playing with no other uses for uranium to make the production of a reactor worthwhile. Just to repay the copper that went into my reactor design, ignoring the material and power costs of the other machines required to use UU matter, I would have to hope to find 520 uranium ore. Accounting for the entire process would push that figure up by another 30% or so. On top of that, copper is one of the cheapest to make items. If I find some free time I might come back and calculate the entire amount of uranium ore required to break even on production of this system.

My reactor design-
    http://www.talonfiremage.pwp.b…tkgvt4wa7klu3kvkqhwmrdnnk

Reactor resources cost in uranium-
    copper-520 uranium
    tin- 82 uranium
    iron- 399 uranium
    gold- 276 uranium
    rubber- less than 1 uranium
    Redstone- 3 uranium
    lapis- 8 uranium
    total= roughly 1288 uranium ore

• The reactor planner is freaking outdated, don't bother to look at the resources tab.

On a side note, UU cost for production has been scaled down to millibuckets last I remembered.

• The reactor planner is freaking outdated, don't bother to look at the resources tab.

On a side note, UU cost for production has been scaled down to millibuckets last I remembered.

I produced the reactor and I can assure you it used up at least 2/3rds of what it said (I believe all of it but I didn't count). The costs are shown in milibuckets but most endgame mats are in the thousands to produce.

• I produced the reactor and I can assure you it used up at least 2/3rds of what it said (I believe all of it but I didn't count). The costs are shown in milibuckets but most endgame mats are in the thousands to produce.

Hmm. I could have sworn they reduced the costs a thousand-fold, unless you are still on 1.6.4.

In 1.7.x versions, you can edit IC2.ini and change the UU value of the items.

• Hmm. I could have sworn they reduced the costs a thousand-fold, unless you are still on 1.6.4.

In 1.7.x versions, you can edit IC2.ini and change the UU value of the items.

I'm still in 1.6.4 for the modpack I'm playing so that's probably it. I still just don't see any defense for the atrocious ratio of mats required to product produced. Iridium has the highest cost of anything at 1 per roughly 40 uranium ore consumed in my reactor setup. Whatever, I guess the gregtech signature says it all. I'm going to go do something else, no point in a mod where I can spend 8 hours making a machine to convert all of the uranium I've mined in a week to a single diamond (or half an iridium ore). You gregtech guys are ridiculous.

• Official Post

Try this mod, if I remember rightly, it allows you to change the amount of UU is needed to replicate stuff. The other alternative is to change how much EU is needed per bucket in the IC2 config ;)

• Try this mod, if I remember rightly, it allows you to change the amount of UU is needed to replicate stuff. The other alternative is to change how much EU is needed per bucket in the IC2 config ;)

Thank you very much! :D

• Official Post

See people, that's how you solve boo hoo UU is too expensive problems :P

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• See people, that's how you solve boo hoo UU is too expensive problems :P

To be fair I still firmly believe that whoever established the ratio was a tad shortsighted, the main thing you have to use UU matter to get is the quantum armor, and why would anyone want to waste the immense amounts of resources required to make one of the oldest suits out there? Don't get me wrong back in the day IC was the shit but I just don't understand leaving the same old endgame items but with new and much more monotonous costs. I'd love to see a new and improved IC2, I just don't get why and how you guys are changing it.

• Official Post

I haven't even looked into what's happened to UU recently, since the things you can scan and repliacate kept changing, as did the amounts of UU they took. As long as there is a way of changing it, I'm pretty sure people can work out their own version of balance. The Q-Suit at least used to still work out great, since all the armour avoiding attacks didn't avoid the Chestplate's immortal effect. Not sure if that's been fixed though.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• See people, that's how you solve boo hoo UU is too expensive problems :P

I haven't even looked into what's happened to UU recently, since the things you can scan and repliacate kept changing, as did the amounts of UU they took. As long as there is a way of changing it, I'm pretty sure people can work out their own version of balance. The Q-Suit at least used to still work out great, since all the armour avoiding attacks didn't avoid the Chestplate's immortal effect. Not sure if that's been fixed though.

this is the most powerfull statement i think ever!
    if you don't feel its balanced.. fix it! no other game really offers you this oportunity!

I wish i knew enough to make a mod directly that added a new recipie for things like glass fibre ( reguarding a issue i had with it before that i felt was balanced, editing the mod caused some recipies to dissappeare )