Theroy Idea of a massive EU farm without glass Fibre ( or minimal) to power a replicator non nuclear

• I have this idea that a design could exist for a massive EU farm solar or wind to minimize or eliminate the need to use glass fibre for a replicator/mass fab.
    the idea would be expensive but would use copper cables in a line many parrallel or square shaped but with spaces/painting wire and using lots and lots of batt boxes to move the energy to a central location.
    then using transformers to combine in some form till we reach the mass fab.

is this possable but insanely expensive or just silly?

I want to know about this more because i wonder how easy it would be to move energy from one place to another

• Just silly.

If you try this on any substantial server and on a large-scale, you'll probably be banned from the performance issues. 16 chunks area in solar should be enough to start causing significant lag. Not sure about wind power, but if you use SpwnX's windmill design probably a few hundred towers will start causing lag.

In current IC2, power storages are unnecessary (in fact diminish power output) and you can just use tin cables since there is no cable loss.

Instead of 1k solar panels, try about 5 to 8 nukes. Of course, if you don't want nuclear power, that's the price you have to pay.

EDIT: If you want a massive EU farm though, a few small arrays of RTGs should be sufficient.

• well the issue i see is i am in SMP.. not a server :)
    second i don't know why everyone is not planning for WHEN cables DO BLOW UP!! or have the devs decided to nix that idea??

I do see the RTG's as my desired long term power gen system.. not sure how to get things started with them though :( ( i am planning to wait till all the nuke stuff is done and the EU systems are restored )

• Official Post

second i don't know why everyone is not planning for WHEN cables DO BLOW UP!! or have the devs decided to nix that idea??

Because Player is slow and our worlds will probably not last that long :P And Compact Solar Arrays. Suddenly lag = gone.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• well the issue i see is i am in SMP.. not a server :)

I do see the RTG's as my desired long term power gen system.. not sure how to get things started with them though :( ( i am planning to wait till all the nuke stuff is done and the EU systems are restored )

SMP is a server. Well, so is SSP, but never mind that. Regardless if you are on SMP or SSP, there will still be lag.

There is no point doing the cable-batbox technique because packets will be reimplemented eventually. The reason they got rid of it was so they could optimize the E-Net. You still can't avoid resistance though, because resistance will be per block, but not per n-blocks, and will scale depending on cable packet tolerance.

• SMP is a server. Well, so is SSP, but never mind that. Regardless if you are on SMP or SSP, there will still be lag.

There is no point doing the cable-batbox technique because packets will be reimplemented eventually. The reason they got rid of it was so they could optimize the E-Net. You still can't avoid resistance though, because resistance will be per block, but not per n-blocks, and will scale depending on cable packet tolerance.

( ramble warning questions/thoughts put down as they came to me)
    your right it is a server for SMP just saying i am not worried about lagging caused by that..

Question then, will there be a config option to allow people to use cables longer if they wish?

I don't mind the function of loss after X blocks ( if there is a config so i can get it to feel "right" to me i will be happy ) but i would like to think with such a setting someone could say use HV cables rather the glass fibre..

Or have a option where HV can go a long distance but requires refreshing IE some new block or 2 transformers to keep it going with less loss?

reguardless your right there should be loss on cables do to leangth ( real world resistance) i feel that some cables being good for only one block is silly and the only multi block one is insanely expensive to run any distance

in the real world most appliances are DC volatage since its most effeiciant locally and they transmit long distances using AC current over a diffrent wire but using massivly increased voltage which helps overcome alot of resistance...
    I would say long runs could go transformer to transformer and have X loss in transformers to convert ( a cost to run a long distance ) but have HV cables be the main wire between those!
    IE HV wire wont hook up to anything BUT transformers or if you tried the packet/power would blow anything up without question! ( exception would be power generation blocks they would be able to add to the charge and not be shorted out? maybe?)

you would use copper or tin for local transformation!