gregtech will it merge with IC2 or just be a close cousin?

• the reason i ask is i see so much IE the canningmachine thats build to work with it directly, or have more complexity then i feel is good for a mod.

I am also not wanting to install it because i don't think it would update in my current maps and i have built alot already and just don't want to rebuild again.

so three questions.

1. how complex is gregtech to add to the current experimental build.

2. will it update my maps to add the things it uses directly IE oil/other special resources

3. do grettech machines run on EU or have a easy conversion?

• 1. It's easy to install, not really required though.
    2. Possibly. you must have the same ids as before (Move old config to new or transfer ids to new config)
    3. Yes, if you also use Buildcraft you can also run off of Joules (MJ).

• 1. It's easy to install, not really required though.
    2. Possibly. you must have the same ids as before (Move old config to new or transfer ids to new config)
    3. Yes, if you also use Buildcraft you can also run off of Joules (MJ).

I think he meant to merge with IC2, not add to the modlist along with IC2.
    (also the BC power conversion is broken atm afaik)

1. I am neither Greg nor Player/Thunderdark but I imagine it would be a nightmare to add to the current experimental build. The mods are massively different, and Greg literally just finished the biggest part of his total rewrite.

2. It would most likely not update the maps unless it implemented some form of retrogen (where world generation spawns after the world is created) which would be god awful, because Gregtech ore generation is monumentally different from IC2's

3.No Gregtech machines run off EU (after version 5.00) except the transformers. Yes it is easy to convert afaik, but not only have I not tried, but I imagine it would be less than fun. Anyway, most IC2 machines are replaced by Gregtech when Gregtech is installed.

Essentially, don't expect it, it would really suck for the developers, your maps would be destroyed, and don't worry about them being cousins. It is what enables choice in the modding community.

• IC2 machines can run off Greg EU directly.

If you wish to convert from IC2 EU to Greg EU, use GT transformers.

• IC2 machines can run off Greg EU directly.

If you wish to convert from IC2 EU to Greg EU, use GT transformers.

I can understand some conversions for EU.. esp if they don't have things set firmly reguarding the IC EU...
    the problem i see is some IC items are becoming more difficult without it or easier with it.. its.. troubling..

i love IC2.. but buildcraft adds more then i am willing to tackle..

I just sorta with they both would merge and make it easier?

I did not think re-doing chunks is a option really.. what would i loose out on? oil? what ores come with gregtech specifically that are used?

am i missing a post or summary as to what all gregtech does that IC2 does not do or does better? i know the quarry ( not my ideal i prefer the miner that just gets the items ( also wonder what the advanced miner will do diffrent))

I know tubes to move things.. but imho hoppers can do that pretty well... are tubes cheaper? better?

• Tubes are way better: you're not bound to the hopper transfer limit any more.
    Tubes are also cheaper and can bring items up, instead of only down or on the sides (yes, I know you can use the dropper, but it takes a lot of room, and it is also really expensive, whereas you can use your redstone for other things).
    Also, BC quarry digs a big hole, but it also mines the cobblestone of your recycler to transform it into scrap, thus allowing you to produce more UU matter.

• Tubes are way better: you're not bound to the hopper transfer limit any more.
    Tubes are also cheaper and can bring items up, instead of only down or on the sides (yes, I know you can use the dropper, but it takes a lot of room, and it is also really expensive, whereas you can use your redstone for other things).
    Also, BC quarry digs a big hole, but it also mines the cobblestone of your recycler to transform it into scrap, thus allowing you to produce more UU matter.

hmmm i will have to look at this then if i ever do another world.. or decide to add another base thats not in a spawned area ( to generate things on the map )
    not sure what you mean but the big hole comment.. how do you have enough boxes to fit all that stuff :)

also i have not gotten to UU matter yet :/

• Well, if I remember well, BC quarries dig on a surface of 9x9 to go to the bedrock. All the items that you don't need (i.e. cobblestone, dirt...) can be turned into scrap, and I would rather do it really early in the game, just to be sure I'll have enough scrap for the late game. Moreover, it has some advantages compared to IC2's miner: you don't have to craft a lot of mining pipes.
    Also: assuming we are mining from sea level, with a regular quarry (you can change the shape of the mining area), you would have 64x9x9 blocks (=5184), which can fit into a chest, just needing 18 spaces if you're really not lucky and do not find any ore, otherwise, I would say that 25-30 slots are way enough for a single run (bear in mind that a chest allows you to have 27 slots).