New tools to get distilled water

• I don't know if it is already implemented, so do not flame me because I have not that knowledge. I have to stick to 1.6.4 because of some mods not updating (their update will be soon, though), and I have abosutlely no way, except asking someone, to know if what I'm gonna propose is actually implemented.

I would propose other ways to get distilled water. If I'm not mistaken, you get distilled water by producing steam, requiring to boil water thanks to a boiler and a heat producer.
    I would propose another way to get distilled water: since distilled water is only evaporated water, I thought Steve would be smart if he decided to collect the water that come from the sky: rain. If that water is present in the form of clouds, it is because it got enough energy to evaporate, and then condense into micro-drops. When the little drops come all together and form large drops, they fall. In that process, they could not find any ion, therefore, they are like distilled water.

Also, I would like to introduce another way of generating heat. It is a way that is more and more used, because it is free (although you have to pay for the device), easy to produce, and easy to place: the thermal solar panel. It is just composed of tubes, with water inside, placed in a dark chamber. As if there is anough light, the solar panel will heat up the water.
    For the recipe, I would say it is the same as the solar panel, except that you put ink sacs instead of coal dust, and a tube instead of the generator.
    It would make a lot of sense in a desert biome, or a sunny environment.

What do you think?

• Official Post

I like both the ideas, but I'm pretty sure distilled water is a little more than just condensed water vapour IRL, so just gathering from the environment kinda skips the boiler tree too much for me.
    As for the solar heater, I really like the concept, and can see it being a little useless, but cheap too. So it kinda balances out.

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• I like the Idea too. But i must agree Chocohead: Rainwater collect some dirt paritcles which are in the air but destillet water have no chance to do that ;)

Industrial Craft 2 is the Best mod ever :thumbup:

P.S. Sorry for any mistake. I come from Germany ;) :whistling:

• But rain water contains very few ions.
    Though, I understand that it will bring some dirt that is in the air.

Also, you know, when it rains outside, you don't collect much. Or you would need a big surface where the water is collected.

• solar wate distiller:

covert water - > distilled water passive over time depending on biom typ (warn,normal, cold) and need direct sunlight like solarpanal..
    but take long time...

Hot Biom = 6h for 1000mb
    normal Biom =12h for 1000mb
    cold Biom =24h for 1000mb

Recipe : are still planning

• 6 hours? Come on...
    (OK, ok, we are heating up 1 m^3 here. But it still seems very long).

Would it be possible to have mirrors. I mean, the kind of mirrors that can deflect sun light to concentrate it on a point (like in these solar powerplants: )

• Official Post

However for that thing above you wouldnt be able to use water anymore, but some other material to accept all the heat. Usually molten salt, but nothing stops us from using the already existing coolant liquid and generating hot coolant afterwards, right?

Also if you lack coolant, the tower will overheat and melt down into lava :D

^ To synthetize the above:

Solar Tower Boiler, checks for Solar Mirrors in an area of 15x15
    Tower structure is a 3x3x3 building of "Solar Tower structural block" and on top of it a 3x2x3 made of "Solar Receptor block"

Each solar mirror will output a certain hU/t that is transfered to the tower.
    Solar Tower Boiler will output hot coolant based on the hU/t it receives from all the mirrors.

• Ah! The site just diconnected me and I lost all of what I wrote! AAAHHH !

Well, I was just saying: supposing the mirros are the same size than the solar panels, if I'm correct, we need 100 hU to boil a cubic meter of water.
    In a desert, a solar panel boils that water in six hours, as there are 20 ticks/sec, in 6 hours, we have 6*3600*20 ticks, so 432 000 ticks.

So 100/432000= 2,314814814814815*10^(-4) hU/tick.
    It is too small (for me), maybe it would be better if the system was based on Joules rather than hU?

• Solar Tower, Water Turbine,... It all sounds quite nice

but currently we are only two aktive DEV...for programming,create guis,create texture ,bugfixing , Balancing and read forum ;)
    a good Looking Solar Tower with animated Solar Mirrors is not feasible in the current personnel strength

• Sure, as the light comes from abov anyway.
    Though, it would look strange with GLSL Shaders mod. :D

• Official Post

What you guys are describing sounds terribly like what Factorization's mirrors and steam boiler are like

145 Mods isn't too many. 9 types of copper and 8 types of tin aren't too many. 3 types of coffee though?

I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you read was not what I meant.

---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
    // I just don't know what went wrong :(

I see this too much.

• Maybe. Though, I did not copy the idea. I just had it.

• But rain water contains very few ions.
    Though, I understand that it will bring some dirt that is in the air.

Also, you know, when it rains outside, you don't collect much. Or you would need a big surface where the water is collected.

Well someone could make a new type of liquid wich is nearly to destilled water and can be easier destilled than normal water.

EDIT: Mabye the recipe can be:
    PSP
    CBC
    XXX

X= Nothing
    C=Cell
    B=Boiler
    P= Copper Plate
    S=Solar Panel

Edited once, last by JanXP ().

• Or maybe also an Advanced Solar Boilder...
    Suggestion : (Could Boil the same amout of Water 3x Times faster

SSS
    CBC
    CCC

S=Solar Panel
    C=Copper Plate
    B=Boiler

• btw, the idea that rain is pure water is totally false, ever hear of acid rain?

That sound like every rain is acid rain but if that would be we coudn't talk about that here ;)
    I Think that Minecraft Steve is an very Eco guy :) and even 3-5 Generators wouldn't cause acid rain^^

• Official Post

Note that rain is acid by nature due the fact that there are CO2 in the atmosphere which when in contact of rainwater turns into a weak acid called H2CO3.

The acid rain problems we have is when the rain is way too acid due sulphur compounds are mixed on.